Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

As an aside, if we do a "street fighter" esque tournament (it'd make sense with these guys because they're fighting on the streets), the storyline better be able to evoke these types of feelings:

Tomorrow, we leave for the kumite indeed!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    No problem. All critiques are welcome. Yes, the idea has potential, but it certainly has been done in other ways.

.....I'm digging this. Initially reading it, I felt a little nervous. Displaced immigrant groups, decentralized movements, themes of race, I don't think I have to tell anyone that this is very serious stuff, especially now. But, it definitely touches on things that have always been part of urban settings. Though I still love the idea of heroes battling organized bad guys, that story can only be told so much. And perhaps the story has to change. In the 70s, 80s, and 90s, heroes handled crime by being tough on criminals. Now we're starting to realize that the "criminals" aren't the bad guys at all, just folks caught up in systemic racism and a lack of opportunity. (Honestly, that's how a lot of gangs started out, right? Especially here in America. Just a group of poor and disenfranchised people who banded together because the other groups treated them like #$^$.)

I could see there being divides among the street level heroes. Punisher and Moon Knight are less tolerant on this than Luke Cage and Shang Chi. Misty Knight would feel differently on how the police could handle this than Iron Fist. Daredevil believes in a fair law system while Falcon and Battlestar know that isn't always the case. You have the young kids, Pei, White Tiger, and Power Man who feel their own ways on the matter. Spider-Man's in there just to make sure everyone gets along. And then you have Black Panther and Kilmonger trying to win hearts and minds. (Throw the Kingpin in there too, just to make things more interesting.)

Wow, this is really good stuff!
    Indeed, it is. You summed it up better than I could, though I'd still ask, when it comes to Spider-Man's involvement, "Which one?" Because Peter Parker could be the guy who just wants to protect everyone and help make sure some measure of justice is achieved for those that need it, while Miles Morales might feel more of a personal and/or cultural connection with this particular situation in light of his own roots.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Indeed, it is. You summed it up better than I could, though I'd still ask, when it comes to Spider-Man's involvement, "Which one?" Because Peter Parker could be the guy who just wants to protect everyone and help make sure some measure of justice is achieved for those that need it, while Miles Morales might feel more of a personal and/or cultural connection with this particular situation in light of his own roots.
    There's room for both. Peter thinking he knows oppression because he was Flash Thompson's butt-boy back when could make for some terrific conversations between them.

Boisterously Confused

No problem. All critiques are welcome. Yes, the idea has potential, but it certainly has been done in other ways.

.....I'm digging this. Initially reading it, I felt a little nervous. Displaced immigrant groups, decentralized movements, themes of race, I don't think I have to tell anyone that this is very serious stuff, especially now. But, it definitely touches on things that have always been part of urban settings. Though I still love the idea of heroes battling organized bad guys, that story can only be told so much. And perhaps the story has to change. In the 70s, 80s, and 90s, heroes handled crime by being tough on criminals. Now we're starting to realize that the "criminals" aren't the bad guys at all, just folks caught up in systemic racism and a lack of opportunity. (Honestly, that's how a lot of gangs started out, right? Especially here in America. Just a group of poor and disenfranchised people who banded together because the other groups treated them like #$^$.)

I could see there being divides among the street level heroes. Punisher and Moon Knight are less tolerant on this than Luke Cage and Shang Chi. Misty Knight would feel differently on how the police could handle this than Iron Fist. Daredevil believes in a fair law system while Falcon and Battlestar know that isn't always the case. You have the young kids, Pei, White Tiger, and Power Man who feel their own ways on the matter. Spider-Man's in there just to make sure everyone gets along. And then you have Black Panther and Kilmonger trying to win hearts and minds. (Throw the Kingpin in there too, just to make things more interesting.)

Wow, this is really good stuff!
    BTW: I'm flattered by you both. This is an idea that's been percolating with me since reading Priest's very excellent Enemy Of The State. Why a King ignores his realm to hangout with Earth's Mightiest has never made sense to me. Priest's answer that T'Challa was doing espionage was workable, but - for me - inadequate. Why'd he keep coming back when he already had access?

