Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    That would be interesting to see in a comic. I guess the New Mutants are in charge of The Sextant and probably got Hellion and brought him to The Council.

Yeah I don't see how they would be a police force when doing simple investigation work on a very specific issue.
    I read the issue, I think some of them got assimilated(equal to death)by the Phalanx which is how they attack Synch but Synch was saved by Banshee and Sabretooth. the remaining cops after this situation question about arresting the mutants and 1 cop made a point "for what?, saving our lives??" a sensible response so I would part of that squad did get killed, while the survivors seem grateful enough to let Sean, Sabretooth and Synch.

Cops back then where less hostile to heroes(usually when the cops go after Spidey, its usually because he was framed for a crime) or mutants compare to now I guess, back then we just had the Rodney King beating some years ago, most police brutality cases aren't found out or recorded back then compare to the 2010s especially now everyone has a phone camera.
    Last edited by Rzerox21xx; 06-04-2020 at 01:56 PM.

Astonishing Member

Working for the government is different than being a police officer. Are the Avengers cops?
    X-Factor aren't the IRS, and their job description easily just them in that category since they investigate crimes of mutants and bring them to justice. This applies to the govern sanctioned X-Factor's, including Krakoa. The Avengers haven't been as intertwined with the government like X-factor was, and many people think they're cops anyway. If Avengers are cops so are the X-men.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    X-Factor aren't the IRS, and their job description easily just them in that category since they investigate crimes of mutants and bring them to justice. This applies to the govern sanctioned X-Factor's, including Krakoa. The Avengers haven't been as intertwined with the government like X-factor was, and many people think they're cops anyway. If Avengers are cops so are the X-men.
    X-Factor is being setup to investigate missing and/or dead mutants in order to ensure the resurrection protocols are properly reinforced (only mutants confirmed as dead can be reincarnated). The description of the team does line up with making them cops and they arent tasked to investigate crimes that mutants have commited and bring them to justice

Official solicitation:

MUTANTS HAVE CONQUERED DEATH!

By the grace of The Five, the resurrection protocols can bring back any fallen mutant. But such a huge enterprise isn’t without its problems and complications… When a mutant dies, X-Factor is there to investigate how and why to keep the rules of reincarnation. Writer Leah Williams (AMAZING MARY JANE, X–TREMISTS) and artist David Baldeón (DOMINO, WEB WARRIORS) take Northstar, Polaris, Prodigy, Eye-boy, Daken and Prestige into the world of murder and missing persons…
    As others have stated, they are simply investigators

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    X-Factor is being setup to investigate missing and/or dead mutants in order to ensure the resurrection protocols are properly reinforced (only mutants confirmed as dead can be reincarnated). The description of the team does line up with making them cops and they arent tasked to investigate crimes that mutants have commited and bring them to justice

Official solicitation:

As others have stated, they are simply investigators
    That's an avenue of investigation, for the highest levels of Krakoa movement. They're not Veronica Mars. As I explained upthread investigation is a purview of law enforcement, it's what agencies like Scotland Yard are made for. Ignoring this won't make it any less true. Investigation has a wide field, since its about solving mysteries and this is what the new X-factor is doing. The mysteries just happen to be whether someone has been resurrected/cloned incorrectly.

They're not "simply" anything.

Mutants working for the government, solving crimes - and are prepared for violent encounters. That's why Daken's on the team.

https://www.polygon.com/2020/1/13/21...-leah-williams

“His new role (thanks to Ben Percy and Josh Cassara!) is perfect,” Williams said, “and gives Freddy a bigger path threading through all our books.”

LtR, Prodigy, Eye-Boy, Rachel Grey/Prestige, Polaris, Northstar, and Daken on the cover of X-Factor #1, Marvel Comics (2020).
    Image: Ivan Shavrin/Marvel Comics
    The rest of the team was chosen for their investigative capability: Eye Boy for his x-ray vision, Rachel Grey as the resident telepath (“She’s our team’s James Dean,” Williams’ says), Prodigy because “his powers make him an investigative Swiss Army Knife,” Daken because the team needed a “f*** thot enforcer.”

