Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Adventureman

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Hardly means the book shouldn't exist.
    Shouldn't exist is definitely a strong phrase, especially as the bones of a really good story were introduced. Rather than not existing I think it should have rather been held back until more was in the can. I realize that with everything going on in the world holding onto to these issues might not have been feasible for these guys as they may not have the luxury of not getting any income from this work in the short term so I don't grudge them too much but it definitely doesn't seem ideal.

Yeah I'm not gonna fault some creators for the lack of an ideal situation these days.

But first, where was it said it's going on hiatus? All I see is, 4 is the end of the arc. That's out in October. They're releasing vol.1 in November. Nothing in December, but that hardly means a hiatus. Skip months are not unheard of.

Second, how long were they supposed to sit on this? This covid **** isn't going away. It's 100% not getting better in America every day. Comic shops are open and need product.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Holding back on anything in the US right now is silly. Who knows what's going to happen!

Why people get miffed about scheduling on creator owned work is beyond me. Just enjoy it as it comes.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 10-01-2020 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Holding back on anything in the US right now is silly. Who knows what's going to happen!

Why people get miffed about scheduling on creator owned work is beyond me. Just enjoy it as it comes.
    Not miffed, but critical about how this was developed and what this break in publishing means to a book that has so many characters to keep straight.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Fraction keeps literal notebooks on his books. This is hardly the craziest book he's ever done. Keeping the characters straight really shouldn't be a concern.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Fraction keeps literal notebooks on his books.
    But as a reader, I don't. it will be necessary to re-read and wade through all that backstory again, which was tiring enough the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    But as a reader, I don't. it will be necessary to re-read and wade through all that backstory again, which was tiring enough the first time.
    Exactly, I am not worried about Fraction knowing what is going on, he should worry if the readers don't. This should be a really fun book with outstanding art. It should not become a chore to read.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Oh I gotcha. Sorry, I misunderstood.

Still, feels like there's kind of an axe to grind against this book for... reasons? Reasons I don't really understand. I've never seen a comic get so much flack fro there being a break between arcs. And again, I haven't seen anywhere other than a poster here with no sited source, say the book is going on hiatus. Issue 4. A collection. A skip month... and then we don't know because no solicits for January yet.

But people keep complex seasons of TV straight with a year in between. Movies with yearS in between.

But a comic for a few month and people are like 'it should never have been released!' LOL.
    Last edited by Joker; 10-03-2020 at 09:30 AM.

Astonishing Member

This isn't a typical comic book, in that it was three sets of characters (Adventureman's team, Adventureman's enemies, and the "real world" family), and all three groups are big. We would need a while longer to get that many characters fixed in our minds, but there's going to be a lull period too early in the run for that to happen. If the lull came a bit later on, or if there were fewer characters introduced right from the offset, then we would better be able to keep from being confused. As it is, we shall likely have to start all over with our reading, and it will be more nearly a chore than a pleasure to do so.

Accept that nothing is ideal right now. Everyone is doing their best.

Again, show me where the book is going on some huge Saga level hiatus after four issues and then we can talk. Because right now all I see is a skip month and a bunch of overreaction to said skip month and a rumor on a forum.

Issue 4 and much is revealed. We now know why Adventure Inc. disappeared and who was the cause. Sure, we always knew it would be something like this so this big reveal didn't have the impact it probably was intended to. And I still think the Connell's overly large mixed family is too big for the good of the book.
    Art was great as usual.

Updated 10/11:
    So two days since I posted and 5 days since it came out and I am the only one to comment on the new issue.
    Does this signify that people have lost interest in this series? Has the initial enthusiasm dulled?
    Last edited by Kirby101; 10-11-2020 at 07:51 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Issue 4 and much is revealed. We now know why Adventure Inc. disappeared and who was the cause. Sure, we always knew it would be something like this so this big reveal didn't have the impact it probably was intended to. And I still think the Connell's overly large mixed family is too big for the good of the book.
    Art was great as usual.

Updated 10/11:
    So two days since I posted and 5 days since it came out and I am the only one to comment on the new issue.
    Does this signify that people have lost interest in this series? Has the initial enthusiasm dulled?
    I read #4 but it just wasn't anything special. In 4 issues the story hasn't really progressed to a point that OMG I HAVE TO FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!! It's just.. there. If you swapped out Fraction and Dodsons' names, would people still care?

Like, let's look at Claire. What do we even know about her? What about her would make us care about her plight? She's a happy go lucky, nice person. Which is fine. I don't need Bruce Wayne level of tortured. But there's no hook. And the scenes of her discovering her powers... Like, we've seen those. That's every superhero movie and comic you've already seen. "Whoa! I can do THIS?" Come on!

And the issue 4 twist is also been there done that. Was just watching Legacies season 2 with the same "the world has forgotten about XYZ" and then they have to rediscover things.
    Last edited by newparisian; 10-20-2020 at 10:45 AM.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

I think it might have moved a little quickly. Coming into the book - I originally thought Claire would be an Indiana-Jones type heroine, and be very human uncovering the superhuman.
    I’m still interested to see where it goes, but my interest dwindled with how quickly Claire has grown out of what made her character interesting in the first place.

Incredible Member

January Image solicits are out. No new Adventureman.
    Considering that #4 was originally solicited for September, but slipped to October, that’s four months with nothing new. I don’t count the solicits for the trade.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Art was great as usual.

Updated 10/11:
    I'm still pulling it and I like where it's going, but it's hard to get invested when it throws this many balls in the air and then goes on hiatus or something. Issue #4 was solid, but knowing that issue #5 currently has the same release date as another issue of Battle Chasers does make my interest wane a bit. Meanwhile, Once & Future comes over at BOOM comes out every month and is amazing, yet nobody talks about that either. Breaks my heart. Hoping Dan Mora getting some work at DC doesn't mean that book goes on break.