A modification on the notion that's occurred to me would be to throw some kind of analog for The Bugaloo Bois into the mix. The idea needs somebody everybody can hate so you can give sympathetic moments to the established Marvel gangsters, and makes room for somebody like Crossbones, or even The Red Skull to play a role.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    There's room for both. Peter thinking he knows oppression because he was Flash Thompson's butt-boy back when could make for some terrific conversations between them.
    That, or because he himself was scapegoated by the media (i.e. Jameson) and recurrently treated with suspicion by the NYPD when they weren't flat-out hunting him down for whatever crime they assumed he committed.

BTW: I'm flattered by you both. This is an idea that's been percolating with me since reading Priest's very excellent Enemy Of The State. Why a King ignores his realm to hangout with Earth's Mightiest has never made sense to me. Priest's answer that T'Challa was doing espionage was workable, but - for me - inadequate. Why'd he keep coming back when he already had access?

A modification on the notion that's occurred to me would be to throw some kind of analog for The Bugaloo Bois into the mix. The idea needs somebody everybody can hate so you can give sympathetic moments to the established Marvel gangsters, and makes room for somebody like Crossbones, or even The Red Skull to play a role.
    Oh, definitely. If there was any good that came out of Nick Spencer's Captain America run, it was updating the likes of the Red Skull, Crossbones, and HYDRA for a more contemporary examination of how fascism could infiltrate, rise within, and ultimately overtake a nation's society and culture. Given that Crossbones was a sadistic thug even before the Red Skull came into the picture, I could see him using what he learned from the Skull to drum up a following of similarly minded bastards and direct them at the Dispossessed.

No problem, bro. It's all about support here . Rereading your pitch, I definitely think there's a lot that could be explored here. Big question is how would these members of the Dispossessed feel about Wakanda? Oh sure, T'Challa is a great leader and inspiration.....but he's a part of that system that threw my innocent parents in a detention camp. Now, he's trying to make things better? Treats them like crap and thinks that he can forget what Wakanda did to them? I can see a scene where the son of a political prisoner walks right up to T'Challa, looks him in the eyes, and just spits in his face. The guy is THAT defiant against a king. And Black Panther would just stoically take it. Because he knows he deserves some of that.

That's good stuff.

Oh, definitely. If there was any good that came out of Nick Spencer's Captain America run, it was updating the likes of the Red Skull, Crossbones, and HYDRA for a more contemporary examination of how fascism could infiltrate, rise within, and ultimately overtake a nation's society and culture. Given that Crossbones was a sadistic thug even before the Red Skull came into the picture, I could see him using what he learned from the Skull to drum up a following of similarly minded bastards and direct them at the Dispossessed.
    I could see how the real bad guys of the MU would take advantage of this. Since the movement is taking place in cities all across America, president needs help. And who comes up with the solution but the mayor of NYC, Wilson Fisk! He comes up with an "urban pacification" plan to be implemented in these cities. He states that "Crime doesn't pay!" while the audience just eyerolls. He suggests using units of Americops to halt all of this. NYC is especially in need of pacification so Fisk has a secret special unit, composed of Crossbones, Mr. X, Taskmaster, and other toughs, psychos, and mercs from across the Marvel Universe. They get things done in the middle of the night. All the while, Fisk is on the side making deals, talking with the criminal gangs displaced by the Dispossessed, and telling them that business is going to be very good when all of these Dispossessed are finally done away with.

That, or because he himself was scapegoated by the media (i.e. Jameson) and recurrently treated with suspicion by the NYPD when they weren't flat-out hunting him down for whatever crime they assumed he committed.
    OOOooo, I like this idea! Pete and Miles have been pretty close every since Miles came to the main Marvel Universe. Now, this happens. Pretty soon, the bond between Pete and Miles is tested and their bonds are strained. Is one's pain and suffering like the other's? The only thing I hope is that they find a common ground towards the end of the story and that relationship is still there.
    "I am a man of peace."

No problem, bro. It's all about support here . Rereading your pitch, I definitely think there's a lot that could be explored here. Big question is how would these members of the Dispossessed feel about Wakanda? Oh sure, T'Challa is a great leader and inspiration.....but he's a part of that system that threw my innocent parents in a detention camp. Now, he's trying to make things better? Treats them like crap and thinks that he can forget what Wakanda did to them? I can see a scene where the son of a political prisoner walks right up to T'Challa, looks him in the eyes, and just spits in his face. The guy is THAT defiant against a king. And Black Panther would just stoically take it. Because he knows he deserves some of that.

That's good stuff.

