Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default The Flash needs a Brand New Lead

Reading the Paradox storyline, I've become sure that we've reached the maximum Barry Allen and Wally West can offer to readers.

Unlike Batman and Superman, The Flash is built on the idea of passing the torch, so no one can tell me that we would be weirded out by a new Scarlet Speedster. All Barry stories became a repeat of the same thing and they don't add anything to franchise anymore.

Does it mean it's time to bring back Wally? No. Wally is beyond saving. He's as obsolole as Kyle and Tim, only exists to bring as a gimmick to fans. No but seriously! Wally is nothing but a walking event gimmick for sales. There is absolutely nothing interesting about him in regards to his personality.

It's time to move on to new Flash. New blood and new adventures will give it what it needs.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

It's nonsensical having the mantle of the Flash change by generation while we know that Bruce Wayne will always be Batman, Clark Kent will always be Superman, and Hal Jordan will always be the main Green Lantern.

If you are going to have one franchise progress, the whole DC Universe has to do the same.

The only way to successfully retire Barry Allen and Wally West and replace them with a new Flash would be as part of an event such as 5g, where a large amount of heroes also retire and lead the way for their successors.
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 05-30-2020 at 03:50 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    It's nonsensical having the mantle of the Flash change by generation while we know that Bruce Wayne will always be Batman, Clark Kent will always be Superman, and Hal Jordan will always be the main Green Lantern.
    Well that last one certainly isn't and wasn't true.

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    Well that last one certainly isn't and wasn't true.
    That was 26 years ago, when DC was more willing to experiment with legacy characters taking up the mantle of older heroes in permanent fashion.

In current times they toyed around with the 5g experinent, but that idea fell out the window.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    That was 26 years ago, when DC was more willing to experiment with legacy characters taking up the mantle of older heroes in permanent fashion.

In current times they toyed around with the 5g experinent, but that idea fell out the window.
    Again, it's a preposterous thing to say. It has happened before and could very easily happen again.

While I wouldn’t go so far as to say there aren’t good or great stories left to be told with Barry or Wally, maybe you’re not wrong about their best years being behind them, after Williamson’s long run (which I’ve enjoyed,) something fresh would be welcome.

All-New Member

I have to agree, that I haven't really been enjoying the whole Paradox story. As much as I love Barry, it almost feels like they have run out of stories to tell about him. That, or they just aren't being as creative with the character as they once were. I also hate what's been happening to Wally. It feels like these characters are going to waste. I don't think I would mind having someone new take on the mantle of the Flash. It's been done before, and I feel like it has helped to freshen up Flash stories in the past, but that's just me. I really don't know what should be done to the Flash, but I do know something needs to happen soon. As it is right now, the stories are no longer interesting.

Extraordinary Member

Have them focus on the CSI aspect again. Then it will be fresh.

Especially with the current advancements on forensic evidence.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Waterfall View Post
    Reading the Paradox storyline, I've become sure that we've reached the maximum Barry Allen and Wally West can offer to readers.

Unlike Batman and Superman, The Flash is built on the idea of passing the torch, so no one can tell me that we would be weirded out by a new Scarlet Speedster. All Barry stories became a repeat of the same thing and they don't add anything to franchise anymore.

Does it mean it's time to bring back Wally? No. Wally is beyond saving. He's as obsolole as Kyle and Tim, only exists to bring as a gimmick to fans. No but seriously! Wally is nothing but a walking event gimmick for sales. There is absolutely nothing interesting about him in regards to his personality.

It's time to move on to new Flash. New blood and new adventures will give it what it needs.
    I can not DISAGREE with you more.
    Honestly, Wally West a gimmick?? The character was published monthly as THE Flash longer than Barry Allen (first go round anyway...)
    In regards to nothing interesting regarding his personality, you should probably read his published history before making such a comment. Unless you're just posting to be a shitstirrer.
    Wally has one of the most fleshed out and complete personality arcs in comic books.

Any writer with a good story can make a character they're invested in sing.
    None are redundant.
    ESPECIALLY WALLY WEST
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Have them focus on the CSI aspect again. Then it will be fresh.

Especially with the current advancements on forensic evidence.
    I think that would be a really good idea! As you said, the stories would be much fresher. Obviously, the stories should have super-heroics, he is a superhero after all, but I also enjoy seeing the parts of Barry's life that aren't related to him being a superhero. Like his forensic work.

Mighty Member

Looks like the swords are out for Barry Allen on this board.
    I've really enjoyed Williamson's run, its increased my like for Barry Allen as a character 10 fold, and I'm looking forward to more stories featuring him.

In my opinion, when Williamson leaves they should hire a new writer to carry on the Flash, if and when Flash sales dip into the low 20,000's than you can look at replacing him. For now, a new writer and a new direction is all that is needed.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    I can not DISAGREE with you more.
    Honestly, Wally West a gimmick?? The character was published monthly as THE Flash longer than Barry Allen (first go round anyway...)
    In regards to nothing interesting regarding his personality, you should probably read his published history before making such a comment. Unless you're just posting to be a shitstirrer.
    Wally has one of the most fleshed out and complete personality arcs in comic books.

Any writer with a good story can make a character they're invested in sing.
    None are redundant.
    ESPECIALLY WALLY WEST
    I love Wally but he definitely wasn't published as long as Barry. Not even close. Barry was 56 to 85. Wally was 87 to 09 with a 2 year break that Barry never had. Even if you only count Barry's "The Flash" comics it's still well ahead.

Fantastic Member

This idea that The Flash is "built on passing the torch" is a myth, one that was proven as myth the minute they snatched the mantle from Bart and gave it back to Wally.

The Flash is built on whatever DC thinks will sell at any given moment in time.

I don't see the point in trying to build up another Flash at this point with all the hard promotion they've done for Barry. It's why I was so cynical regarding the 5G initiative. And the new Flash will have to live up to the legacy of all the Flashes.

And this is far from the right time in the market to be doing it in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBatman View Post
    This idea that The Flash is "built on passing the torch" is a myth, one that was proven as myth the minute they snatched the mantle from Bart and gave it back to Wally.

The Flash is built on whatever DC thinks will sell at any given moment in time.
    Bart as the Flash could have worked if DC naturally aged the timeline to the point where the 90s sidekicks took over the mantles of their mentors. This would mean Tim Drake becoming Batman, Conner Kent becoming Superman, Cassie Sandmark becoming Wonder Woman, etcetera.
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 05-30-2020 at 08:43 PM.