Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Jones made a very questionable choice a couple of years ago by doing a 4 part graphic novel called "Strange Fruit" with Marc Waid. Visually great, the work was rightfully criticized for (a) two white guys telling a story that's not theirs to tell, (b) it basically ripping off Milstone Comics character Icon's origin (who was indeed created by black creators), (c) having tone deaf elements like the #notallwhitepeople side characters, or wrapping the naked, perfect, gorgeous African looking alien into a confederate flag. The book was a failure on many levels, and nobody could ever figure out what Jones and Waid were thinking.
    I guess the black Captain Confederacy wouldn't do well in today's world.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    I guess the black Captain Confederacy wouldn't do well in today's world.

I found it to be an interesting, should I say daring, attempt to explore an alternate history in which the Confederates won and what their propaganda character would be. I think it would perhaps be more beneficial to have Captain Confederacy as a black character, because if it was a white character, then I get the feeling most people would be too quick too condemn it rather than actually read the actual intent behind it. It might seem too bizarre having a black character be someone like Captain Confederacy, but I suppose it could be compared to black people taking the n-word and basically making it their own, even though slaveowners had previously used the n-word, then perhaps a similar exploration could be done with black people taking the Confederate flag for themselves.

Jose Ladronn

Rick Leonardi

Steve Lightle

Mike Parobeck
    (R.I.P.)

Last edited by K7P5V; 06-08-2020 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Edit out "readcomicsonline" from pic.

Astonishing Member

George Perez

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Wait - how is George underrated? He is a legend in the business.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Yeah, that one puzzled me too. Next up, John Romita, Neal Adams and Jack Kirby.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Travis Charest

Jones made a very questionable choice a couple of years ago by doing a 4 part graphic novel called "Strange Fruit" with Marc Waid. Visually great, the work was rightfully criticized for (a) two white guys telling a story that's not theirs to tell, (b) it basically ripping off Milstone Comics character Icon's origin (who was indeed created by black creators), (c) having tone deaf elements like the #notallwhitepeople side characters, or wrapping the naked, perfect, gorgeous African looking alien into a confederate flag. The book was a failure on many levels, and nobody could ever figure out what Jones and Waid were thinking.
    Sad to hear about what happened with their project.

All things considered, I really enjoyed the early artwork of J.G.J. (especially Fatale):

Astonishing Member

You're right! How about Pasqual Ferry?

Eduardo Risso. Whatever praise he gets, it's not enough dammit! While his style isn't for every comic book character, his ability to illustrate stark contrast is amazing, IMO.

Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Astonishing Member

Jon Bogdanove. Wonder what ever happened to him.

Larry Hama

Rod Whigham

Ron Wagner

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    Comics are a visual medium, so it goes without saying an artist is important. But not everyone can be a George Perez or a John Byrne, even if they're really good in their own right. Here is where we appreciate those who need appreciation more. Also, include art!

I'll start:

Ron Frenz

A part of the Marvel stable in the '80s, he's the most frequent collaborator of the fan-favorite writer Tom DeFalco. I think his stuff is stellar. He can do environments, consistent character models, and fight scenes really well, especially in capturing the movement of it. I've read Spider-Man comics drawn by him, and he can captured the frenetic nature of an attack. As controversial as the Spider-Man vs. Firelord fight is in certain circles, it really displays the strengths of his artwork and all of what I mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Andy Kubert

If Andy Kubert is considered underrated, then Adam Kubert would be my addition to this list: