Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Restart in an alternate Universe...

So Hybrid started a thread on a soft reboot that got a lot of heat. I can see from that thread that a lot of people for one reason or another are against reboots. I mean it didnt work the 20 times DC did it so I can understand some people being weary. So rather then doing a reboot how about a new world set in an alternate universe like The Ultimate Universe or MC2. I dont want to debate the merits of the Ultimate universe or MC2 or any other alternate world.

I just want to see if you did do an alternate universe world what kind of things would you like to see in it? What would you do differently then the 616 universe?
    Last edited by babyblob; 06-01-2020 at 08:24 AM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I was a big fan of the 2015 film Justice League: Gods and Monsters so I'd try that approach. Basically we keep the mantle but create a new civilian ID to go with it.

I also liked The Wild Storm so I'd do a 12-24 issue series to be the pilot. If it succeeds we start building outward with miniseries etc, if it fails well at least you got a couple of fun trades to read.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 06-02-2020 at 12:57 PM.

My idea for Spider-man, sure reboot, but except for Peter Parker and Aunt May, every supporting character must be new. No Gwen, no Mary Jane, no Flash. You can have Dr Octopus, but it isn't Otto Octavius, and etc. Really do work with fleshing out new storylines and new things to happen.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Marvel already has a very well known and loved alternate universe: the MCU. Just start a series of comics set in it, that expand the content of the film and TV series. Currently, the ones they publish are just recaps of older films to promote the new ones.

This is fascinating. For a very long time everyone insisted that there was no problem. Now everyone is willing to admit that there may be a problem. Was it one big thing or a bunch of little things?
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

By the way, Ultimate Marvel, Spider-Gwen and the "Old Man" comics took a wise option: their alternate universe is located within some specific comic books, but the main one still continues uninterrupted for those who want to continue reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    This is fascinating. For a very long time everyone insisted that there was no problem. Now everyone is willing to admit that there may be a problem. Was it one big thing or a bunch of little things?
    I'm not saying there is a problem, I am simply giving my idea of how I would do a reboot.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    Marvel already has a very well known and loved alternate universe: the MCU. Just start a series of comics set in it, that expand the content of the film and TV series. Currently, the ones they publish are just recaps of older films to promote the new ones.
    Supposedly around the time of the first Avengers movie there was a rumor that Marvel was going to do exactly that. But for whatever reason, it didn't happen.

Astonishing Member

In My Alt Universe:
    1. There would be far fewer resurrections
    2 There would be far fewer events
    3 Fewer heroes would be based in New York.
    4 There’d be one Spider Woman; Julia Carpenter
    5 Heroes would save the day more. Villains would blow up fewer continents and cities
    6 It would not be uncommon for X men to graduate the Xavier experience to pursue full rich lives of their own, other teams, solo adventures even life as a civillian.
    7 Doc Samson would always be doing cool stuff.
    Last edited by Photon Torme; 06-02-2020 at 03:05 PM.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Photon Torme View Post
    In My Alt Universe:
    1. There would be far fewer resurrections
    2 There would be far fewer events
    3 Fewer heroes would be based in New York.
    4 There’d be one Spider Woman; Julia Carpenter
    5 Heroes would save the day more. Villains would blow up fewer continents and cities
    Number 4, I can rock with. No offense to Jessica Drew, she's great, but Julia Carpenter was the Spider-Woman I grew up with, so I'd be more than happy to see her take center stage as Spider-Woman again.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Number 4, I can rock with. No offense to Jessica Drew, she's great, but Julia Carpenter was the Spider-Woman I grew up with, so I'd be more than happy to see her take center stage as Spider-Woman again.
    I agree. She is the greatest of all the Spider women! i wish they would do more with her unless they have in the last couple of years and I dont know.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I agree. She is the greatest of all the Spider women! i wish they would do more with her unless they have in the last couple of years and I dont know.
    Sadly, nothing since her appearances in the Prowler's short******d series around the time of The Clone Conspiracy, as far as I know.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

You could probably do an 2020 take on the characters like the Ultimate Universe but you're gonna need a stronger hook than just being "modern".

Actually from that Hybrid thread I came up with some ideas of making a new Marvel universe more angsty then the Ultimate Universe lol

Captain America: Steve Rogers is the son of an Irish immigrant father and Mexican immigrant mother but is raised by his strict Irish grandmother. While in college he is protesting World War III but is drafted and force into the war. There he is giving drugs that turn him into a super soldier and now fights terrorist as America's mascot.

Spider-Man: Miles Morales tries to balance his life as Spider-Man, living with divorced parents, dealing with racist jocks, and police harassment as both Spider-Man and Miles.

Old Fantastic Four: Decades ago four people, scientist Nathaniel Richards, nurse Sharon Ventura, soldiers Ben Grimm and Jim Hammond gained superpowers after exposure to cosmic rays during a scientific mission to outer space. They deal with scientific discoveries and aliens.

Modern Fantastic Four: Four people, young scientist Reed Richards, recently cured Ben Grimm, and rich kids Susan and Johnny Storm, gain superpowers after being exposed to the Negative Zone. While dealing with threats they try to solve the mystery of what happened to the other original members of the FF.

Captain Marvel: Captain Carol Danvers gains powers after being experimented on by alien terrorists during World War III and deals with sexism in the army.

Damn, look what I started...

Honestly, I regret mentioning the reboot part, I just wanted a way to fix the totally ruined continuity and I felt that the best way to do is to undo the damage rather than awkwardly write around it. I get that people might be weary of that, since DC can't stop doing it, but I see it as a last resort, something that should only be used once and hopefully it'd never come to that again.

Anyways, I'll think of AU stuff a little later.