Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Phoenix without any avatar for me should be counted half as a wild animal half as a god with a morality so alien to ours that it is incomprehensible. That's why it needs hosts.

It is not like Galactus, with which one can reason in worldly terms. Phoenix caring for the mutants makes more sense with the conflict with the Dominions. Those AIs are anti-life, the death of the individual, a gray and metallic future. Mutation is change, adaptation, death and life.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    I like her being the universal manifestation of Life. Her liking mutants should be connected to her liking evolution too (with the whole burn down what doesn't work thing) and it makes sense for her to be drawn to the more powerful ones such as Jean.

It also makes sense that she'd get "drunk" on human emotions when possessing people, like in her first appearances. This is why I don't like the Aaron thing of her being with Odin or being humanized this much.
    Damn I wish I could see it as you do. It just doesnt make sense to me and its been so overdone that any mention of it automatically puts a bad taste. In my opinion even the original Phoenix/Dark Phoenix Saga while probably one of the most impactful Xmen stories was not one of the best.

That said I guess maybe I could come up with other explanations for it. If its just a primordial force of creation or evolution or just a cosmic force responsibke for creation then maybe but then to have personality all of a sudden and want the human experience...nah. As an alternative I guess I could fathom

1. the Phoenix being like I said before a disembodied Celestial.

2. I could even go with the Phoenix being an Elder god or needing an avatar in a similar way to Cyttorak or something

3. Or if the Phoenix is like collective consciousness of all mutants or a collection all psionic ability from the astral plane, I guess that's tolerable.

4. Or if the Phoenix were somehow on the level with and explained as like Bast in Black Panther. So its the Goddess of mutation in the marvel universe then maybe.

5. Or say its put on the same level for mutants as the Worldmind for Xandarians or the Supreme Intelligence of the Kree.

6. Finally since the Shiar are always so interested in it and they are bird people lol or should I say Avian and the Phoenix is a bird. Maybe its an ancient psionic weapon created by the Shiar that was too powerful maybe even sentient and got out of hand couldn't be controlled so was dispersed throughout the universe. They did something similar when they created the Hecatomb so maybe the Phoenix could be that the ultimate Shiar weapon capable of burning away and restarting life on planets and solar systems and even universes

I dont know im trying and struggling lol. I just for whatever reason have a mental block with just accepting it as some force that wants to have a personality and experience human life
    Last edited by GodfatherIV; 06-01-2020 at 05:14 AM.

Here's the best explanation:

RCO054_1576905408.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Here's the best explanation:

RCO054_1576905408.jpg
    You said it. It is my fav explanation too but we have to acknowledge there are a variety of explanations that most, if not all contradict each other. Every writer that uses the Phoenix goes in different directions with it and they always change it. It has become a mess, but for me I love the Phoenix when it is intimately tied to Jean Grey and Rachel Grey Summers - and when it is something good and not a destructive force or an evil force or an unhealthy stalker force. The collective amnesia on why Dark Phoenix happened will always rankle some of us but what can ya do.

It should be linked to Firebird and let The Avengers handle the Phoenix problem.

firebirdap.jpg
    Last edited by danielsan52; 06-01-2020 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    It should be linked to Firebird and let The Avengers handle the Phoenix problem.

firebirdap.jpg
    They nixed that idea and made her powers into a kids science experiment.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post

firebirdap.jpg
    I once read something like this...."The Texas Ranger Firebird also received a fiery visitor on the night of Jean Grey's Death. What connection there is to the Phoenix Force is unknown. "

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    They nixed that idea and made her powers into a kids science experiment.
    True, true. But after all, Bonita only has flight/fire powers and then later on was given some unexplained religious dreams and seeming immortality.

The Phoenix has been wounded, had parts of itself cleaved away, even wholly sundered into fragments of itself.

It's been corrupted and driven mad along with it's hosts.

It's experienced things that we don't know about and some we probably could barely even imagine.

There are good reasons for why it would appear very differently at different times.

BANNED

I liked the Excalibur explanation best. Seeing it reduced to just being Dark Phoenix like in the current version never worked for me.