Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Arnie Jorgensen

Rick Mays

Ed Benes

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

It's a fine line between "underrated" and "overhyped."
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

I love the Adam Warren suggestion. The man is an absolute unsung hero of the comic book industry. He's been plugging away with his creator owned comic, Empowered, which is some of the most consistent and energetic artwork on the market.

It is so weird saying consistent and energetic, but the man's characters looks the same, panel to panel. Unlike a lot of popular artists, I think consistency between panels is so crucial to being a great artist. One can make the argument that all of Adam Warren's characters might look the same. I'd counter by saying: when each character design is so good and the art has a sense of motion that very few can replicate, is it such a bad thing?

On top of that, he's been around forever and has done so many comics that seem to just slip by, unnoticed.

Great suggest on Adam Warren.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Mark Texeria.

I'll never understand why he wasn't just absolutely huge in the '90s. His work on the Ghost Rider relaunch was incredible. You could tell the second he was inking Javier Saltares, or working on his own. It changed the tone of the book for the better, and I'd ague was a huge part of why that book was popular. It certainly is the reason I liked it. And when Kubert took over at issue 25 with the Midnight Suns storyline, I jumped off.

After that he never really seemed to find another run that lasted very long or had much acclaim and just kind of floated around the industry doing this and that.

Tom Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Mark Texeria.

I'll never understand why he wasn't just absolutely huge in the '90s. His work on the Ghost Rider relaunch was incredible. You could tell the second he was inking Javier Saltares, or working on his own. It changed the tone of the book for the better, and I'd ague was a huge part of why that book was popular. It certainly is the reason I liked it. And when Kubert took over at issue 25 with the Midnight Suns storyline, I jumped off.

After that he never really seemed to find another run that lasted very long or had much acclaim and just kind of floated around the industry doing this and that.
    In agreement with you about TEX.
    IMHO, I thought 90's Ghost Rider had excellent artists (at least, the initial 50+ issues).
    But TEX really brought something special to the world of Dan Ketch:

The TEX version of Punisher from Punisher War Journal #50 is another personal favorite:

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    One that I always have loved that I never thought got the credit he was due is Pat Broderick. The man had a style that as soon as you saw it you knew it was him.

I really liked his artwork for Two-Face in Secret Origins Special (1989) #1. IMHO, truly underrated:

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Mark Texeria.

Texeira was so underrated that even his fans couldn't spell his name. His inking tended to have a scuzzy look that didn't appeal to me, and his layouts sometimes seemed like bad Neal Adams, in a similar vein to early Will Simpson, but some of his painted covers were a bit more to my liking. I detested 90s Ghost Rider except when the Kuberts were drawing it.

Tradd Moore. While I'm not a big fan of his work with any of the Marvel stuff, I think he is an amazing artist. I think his style is so exaggerated, yet expressive, that he would be considered one of the best artists drawing comics if he were doing this stuff in the 90s!

Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Extraordinary Member

Erik Larsen. I think his Savage Dragon stuff is pretty good.

Dave Johnson

Ben Herrera

Andy Kuhn

pleasedonot

Brian Bolland. I love Batman: The Killing Joke

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by pleasedonot View Post
    Brian Bolland. I love Batman: The Killing Joke
    That's hard to say. I think Bolland is regarded as a Legend and pretty much gets his due.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Adrian Alphona is one of the first that comes to mind. He drops in, and out of comics every few years so he doesn't have the largest portfolio of work. But every time he comes back from a break his skills improve ten fold while still being recognizable as his work.

Also a big fan of Faith Erin Hicks, her name doesn't come up a lot among primarily superhero comics fans as she's largely avoided the genre outside of parody. But her original graphic novels, adaptations, and occasional mini-series are all top notch works. Some people dismiss her style as being too similar to Bryan Lee O'Malley, but she's made such better use of it over the years.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Geof Darrow