Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Adventureman

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Default Adventureman

Anyone else really excited to see this out? I always find something by Fraction worth trying out, and I’ve always loved the Dodsons’ art. Can’t wait to read.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Long, long ago, and prior virus-times, I pre-ordered #s 1 & 2-- glad to hear it's available (not here, not yet anyway). Have some hope for enjoying this; will be glad when it materializes.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I loved the first issue, the mash up of the pulpy adventure and the slice life story was fantastic.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

I'm really excited to read the first issue. Since my LCS is still doing deliveries to be on the safe side, I'm going to wait until I get a few more comics in my box to make the trip worth it.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Picked up the first issue and, I gotta say, I'm all-in. Lots of fun and the Dodsons are really doing some of their best work in a long time. Each page is beautiful.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Haven't had a chance to pick up my copy of #1 yet, but I'm very excited.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Haven't had a chance to pick up my copy of #1 yet, but I'm very excited.
    It's a lot of setup, but it's fun and moves well. $3.99 for 56 pages if Dodson art can't be beat, either. I think you'll enjoy it.

Got this w. no prior knowledge of the project, based solely on the creative team and am glad I did.
    Fun story and beautiful art.

I like it, loved the art. I found it a little over baked. Trying to introduce all of Adventure Inc. the whole Rouges Gallery, every member of the Connell family. Maybe too much for a first issue. But let's see where Fraction goes with it. He may have been living with this for 10 years, but if the reader has to remember 20 characters to keep the story straight, I won't stay.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

It was fun. Love the Pulp aesthetic and Dodsons art. Characters and premise was fun but i didnt feel that this needed to be 50 pages. Fraction coulda trimmed the fat as not a whole lot really happened beyond setup.

Astonishing Member

The problem with #1 is that we had to become familiar with the characters in two worlds, not just one, so the set-up was rather tiring. That said, both sets of characters are interesting, their interaction promises to be worth following, and the art is excellent. I would enjoy the book just to look at it!

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Finally had the chance to read my copy. I'm enjoying the concepts, and the art is lovely but it is kind of a lot to take in. I actually think that cramming so much into the first issue might have not been the best decision, spreading the information over two installments would have been easier to absorb. I might stick with it, but we'll see how I'm feeling when the next issue drops.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I also found the first issue, if not overwhelming, than certainly tiring. And I think that for me it's a matter of approach.
    I'm thinking (quite possibly nostalgically) of Lazarus, another story where there's an enormous amount to know, issue one on. And yet, I felt (as I remember) immersed in the world of the Lazari, whereas I feel outside the world of Adventure-man. The approach with Lazarus was basically, 'Here you are, this's what's happening, catch-up as we go!' This is true for Alex + Ada, La Guardia, Everything, and others I've really enjoyed. With Adventure-man, I felt 'explained-to', and find I much prefer the approach.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

I haven't even looked in to this. I'm a pretty big fan of Fraction, but he is still hit or miss for me.

I find that I'm either 100% in love with his work, or I have no interest in it at all, and there's basically zero middle ground.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    It's a lot of setup, but it's fun and moves well. $3.99 for 56 pages if Dodson art can't be beat, either. I think you'll enjoy it.
    Sooo finally got around to reading this. First comic book purchase since the apocalypse, alongside X-Ray Robot. I'm really into what Fraction is going for here, even if it a really overstuffed #1- and what he's trying to accomplish. His write up at the end sold me. The narrative is strong as hell, man.

And yeah- $3.99 for 56 pages of cover to cover content really can not be praised enough!

You sticking around for #2?
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 07-07-2020 at 01:41 PM.