Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Respinions

Default Best example of Bruce/Batman as a Spy?

Obviously Batman is a brilliant detective, but I've been trying to come up with great examples of source material of how he's also a great SPY. If you could point to a story that demonstrates his abilities as a spy, what would you pick?

When I think about how he compares to Bond, for example, they share a few similar traits:
    •state of the art surveillance and infiltration gadgets from Lucius/Q
    •bankrolled by Wayne Enterprises/MI6
    •wicked gadget-filled vehicles Batmobile/DB5
    •tend to work alone and follow their own path and instincts

They have considerably different personalities, but probably the biggest difference is that Batman wants to maintain the bat as a symbol so he must maintain Bruce as a secret identity whereas Bond is just out there. Also Batman probably has help more often than Bond, though this is more often for combat not recon.

Some good examples of gadgets that pop to mind is the electromagnet to erase video evidence or his cowl hearing and sight improvements, but apparently I suck at coming up with good examples of specific comics where he shows us his great spy skills.

I've love to hear people's top 5 comics or graphic novels or whatever source material that show off Batman as a great spy? Or maybe scenes from the films like when he used the frequency jammer in Batman Returns.
    Last edited by Respinions; 06-02-2020 at 05:25 AM.

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Respinions View Post
    Obviously Batman is a brilliant detective, but I've been trying to come up with great examples of source material of how he's also a great SPY. If you could point to a story that demonstrates his abilities as a spy, what would you pick?
    […]

Batman tends to go for short term surveillance. But he mostly does it himself. Bond often gets help placing bugs, so that when he does appear he's not recognized.

The biggest difference is Bond often uses false identities to walk around in public incognito, while Batman prefers to hide in the shadows.

From a legality standpoint, Bond's actions may or may not be publicly accountable, while Batman's almost never are.

But from a story perspective, Batman stories aren't often about stealing enemy secrets. For example, Bond often does little more than identify targets for military action. Batman rarely calls anyone for backup after he's hunted down criminals.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Whenever Batman leans into Bond, I'm way happy.