Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Adventureman

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I haven't even looked in to this. I'm a pretty big fan of Fraction, but he is still hit or miss for me.

I find that I'm either 100% in love with his work, or I have no interest in it at all, and there's basically zero middle ground.
    You should pick it up, it's worth it for the art alone but the story was fun too so definitely a must read.

Just picked up my copy this afternoon and read it this afternoon. I think I kind of loved it..all kinds of batsh*t crazy ideas crammed into one gorgeously illustrated book. It really felt like 2 issues under one cover. The story of the classic Adventureman was a prologue of sorts, kind of a zero issue, and then the stuff with Claire and Tommy were a proper first issue.

I think this was one time where Image's policy of putting all the house ads and text pieces at the back worked against it, as I think if they had been placed between the prologue and the Claire/Tommy stuff it would have led to the reader taking a breath between the two, allowing some of the stuff from the prologue to digest and simmer while the text piece was read, and then starting a bit fresher diving into the second part. Kind of an intermission making it feel more like two issues under one cover than one giant issue. But I'm on board ot see where this goes.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

MRP, that sounds like an excellent suggestion. And I think I would've enjoyed it a lot more, not felt quite so much overwhelmed, had it been published as you suggest.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

As a fan of Lobster Johnson, Shadow and Sandman Mystery Theatre I will like this?

All-New Member

I think you will. Adventure man has the same level of exciting pulpiness that Lobster Johnson has as well as the "film-noir" tone that Sandman Mystery Theatre has. Just a great comic to read all around.

Spectacular Member SavageJudgeDredd's Avatar

This series is very cool so far! Claire is a fun character, and the art rocks. I hope this has a longer run than say Danger Girl's first series. Here's hoping, lots of potential. I demand at least 20 issues.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Enjoyed the second issue just as much as I did the first. This would make a great animated movie of some kind.
    I’m pretty hooked as it stands, it’s nice to read something that’s pretty light in tone...

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I picked up the first two issues based solely on Dodson posting art on his Instagram. I must say I loved this. For me, this is what a comic book should be...fun. the characters were interesting, yes maybe a few could have been held off for future issues but oh well. The art was as is alwsys the case for the Dodsons, just gorgeous. Unlike most content put out by the big two, i can't wait to get the next issue!

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

So after reading issue 3, what would you say Adventureman's powerset is? I can't place it. It seems very random so far.
    PLEASE READ CLOAK & DAGGER IN SAVAGE AVENGERS!
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. Marvel: Savage Avengers, She Hulk. Dynamite: Vampirella.
    Support Indie Comics: Coffin Comics, Lion Forge, and so much more!!!
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Power Torch View Post
    So after reading issue 3, what would you say Adventureman's powerset is? I can't place it. It seems very random so far.
    It hasn't been stated as of yet but as he seems to be very obviously modeled on Doc Savage I'd say his powers include super strength, durability and super intelligence.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It hasn't been stated as of yet but as he seems to be very obviously modeled on Doc Savage I'd say his powers include super strength, durability and super intelligence.
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking. In the newest issue we see Clarie get taller and bigger, so that normally means super strength.

Love all the characters, I hope we can get some focus on them too.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. Marvel: Savage Avengers, She Hulk. Dynamite: Vampirella.

Astonishing Member

Well, super-hearing obviously isn't one of them, but maybe that seems to be evolving...

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

#2 and #3 were great fun.

So is this a miniseries? I haven't seen it in any solicitations since issue 4? If so I'm sad, I liked it.
    Pulls:

No. The Comic is just going on a break.