And Magneto’s daughter, Polaris? “Northstar may be the team leader,” Williams said, “but Polaris is the north star. For everything.”
    This description of the team fits a law enforcement team for solving mysteries. They're not Scooby Doo.

Quote Originally Posted by PetPigeon View Post
    I work for the government. AM I A COP?
    Dude are you? If you're a cop you're like required to tell the truth
    Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Looking at St Louis-since this is where Synch is from

Demographics

43% White
    50% Black

North St Louis has the large black population.

10 Fortune 500 companies are in St Louis

Synch's Dad is a Doctor. He probably works for BJC Healthcare.St Louis's top employer. Mom is also employed. According to Gen X #15 both successful in their chosen fields.

We can assume Dr Thomas makes $131K or higher for being a doctor. 131k is the median.

He also attends a Catholic school. A private school (while his does not exist in real life in St Louis, Dallas has one) costs from S4,500-5K.

I suspect they live in Downtown St Louis and the school is somewhere there too.

St Louis at the time of that issue-was number two in crime among cities in Missu and the highest at times in the USA.

With all this said......

Synch was not DRILLED with bullets because those cops knew who he was and his family.

A private school kid with well off parents who adopted a blind Asian baby and seems to have a history of being foster parents to special needs children.

That gets you attention in forms of media and the community.

A city that-is tops in crime would have ZERO issue drilling a black male. Especially doing what Synch did.

All that showed was cops showing restraint when they KNOW someone.
    I don't think they woulda pulled so many Guns on Larry Bodine
    That's an avenue of investigation, for the highest levels of Krakoa movement. They're not Veronica Mars.

This description of the team fits a law enforcement team for solving mysteries. They're not Scooby Doo.
    Has Daphne not been a police officer this whole time? lol
    GrindrStone(D)

Deadly Bee Weapon coveredinbees's Avatar

Steel Inquisitor. Police on Krakoa would be very different than police in New York City because Krakoa is quite different than the United States. It's wholly irrelevant whether or not X-Factor are police because the institutions are totally different. You asked me earlier if I meant Krakoa when I mentioned legislation because Krakoa doesn't have much in the way of laws. I did. Do you imagine Krakoa would adopt human laws for a police force? What is your interest in classifying X-Factor as police?
    Last edited by coveredinbees; 06-04-2020 at 07:08 PM.

These people are also police officers.

Lorna's been a cop on various incarnations of X-factor for years.
    Early 90s X-Factor were police officers for the US government. They started going freelance in the mid 90s. By the end of the 90s Lorna cut the cord with the government and a team of Wild Child, Creed, Mystique, etc.

Last decade she was an investigator though she really didn't investigate anything and then worked for a company under the last X-Factor. As for the next X-Factor if she is a cop or not we have to see it first to see what it really is as neither Leah nor editorial has explained for instance other then finding out things about dead mutants what they do in terms of the mass murders of mutants and who they take orders from.

That's an avenue of investigation, for the highest levels of Krakoa movement. They're not Veronica Mars. As I explained upthread investigation is a purview of law enforcement, it's what agencies like Scotland Yard are made for. Ignoring this won't make it any less true. Investigation has a wide field, since its about solving mysteries and this is what the new X-factor is doing. The mysteries just happen to be whether someone has been resurrected/cloned incorrectly.

They're not "simply" anything.

Mutants working for the government, solving crimes - and are prepared for violent encounters. That's why Daken's on the team.

https://www.polygon.com/2020/1/13/21...-leah-williams

You said they were tasked to solve mutant crimes and bring them to justice. Thats not their purpose

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    I read the issue, I think some of them got assimilated(equal to death)by the Phalanx which is how they attack Synch but Synch was saved by Banshee and Sabretooth. the remaining cops after this situation question about arresting the mutants and 1 cop made a point "for what?, saving our lives??" a sensible response so I would part of that squad did get killed, while the survivors seem grateful enough to let Sean, Sabretooth and Synch.
    Thanks. I remembered some were killed but I couldn't remember if all of them got assimilated.

