Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Will this Make Marvel Stronger in the Long run

Im so happy that comics are back .I know comic stores are not open new .Im guessing late July it will return bur ordering comics in the meantime .Low selling comics are going Digital.But still getting Empyer with some Tie-ends are good Which i think its better and to have less is good for customs who hate Big Event with lots of Tie-ends .Less is more and comics are selling well to keep the high sellers still going

Are you asking if COVID19 has ultimately made Marvel business practices somehow more efficient?
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Everything dies.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Everything dies.
    You. Me. Everyone on this planet.
    It’s inevitable...and I accept it.

I think Marvel could come out of this stronger if they sit down and take a look at a some things. Take away what doesnt work. Make stuff that does stronger. make a more digital presence and support it the way they do physical comics.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Only time will tell I guess. But hopefully the time has been spent wisely.

Nope. The pandemic gave Marvel a chance to sit down and take a long hard look at themselves and make some changes.

If we learned anything in my time reading comics it's that the comic industry NEVER LEARNS FROM IT'S MISTAKES lol. I get the feeling that Marvel is waiting for a break in the weather so they can go back to business as usual just like everybody else.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Nope. The pandemic gave Marvel a chance to sit down and take a long hard look at themselves and make some changes.

If we learned anything in my time reading comics it's that the comic industry NEVER LEARNS FROM IT'S MISTAKES lol. I get the feeling that Marvel is waiting for a break in the weather so they can go back to business as usual just like everybody else.
    Wow, so optimistic. :/

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post

I can't learn if the loudest group is folks who have never read my books or those who take issue with who is on the cover.

You can't cry for new talent when that request comes with conditions.

You can't cry about bad writers when you give them shot after shot because they get the books-a person like Priest can't.

You can't cry about variants when you are the first one at the door ready to buy all of them because they are on a title you like.

There are a lot of lessons to be learned but the direct market makes it hard to learn them.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Well he is telling the truth.

There is too much flooding the market and supersaturation of certain characters.

There are some books that should be OGN or digital first and later trade.

People can't even agree what needs fixing, so, no.

A lot of the issues are structural and nobody is willing to upend the industry to fix it, so they just slap bandaids on it.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Considering that Marvel went back to the same nonsense from Alonso period after things died such as:
    1) movie synergy crap
    2) pushing rookies over established characters
    3) flooding markets with events just like DC.

He has a point.
    "Cable was right!"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

There is too much flooding the market and supersaturation of certain characters.

Which begs the question: Who is asking for these characters that are being over saturated?

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Considering that Marvel went back to the same nonsense from Alonso period after things died such as:
    1) movie synergy crap
    2) pushing rookies over established characters
    3) flooding markets with events just like DC.

He has a point.
    I didn't say he didn't have a point. I was just wishing someone was more hopeful for the situation.

In all honesty, I really just want the direct market for comics to just die off. Go more in the graphic novels and book sales route, kill floppy comics, and lean more digital. They make more money there anyway.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

I didn't say he didn't have a point. I was just wishing someone was more hopeful for the situation.

In all honesty, I really just want the direct market for comics to just die off. Go more in the graphic novels and book sales route, kill floppy comics, and lean more digital. They make more money there anyway.
    Floppies don't have to die. They just have to be sold in places easier for the general public to access than the direct market.
    The spider is always on the hunt.