Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 107
  1. #76
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    51,729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I'm a fan of Far Sector so I wouldn't mind them doing that approach with other characters. It could be a fun experiment and a way to give the Earth One imprint a kick in the pants.

    Granted I don't think replacing Barry or Wally in the main canon is gonna do much good.
    So like a new Flash who travels from dimension to dimension?

  2. #77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So like a new Flash who travels from dimension to dimension?
    That might be cool but I was talking more about how separated Jo feels from the DCU/Green Lantern legacy.

  3. #78
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    51,729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    That might be cool but I was talking more about how separated Jo feels from the DCU/Green Lantern legacy.
    I was just thinking of a status quo that would facilitate that.

  4. #79
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    You made the mistake of taking what I said literally. Sure DC has the final word on these characters, but that doesn't mean making the right decisions from a storytelling standpoint.
    You're looking at it from a perspective where the characters have endings. By design, they don't, otherwise they wouldn't still be around today.

  5. #80
    Mighty Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Underneath the Brooklyn Bridge
    Posts
    1,386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    You're looking at it from a perspective where the characters have endings. By design, they don't, otherwise they wouldn't still be around today.
    When superheroes have continuously been published for as long as they have, they change rapidly, sometimes so much so that you could hardly say they are the same character anymore.

    Hawkeye has been transformed into a completely different character starting with Matt Fraction's run.

    Hal Jordan post Geoff Johns is now portrayed as more brash and hotheaded compared to his relatively restrained and calm demeanor in the Steve Engelhart and Gerard Jones runs pre Emerald Twilight.

    Whenever you have superheroes have been around this long, they are eventually going to break character. At that point, I think passing down the heroic mantles would be a natural and reasonable decision.

  6. #81
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    When superheroes have continuously been published for as long as they have, they change rapidly, sometimes so much so that you could hardly say they are the same character anymore.

    Hawkeye has been transformed into a completely different character starting with Matt Fraction's run.

    Hal Jordan post Geoff Johns is now portrayed as more brash and hotheaded compared to his relatively restrained and calm demeanor in the Steve Engelhart and Gerard Jones runs pre Emerald Twilight.

    Whenever you have superheroes have been around this long, they are eventually going to break character. At that point, I think passing down the heroic mantles would be a natural and reasonable decision.
    All long lived cartoon characters change with the times. Superman is no different to Donald Duck or Asterix.

  7. #82
    Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Your mum's place
    Posts
    1,643

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    They aged Bart into adulthood off-panel and completely changed his personality when they made him the Flash. It was a complete disservice to the character.

    Impulse was a unique and full realised character. It was a mistake to ever change that.
    Bart as the Flash was a trainwreck.
    It stumbled out of the gate and never recovered. If it was given a little more thought it COULD have worked, after all Bart HAD matured over the years in Teen Titans and there was no reason he couldn't have taken the mantle from Wally. Unfortunately, we just never got the story to support it.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

  8. #83
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,242

    Default

    Bart is, at his core, not a mature character. If they truly wanted to do Bart as The Flash, then it should have been a goofy, impatient, immature 16 year old Flash. Wouldn't that have been more interesting?

    They didn't put character first. They decided that the new Flash had to have a certain set of traits, and foisted those traits onto an incompatible character.

  9. #84
    ♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦ Godlike13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    9,717

    Default

    I think thats a fair assessment. They took the Bart out of Bart when they made him the Flash. Which defeated the purpose.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 06-03-2020 at 04:45 AM.

  10. #85
    Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,314

    Default

    Just my personal bias, but I want Wally back as the primary Flash with the extended Flash family playing a role in his book.

    Mark Waid recently said in a Q&A on the DC universe forums that he's confident the current leadership at DC wants to restore Wally to his rightful place of prominence, so here's hoping...

  11. #86
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,569

    Default

    Waid said Wally was in good hands. Nothing about "Rightful place" or prominence. For all we know he was just purely referencing Death Metal as we know Snyder will be the next person writing Wally now that 5g is trashed.

  12. #87
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    312

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    Waid said Wally was in good hands. Nothing about "Rightful place" or prominence.
    Actually, I think he did?

    "I’m confident that DC’s current management is just as eager as I am to see Wally in his rightful place of prominence. Trust me."
    Now whether there's any truth in that (or what that exactly means) is another discussion.

  13. #88
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    51,729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Just my personal bias, but I want Wally back as the primary Flash with the extended Flash family playing a role in his book.

    Mark Waid recently said in a Q&A on the DC universe forums that he's confident the current leadership at DC wants to restore Wally to his rightful place of prominence, so here's hoping...
    I think ideally we'd get Barry and Wally in dual Flash ongoing's.

    I think DC retiring Barry now is as likely as them retiring Hal.

  14. #89
    Dark Angel of Feminism Shadowcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Otherworld
    Posts
    2,873

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think ideally we'd get Barry and Wally in dual Flash ongoing's.

    I think DC retiring Barry now is as likely as them retiring Hal.
    Or until the market fully recovers from the Coronavirus, have concurrent storylines, with one as the lead story, the other in backup, then switch after the first storyline is over.
    Marvel Pull List Ranked
    :Captain Marvel:Guardians of the Galaxy:Immortal Hulk:
    :Black Cat:New Mutants:Fantastic Four:Thoraredevil:
    :Captain America:Excalibur:Iron Man:X-Force:Black Panther:
    :Avengers:Marauders:Ghost Rider: Dr. Strange:Valkyrie:
    (Just released, or to be released)
    Spider-Woman*Hellions*Black Widow*Wolverine*Cable*X-Factor

  15. #90
    Mighty Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Underneath the Brooklyn Bridge
    Posts
    1,386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    All long lived cartoon characters change with the times. Superman is no different to Donald Duck or Asterix.
    Donald Duck doesn't have a decades spanning continuity behind him.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •