Default Need a little Kara Zor-El history refresher

So she was killed in COIE, and then didn't show up again as the Kryptonian cousin of Superman until her solo series in 2004? And this is the version of Supergirl that they carried over to the New 52 right (with a few changes). Did I get that right?

And in the late 80s and 90s there were other versions of Supergirl, but none of them Kara and none of them from Krypton?

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    So she was killed in COIE, and then didn't show up again as the Kryptonian cousin of Superman until her solo series in 2004? And this is the version of Supergirl that they carried over to the New 52 right (with a few changes). Did I get that right?

And in the late 80s and 90s there were other versions of Supergirl, but none of them Kara and none of them from Krypton?
    That is right. Here is a link that will help you out, http://www.comicvine.com/supergirl/4005-2351/
    former Terrifan2

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Footnotes (from the top of my head):

80s-90s Supergirl was a construct from a pocket dimension where almost everyone on Earth had been killed by Zod, Faora and Quex-UL. The Lex of that world created her (she had a malleable, purple form and could cchoose her appearance) and imbued her with the strength to replace that world's dead Superboy.

She travelled to Superman's Earth to enlist his aid in defeating the Kryptonians, who by this time had murdered everyone on that Earth, and on beating them returned with Superman to our Earth keeping her form as Supergirl as a reminder to the world she lost and out of respect of Superman for saving her.

She gained angel powers in her own series and became a bit confusing to anyone not reading her book. That version vanished around the time of Infinite Crisis (though wasn't killed), and reappeared years later in hell. She was wiped by Flashpoint.

A you say, the original Supergirl was Kryptonian, arrived in the 50s and was killed in Crisis on Infinite Earths, Jeff Loeb re-introduced the Kryptonian Supergirl in 2004(ish) and this version was erased by Flashpoint. The current version is another reintroduction of the Kryptonian Supergirl.

*phew* Hope that helps (and is accurate).

Re member

And for a comprehensive list of every version of Supergirl there's Lorendiac's great write up.
    http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...etc-5th-draft/

Now how about her fashion sense?

http://www.metropolisplus.com/Supergirl/Index.htm

Retired

I haven't followed the continuity for Kara Zor-El of late. As I remember, when she was revived previously, they had her being born before Kal-El but somehow in suspended animation so she was now younger than him. But I think Geoff Johns fixed this, so she was actually born in Argo City like the original Kara Zor-El. However, I don't know what's happened with her since the new 52.

Was she born before or after Krypton's destruction in the current continuity?

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I haven't followed the continuity for Kara Zor-El of late. As I remember, when she was revived previously, they had her being born before Kal-El but somehow in suspended animation so she was now younger than him. But I think Geoff Johns fixed this, so she was actually born in Argo City like the original Kara Zor-El. However, I don't know what's happened with her since the new 52.

Was she born before or after Krypton's destruction in the current continuity?
    They pretty much have gone back to the previous idea of Kara being born before Krypton's end. In fact they've shown flashbacks showing teenage Kara babysitting infant Kal. She once again ended up in suspended animation...starting out as Superman's older cousin and ending up younger.

BANNED

Top down

Post-crisis supergirl II (the one that Loeb introduced in superman/batman , post-crisis cousin Kara)

Post-crisis Power Girl

Post-crisis supergirl I (the former pocket universe matrix supergirl , Linda Danvers)

Post-crisis supergirl III (cir-el , the alleged daughter of Superman from the future)

Pre-crisis supergirl (or at least a version of her )

Last edited by marshal99; 08-16-2014 at 04:39 AM.

Loved that Superman/Batman series. Some of Loeb's most fun work. McGuinness draws my favorite Superman. And that Supergirls bit was a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by Iopy View Post
    And for a comprehensive list of every version of Supergirl there's Lorendiac's great write up.
    http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...etc-5th-draft/
    Thanks for the plug! (I just now noticed this thread.)

Quote Originally Posted by marshal99 View Post

Top down

Post-crisis supergirl II (the one that Loeb introduced in superman/batman , post-crisis cousin Kara)

Post-crisis Power Girl

Post-crisis supergirl I (the former pocket universe matrix supergirl , Linda Danvers)

Post-crisis supergirl III (cir-el , the alleged daughter of Superman from the future)

Pre-crisis supergirl (or at least a version of her )

My god, did I geek hard when the issue above came out. I loved that entire arc, aand the art just took it over the top.

I also love the fact that Matrix is actually a very old pre-Crisis character--she's the blob of pink protoplasm that originally caused pre-Crisis Lex to lose his hair when Superboy interrupted his experiment with it.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/