Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Adventureman

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

C'mon, you folks, this was a great first issue. Those other issues preceding, (those numbered 1-3) are really only fill in issues from later on in the series, right? But as Robanker writes, "it's hard to get invested" in this, with its best introduction its fourth numbered issue. Don't think I'm a follower, any further.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

What made Fraction think an extended family with 9 members to keep track of was a good idea? Why should we care enough to know about these characters when they show up? Wouldn't it have been easier on the reader for her to have just a couple of sisters? I am sure they could have served the story just as well as 6.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

I’m still on board. It’s a shame there’s going to be a break, though. For something years in the making it’s disappointing.

Incredible Member

February solicits for Image are out, and no Adventureman #5. It would be nice if someone would at least just come out with a simple, “hey, we’re working on it!”

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by sbp1972 View Post
    February solicits for Image are out, and no Adventureman #5. It would be nice if someone would at least just come out with a simple, “hey, we’re working on it!”
    Update: I tweeted at Terry Dodson, and he replied he is working on #6 right now!

Issue #5, after a year wait is the big climax to the first arc, and it was just meh. I wasn't sure what was happening half the time. They set up Claire's sisters to be the new Adventure Team. But there are so many characters, past and present, to keep track of that the whole thing is a jumble.
    I get the feeling throughout that the creators are much more invested in the characters than they get the readers to be.
    Suppose I'll read the next arc, but mainly it's the art that is drawing me back.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 10-04-2021 at 09:26 AM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Issue #5, after a year wait is the big climax to the first arc, and it was just meh. I wasn't sure what was happening half the time. They set up Claire's sisters to be the new Adventure Team. But there are so many characters, past and present, to keep track of that the whole thing is a jumble.
    I get the feeling throughout that the creators are much more invested in the characters than they get the readers to be.
    Suppose I'll read the next arc, but mainly it's the art that is drawing me back.
    Yeah, I read this twice; the first time with just refreshing myself with wikipedia which wasn't a great read and then directly after reading the previous issues...and it didn't get any better when read together.

It's sad, this had a lot of promise but it just fizzled out.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Ultimate Member

This sounds disheartening. I was going to order it next new comics haul ( I probably still will ).

Ultimate Member

Eh...#5 wasn't so bad. I think it suffered more from the long delay and it seeming like it should have been the climax to one arc rather than the start of a new one. I wonder how would this ( the next collection) read to someone if you gave it to them without having them read the previous 4 issues...would they accept it the way we accept the opening of Raiders of The Lost Arc ( as a tribute to the cliffhanger nature of old serials)? Or would they go, "What the hell? What's going on?"

Just read issue #6, which I am afraid will be my last. Just too many chararacters that the authors care too much about that I don't care about at all. Still nice art.