I could see how the real bad guys of the MU would take advantage of this. Since the movement is taking place in cities all across America, president needs help. And who comes up with the solution but the mayor of NYC, Wilson Fisk! He comes up with an "urban pacification" plan to be implemented in these cities. He states that "Crime doesn't pay!" while the audience just eyerolls. He suggests using units of Americops to halt all of this. NYC is especially in need of pacification so Fisk has a secret special unit, composed of Crossbones, Mr. X, Taskmaster, and other toughs, psychos, and mercs from across the Marvel Universe. They get things done in the middle of the night. All the while, Fisk is on the side making deals, talking with the criminal gangs displaced by the Dispossessed, and telling them that business is going to be very good when all of these Dispossessed are finally done away with.

OOOooo, I like this idea! Pete and Miles have been pretty close every since Miles came to the main Marvel Universe. Now, this happens. Pretty soon, the bond between Pete and Miles is tested and their bonds are strained. Is one's pain and suffering like the other's? The only thing I hope is that they find a common ground towards the end of the story and that relationship is still there.
    Thanks. I'm glad you like my contribution so far. I also like your idea of having at least some of the Dispossessed stubbornly refusing what they see as an attempt by Wakanda, in the person of T'Challa, to buy its way out of the karmic debt it's incurred for its past actions toward them, along with your idea of Fisk taking advantage of the situation to push "law and order" while making back-alley deals with certain gangs, which could be used as a parallel to contemporary events in real life.

Boisterously Confused

Thanks. I'm glad you like my contribution so far. I also like your idea of having at least some of the Dispossessed stubbornly refusing what they see as an attempt by Wakanda, in the person of T'Challa, to buy its way out of the karmic debt it's incurred for its past actions toward them, along with your idea of Fisk taking advantage of the situation to push "law and order" while making back-alley deals with certain gangs, which could be used as a parallel to contemporary events in real life.
    We've cracked it Mon Ami! Now, if we can just get John Nee on the phone.

We've cracked it Mon Ami! Now, if we can just get John Nee on the phone.
    Hmm, sounds good. Who's John Nee again?

Boisterously Confused

Hmm, sounds good. Who's John Nee again?
    Wiki had him listed as Marvel's publisher, but I didn't check it for currency.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Like many threads on here, I've been lurking around this one, just reading the ideas from more creative people. I didn't know what else to contribute beyond a martial arts tournament event but some have mentioned that already. However...

The Dispossessed
    I LOVE THIS! Sorry I had to snip away the rest

Should it be written as well as we hope, it's got the potential for great political intrigue, social commentary, character development and worldbuilding. As a Black Panther fan I toss Black Panther and Wakandan stories and events around my head but I've never really thought of anything this unique and this good. I love in particular the additional information this gives on T'Challa's adventures in America. It's a great addition to his decision to spy on the Avengers (and way better than what is retconned in his solo book). It's Wakanda-related in a way that doesn't necessarily make the whole country involved which usually makes me nervous when events are concerned.

My only criticisms are that I'm not entirely sure I like the name yet. 'The Dispossessed' sounds very occult and nefarious to me which makes them sound a little bit larger than being organised crime or a movement (unless that was your intention?). I also want to know how Latin Americans got into it. Not that I have a problem with them being involved, but I really want to know how because the origins of The Dispossessed is clearly rooted in Africans who essentially became African-Americans.

But overall it's a great, great idea.

Would you mind if I posted this on the Black Panther appreciation thread?
    Last edited by Blind Wedjat; 06-07-2020 at 01:25 PM.

Wiki had him listed as Marvel's publisher, but I didn't check it for currency.
    Thanks. I'll double check on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    Like many threads on here, I've been lurking around this one, just reading the ideas from more creative people. I didn't know what else to contribute beyond a martial arts tournament event but some have mentioned that already. However...

I LOVE THIS! Sorry I had to snip away the rest

Should it be written as well as we hope, it's got the potential for great political intrigue, social commentary, character development and worldbuilding. As a Black Panther fan I toss Black Panther and Wakandan stories and events around my head but I've never really thought of anything this unique and this good. I love in particular the additional information this gives on T'Challa's adventures in America. It's a great addition to his decision to spy on the Avengers (and way better than what is retconned in his solo book). It's Wakanda-related in a way that doesn't necessarily make the whole country involved which usually makes me nervous when events are concerned.

