Thread: New 52 Question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Rizzen76

Default New 52 Question

So I'm reading through New 52 for the first time after being mostly a Marvel guy my whole life.

I'm confused. The New 52 isn't exactly a reboot. Right? For example I read Action Comics 1 - 9. I have NO idea what's going from issue to issue for the most part. I know New 52 was not well received. Was this part of the reason why? Can I expect this level of ... disjointedness ... from every New 52 series?

Quote Originally Posted by Rizzen76 View Post
    So I'm reading through New 52 for the first time after being mostly a Marvel guy my whole life.

I'm confused. The New 52 isn't exactly a reboot. Right? For example I read Action Comics 1 - 9. I have NO idea what's going from issue to issue for the most part. I know New 52 was not well received. Was this part of the reason why? Can I expect this level of ... disjointedness ... from every New 52 series?
    New52 is a reboot except for the Batman Univers and the Green Lantern Univers.
    But all the Batman titles other than Batman Inc. and Batman & Robin have a fresh stories !

I haven't read Detective Comics #1-9, but the first run of Detective Comics is concidere as the worst the New52 era has to offer ! Sorry for you. That's maybe why you don't get what's going on. But I assure you, it has no link to any previous issues. I know that Detective Comics #9 is linked to the crossover "Batman: Night of Owls". Maybe the other issues have refferenced to what's going on in the Batman tilte.

And not all aspect of New52 are awfull. It's just some aspects are disapointing, but some others are great as well!
    Last edited by jb681131; 05-31-2020 at 05:20 AM.

Batman was rebooted, but didn't restart from year one. Dick, Jason and Tim were de-aged, Tim was always Red Robin, never just Robin, Cassandra and Stephanie were never Batgirl, and in fact were gone (they were reintroduced a few years later). Damian had to be explained as having been artificially aged, as it was no longer possible for him to be 10 years old. All of these changes have now been undone, except for the Batgirls (which frankly, doesn't make sense).

Green Lantern did indeed ignore the reboot completely. Even though that didn't make sense either.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

No that's not why. There are other reasons. But you may be struggling with understanding what's going on in Action Comics because it's written by Grant Morrison who often doesn't write in a traditional style, leaving people to have the kind of reaction you had. I remember feeling the same way when it first came out.

If you have any further questions feel free to ask me.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

No that's just Grant Morrison and there's a reason why it's disjointed. It's explained around issue #13 or something, and once I realized why he told the story this way, it's actually kinda cool, but it won't be something you realize the first time.

Morrison's AC isn't exactly a reading/writing method that's friendly to new readers not used to this kinda storytelling, especially in monthly format.

Morrison is confusing period.

Having said that there usually is big payoff and he is easily a favorite writer of myself and many dc fans

Personally that Action Comics run is awesome especially if you pick up on who the villian is, is a classic "enemy" of Superman.

I recommend the Superman Wonder Woman run during new 52.

Action Comics eventually directly ties into the Final Days of Superman and the Rebirth soft reboot and personally New 52 AC right into Rebirth AC up til the 1000 issue is a very sold exciting superman run.

Astonishing Member

So New 52 rebooted some parts of the DCU and Rebirth did the same?

Fantastic Member qwertyuiop1998's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    So New 52 rebooted some parts of the DCU and Rebirth did the same?
    Basically, But the Rebirth more like "DC:"We screwed the new52 up, So we better bring some elements of pre-flashpoint"
    Last edited by qwertyuiop1998; 06-01-2020 at 12:29 AM.
    "Dangerous Zombie! Transform!! Click And Load! Buggle UP! Danger! Danger! Death The Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!" Kamen Rider Gemn
    (In first he's mysterious and evil and now he's psycho and crazy and insane and evil AND "The Meme Lord"LOL.)

Quote Originally Posted by qwertyuiop1998 View Post
    Basically, But the Rebirth more like "DC:"We screwed the new52 up, So we better bring some elements of pre-flashpoint"
    Personally I like

Earth 2 books
    Worlds finest
    Justice league / Darkseid war saga
    Action comics superman
    Superman wonder woman
    Some of The Flash
    I've heard Batman has lot of good new 52 material

I know there's more and I continue to collect and read through the new 52 era...

Some would overstate new 52 issues. But ever era has issues. And new 52 has its share or failure along with some great books