Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    The Beat is a still pretty good for comic news.

BleedingCool just got so loaded with ads I stopped. I mean, a toilet paper video playing over an ad, with ads popping as you scroll every paragraph. It, much like the AVClub family of sites, got to be so detrimental to the user experience it wasn't worth it.

I will recommend that if you like I site, and their ads aren't overbearing, click those ads when you visit. You don't have to stay on that site, or engage, but simply clicking on them helps those sites.
    Make sure to google Beat comics, else you get this weird rock group.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

The Beat is a still pretty good for comic news.

BleedingCool just got so loaded with ads I stopped. I mean, a toilet paper video playing over an ad, with ads popping as you scroll every paragraph. It, much like the AVClub family of sites, got to be so detrimental to the user experience it wasn't worth it.

I will recommend that if you like I site, and their ads aren't overbearing, click those ads when you visit. You don't have to stay on that site, or engage, but simply clicking on them helps those sites.
    I forgot about the Beat .....doesn't Heidi (can't remember the last name) work there? She used to be here on CBR IIRC.

Yeah, Heidi MacDonald runs https://www.comicsbeat.com/

She’s one of the good ones. It’s a good site that deserves support.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Yeah, Heidi MacDonald runs https://www.comicsbeat.com/

She’s one of the good ones. It’s a good site that deserves support.
    Thanks for the link. I will have to just make it a habit to visit that site more often.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    There are certain sites I refuse to visit - any interest story from Outbrain is one of my peeves. They insist you go through 30 or so pages before getting to the point that actually made you click on them in the first place. I did that once and never again.
    Problem is, those types of articles are all over the place on AOL.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Newsarama died to me when they got rid of the message boards. To me, messageboards are way better than most forms of modern social media because they create actual communities rather than merely the sense of community. To me you have way more interesting conversations in messageboards then on twitter or facebook. Message boards are only going away because someone hasn't figured out a way to monetize them efficiently.