My only criticisms are that I'm not entirely sure I like the name yet. 'The Dispossessed' sounds very occult and nefarious to me which makes them sound a little bit larger than being organised crime or a movement (unless that was your intention?). I also want to know how Latin Americans got into it. Not that I have a problem with them being involved, but I really want to know how because the origins of The Dispossessed is clearly rooted in Africans who essentially became African-Americans.

But overall it's a great, great idea.

Would you mind if I posted this on the Black Panther appreciation thread?
    I'd say what gets Latin America involved is that, to my knowledge, a lot of Latin American countries used to be European colonies that were supported and enriched by the forced labor of enslaved Africans, so there would likely be a considerable population of African-descended peoples in those countries, among whom the Dispossessed could blend.

Thanks. I'll double check on that.

I'd say what gets Latin America involved is that, to my knowledge, a lot of Latin American countries used to be European colonies that were supported and enriched by the forced labor of enslaved Africans, so there would likely be a considerable population of African-descended peoples in those countries, among whom the Dispossessed could blend.
    Just to add on to that, I'd also assume that many young African-Americans and Latinos born in America would want to join this group because of the message. There's a common race as well as that shared struggle of oppression and discrimination. Also, yes, there might be engagement in "criminal activities" but the social benefit aspects of the Dispossessed are there as well. If you want to make it more relevant, you could tie this in with the "defund the police" movement that's going on right now. Supporters of this say that money used for law enforcement should now be channeled to social workers and mental health specialists. Maybe the Dispossessed would say and do this as well.

And just to make it clear, the street heroes are just REALLY caught up in the middle of this. Luke, Danny, Pei, Shang-Chi, the Daughters of the Dragon, both Spider-Men, the White Tigers, Power Man, Punisher, Moon Knight, Falcon, Ghost Rider, Cloak and Dagger, Elektra, Daredevil, (and to an extent Black Panther, though I'm thinking Luke would have serious reservations towards T'Challa), all of them would have to confront the Dispossessed, Wilson Fisk, and their own differing views on the situation.

I think though that the event should be on a local level, i.e. NYC. Yeah, I said before that I'd like to see a street event take place on other streets. Thinking it over however, if this becomes a national problem, then it becomes an Avengers problem. So for now, keep it to the NYC.
    "I am a man of peace."

Just to add on to that, I'd also assume that many young African-Americans and Latinos born in America would want to join this group because of the message. There's a common race as well as that shared struggle of oppression and discrimination. Also, yes, there might be engagement in "criminal activities" but the social benefit aspects of the Dispossessed are there as well. If you want to make it more relevant, you could tie this in with the "defund the police" movement that's going on right now. Supporters of this say that money used for law enforcement should now be channeled to social workers and mental health specialists. Maybe the Dispossessed would say and do this as well.

And just to make it clear, the street heroes are just REALLY caught up in the middle of this. Luke, Danny, Pei, Shang-Chi, the Daughters of the Dragon, both Spider-Men, the White Tigers, Power Man, Punisher, Moon Knight, Falcon, Ghost Rider, Cloak and Dagger, Elektra, Daredevil, (and to an extent Black Panther, though I'm thinking Luke would have serious reservations towards T'Challa), all of them would have to confront the Dispossessed, Wilson Fisk, and their own differing views on the situation.

I think though that the event should be on a local level, i.e. NYC. Yeah, I said before that I'd like to see a street event take place on other streets. Thinking it over however, if this becomes a national problem, then it becomes an Avengers problem. So for now, keep it to the NYC.
    Hmm, yeah, those are good points as well. As for avoiding bringing in the Avengers, that would also be a good idea, as the kind of escalation the Avengers would bring to bear could make things worse instead of better.

I LOVE STREET LEVEL EVENTS! I do wish Marvel did more of them.

Right off the top of my head, I have an idea in mind: Vampires in Brooklyn (Can anyone guess where I got the title from lol)

IT would go like this: Blade rolls into town looking for an informant of his that went silent. The informant is related to Whistler and so its a bit personal. Blade finds some vampires but is framed for the deaths of a few humans. This gets the attention of Spidey, Luke Cage, Misty Knight and Danny Rand. They get wrapped up in the Vampire war and need help which comes in the form of Daredevil, Jessica Jones and Finally the Punisher.

THey find the informant head to Brooklyn where a New Vampire Queen is about to be crowned. The street crew fight it out till morning.