Thanks. I remembered some were killed but I couldn't remember if all of them got assimilated.
    for some reason the scene of Jubilee almost barfing after seeing What the Phalanx does to its human victims
    GrindrStone(D)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by coveredinbees View Post
    Steel Inquisitor. Police on Krakoa would be very different than police in New York City because Krakoa is quite different than the United States. It's wholly irrelevant whether or not X-Factor are police because the institutions are totally different.
    Krakoa is different but they're not aliens beyond our understanding, they may have super powers but they're very human in how they do things. The only entity which isn't categorised as human thinking on the island is Krakoa itself. They have police in more places than New York City, that's a tiny part of the United States. I bought up Scotland Yard earlier, and they're not the only division in the UK who are government investigators. X-factor is a small part of what counts as police on Krakoa, not all of it. And they belong in this discussion. Speaking of, you say they police would be different in Krakoa - why do you think that is?

From what we know of its society police with super powers would operate fine in that environment, and frankly it's strange that we haven't seen any official police presence and the courts that we do know of are less organised then real world third world countries despite the fact Krakoa would be a First World nation give its economic and political power.

You asked me earlier if I meant Krakoa when I mentioned legislation because Krakoa doesn't have much in the way of laws. I did. Do you imagine Krakoa would adopt human laws for a police force?
    Define "human laws." Do you think mutants don't steal, have domestic abuse, murder, assault each other or commit fraud? The only big difference would be is that they can be resurrected but that's hardly something that would change how police would behave there. The characters as we know them are very human in how they behave.

What is your interest in classifying X-Factor as police?
    Because they have the trappings of police, what's your interest in insisting they're not? If they're not police what are they? What government classification do we put them under?

Quote Originally Posted by PetPigeon View Post
    I work for the government. AM I A COP?
    Do you investigate crimes and work with individuals who are prepared for maximum violence against the perpetrators?
    Last edited by Steel Inquisitor; 06-05-2020 at 03:04 AM.

X-Factor doesn't look after crimes! They're investigating deaths for the very specific purpose of putting people into the Resurrection pipeline. They are not a police force: they do not specifically investigate crimes, nor do they try to mantain public order. We don't even know what their powers are.

Do you investigate crimes and work with individuals who are prepared for maximum violence against the perpetrators?
    so my ex-wife and her sisters are COPS! I knew it! Wait till I tell Tony.
    GrindrStone(D)

Deadly Bee Weapon coveredinbees's Avatar

Krakoa powers.......What government classification do we put them under?
    Because our police handle things a certain way. Magneto and Xavier talked about building something new and their government is unlike the United States. Obviously, the United States is the not only country with racist police, but it is where the X-Men were established and police in the US are the impetus for the this discussion.

I should have said justice system. Our laws can't account for someone suddenly developing powers and doing harm. As readers, we don't have insight in MU law, but if the cities and countries are based on ours the prison industry is likely just as damaging and racist.

I don't know. The book isn't out, yet. I thought they would be more like social workers.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by coveredinbees View Post
    Because our police handle things a certain way. Magneto and Xavier talked about building something new and their government is unlike the United States. Obviously, the United States is the not only country with racist police, but it is where the X-Men were established and police in the US are the impetus for the this discussion.

I should have said justice system. Our laws can't account for someone suddenly developing powers and doing harm. As readers, we don't have insight in MU law, but if the cities and countries are based on ours the prison industry is likely just as damaging and racist.

I don't know. The book isn't out, yet. I thought they would be more like social workers.
    Funny enough, the position that's been argued for a long time now is that it should be social workers who intervene in a lot of cases instead of having the police automatically called on to do so. Hell, superhero universes in general could use more concern for the personal and social welfare of their inhabitants, things like therapy and other forms of social or psychological intervention, so there would be less damaged, maladjusted individuals with outsized ability to harm themselves or others on account of also having superpowers.
    The spider is always on the hunt.