Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Newsarama has merged into GamesRadar+

CBR just basically lost one of it's main rivals. Newsarama has been absorbed into GamesRadar+. As far as I'm concerned, it's dead.

Had to disable Adblock to even read anything. Only to see far too many ads. Including an autoplay video! I HATE those. And I don't see how merging a comic book website with a video game one makes sense anyway. What the hell were the corporate suits at Future thinking? No way this helps their SEO (things are now HARDER to find, not easier!). Any old links to anything other than the homepage are broken too, as they redirect to the Newsarama main page instead of each article redirecting. You can't search specifically for Newsarama content either.

I know not everyone liked CBR's redesign and other changes a few years ago, but at least it kept it's separate identity. Newsarama has been destroyed.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

the AVClub family of sites went/is going through this as well.

The interesting thing to me is how these sites essentially destroy their ease of use for more ads. I guess they'll need the ads when people like me just stop visiting the site because it's become such a core to do so? But if you didn't destroy your site, I'd still visit and see the ads?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But just like *looks at everything* the people in charge have no idea what they're doing.

There are certain sites I refuse to visit - any interest story from Outbrain is one of my peeves. They insist you go through 30 or so pages before getting to the point that actually made you click on them in the first place. I did that once and never again.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Well, this is disappointing...

Just went there. 20 different articles of 10 things you didn't care about before, but put into an article and now it is click bait.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Newsrama and CBR's main site have really fallen a lot on hard times. Remember last week CBR had a writer discuss how Captain America as a character was selfish ...and they posted it on Memorial Day. To get huge clicks.

"Damn you Cap , for fighting Nazi's and serving your country you selfish bast--rd."

But yeah both sites aren't what they once was.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Newsrama and CBR's main site have really fallen a lot on hard times. Remember last week CBR had a writer discuss how Captain America as a character was selfish ...and they posted it on Memorial Day. To get huge clicks.

"Damn you Cap , for fighting Nazi's and serving your country you selfish bast--rd."

But yeah both sites aren't what they once was.
    I haven't read anything on the front page of CBR for years. I'm a Cyclops fan and for the longest times any CBR articles on him were basically all the same - "Why Cyclops is the wrongiest wronger to have ever wronged." I get that the character has made his share of mistakes, but when every article reads as "Why I hate him and you should too" it doesn't seem like a deep look at anyone, but mere hatewank (where the act of shouting out your hate seems to be a form of public masturbation - see the internet hatred of comic sans, among other things).
    Dark does not mean deep.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

The site in nigh unusable; is there another site that you recommend for comic news?

I've been trying to read AIPT, but I'm not a fan

BANNED

gone the way of comicvine. RIP

i miss the good old days of comic sites. mid 2000s were so fun, awesome communities

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post

i miss the good old days of comic sites. mid 2000s were so fun, awesome communities
    I love comicvine's wiki I hope we never lose it

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post

Quoted for truth.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I haven't read anything on the front page of CBR for years. I'm a Cyclops fan and for the longest times any CBR articles on him were basically all the same - "Why Cyclops is the wrongiest wronger to have ever wronged." I get that the character has made his share of mistakes, but when every article reads as "Why I hate him and you should too" it doesn't seem like a deep look at anyone, but mere hatewank (where the act of shouting out your hate seems to be a form of public masturbation - see the internet hatred of comic sans, among other things).
    Well it was yanked down once the idea of "hot clicks" failed as they promoted it on twitter etc. This backfired as no one wanted to read a crap article about a hero who would sacrifice his life in a World War. Not on Memorial day and the backlash had em wipe it off site and twitter. You can google articles other sites made and they have the entire deal up.

This wasn't a good idea for an article by New CBR.

Sucks about Comicvine I remember going there once.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Wow....and Newsarama was at least posting articles about the state of comics in these crazy times. I guess I may relent and visit Bleeding Cool a bit more. AIPT too. CBR was the best at one time but I still like the forums here better than most. But I really don't go to the front page much anymore. Brian Cronin's columns and features are the only ones I find worth reading. Too much clickbait everywhere these days.

The Beat is a still pretty good for comic news.

BleedingCool just got so loaded with ads I stopped. I mean, a toilet paper video playing over an ad, with ads popping as you scroll every paragraph. It, much like the AVClub family of sites, got to be so detrimental to the user experience it wasn't worth it.

I will recommend that if you like I site, and their ads aren't overbearing, click those ads when you visit. You don't have to stay on that site, or engage, but simply clicking on them helps those sites.

It's only been a couple of days for the new Newsarama and it's an abomination. I don't think I'll be sticking with this new look and format.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.