Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

There's no reason she can't have both Themyscira and a city all her own. Now, I like the idea of her having a city, but that's because I tend to think that the real superhero gold is when the ordinary meets the extraordinary. So, places like Themyscira, Atlantis, Asgard, etc. don't do much for me. The question is which city would be best for her. She's been in Washington D.C., Boston, Gateway City, New York and according to the DCEU Paris (probably more because I haven't read the comics in a while). Now, I'm partial to Gateway because that's where Cassie is from. However, some have expressed a dislike for the city changing from a St. Louis stand-in that the Spectre used to haunt to a fake San Francisco for Wonder Woman. It might be better to develop a new place with its own character.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    There's no reason she can't have both Themyscira and a city all her own. Now, I like the idea of her having a city, but that's because I tend to think that the real superhero gold is when the ordinary meets the extraordinary. So, places like Themyscira, Atlantis, Asgard, etc. don't do much for me. The question is which city would be best for her. She's been in Washington D.C., Boston, Gateway City, New York and according to the DCEU Paris (probably more because I haven't read the comics in a while). Now, I'm partial to Gateway because that's where Cassie is from. However, some have expressed a dislike for the city changing from a St. Louis stand-in that the Spectre used to haunt to a fake San Francisco for Wonder Woman. It might be better to develop a new place with its own character.
    I'm with this guy! As I see it, Diana does have a different situation.

How so? Paradise Island is her Batcave, Fortress of Solitude AND her Krypton, really - her lair, archive AND origin. That aside, she left Paradise to protect Man's World from the same conquest the Amazons were subjected to, and that should mean something. It assigns Paradise and its beloved characters, Hippolyta and the others, a respectful place in Diana's background, opening the stage for an iconic, new locale, from which to launch her stories! Be it an X-Filesish caricature of Washington, DC, a faux-Frisco (Gateway City) or new 'Holliday City' that mixes both, I'm happy, ..so long as it embodies the wild, weird, gleefully non-conformist spirit of the WW comic!

Think about it, for a second. She lives in this port city for artists, cosmic misfits and magical travelers, presiding over them, as their protectress, while staring own the most machinery of the U.S. military and counterintelligence, ..occasionally dropping by Paradise for advice from mother or Mala, before leaping into adventures in bizarre, quasi-magical worlds! That sounds like a GREAT comic!

Wonder Woman, herself, is a hodge-podge of different antiquated genres - sci-fi, men's (or pulp) adventure, heroic fantasy, classical myth! She is a freedom-loving Amazon, from a futuristic utopia, who doesn't easily fit into any one thing, seamlessly. As Lynda called her...a fish-out-of-water! I think the place that she leaves Paradise for should reflect all of that, and, since that doesn't presently exist, ..maybe, we need a new, iconic stage, made just for her. As college campuses are like little towns, unto themselves, ..Holliday College could easily be that place. Just as Coast City and Central City were new to us all, once, I see no reason why Ocean City, Argus City or Holliday City couldn't be that new place, in 2020.

How could it hurt?

Holliday City, the irony of that name, is growing on me...so, why not?

Furthermore, Wonder Boy of Viro might easily be a citizen of this new city, with little explanation, ..if only because it was such an inherently weird place. Maybe, there's a purple Rottweiler, too.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Your basically saying focus on Krypton over Metropolis
    George Perez loved Themiscyra...reinvented it, but wisely left Paradise in the rear-view. We forget this. He moved Diana in with Doc Julia and Nesslie, before he left the title - his last issue.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 06-02-2020 at 12:28 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Astonishing Member

There's something to be said for a superhero being pretty international, but I think there's more to be said for a setting, like a home city or home setting that has layers, history, lots of different areas, real infrastructure for the stories to play with. So in that regard I'd definitely pick a city - ideally personally for me I'd bring back Gateway but definitely play up it being a parallel to a real world city. National City has done very well for Supergirl so we've seen it done recently and from the ground up, but obviously Gotham, Metro, Coast, Keystone and Central are the primo examples, while others like Hub and Ivy and Opal have really filled out the more rest.

I'd have Gateway City both be "near" to and parallel to Washington DC, the capital, where Wonder Woman has also been home-based many times. Mostly for the history and iconography. That keeps it in the same general vicinity as the other two of the Trinity, Gotham in New Jersey, and Metropolis which tends to vary but is definitely on the Northeastern Seaboard and could be in Delaware ... or maybe up closer to New York. However you go. I'd save the Boston area for Aquaman. (Side, I'd also draw more comparisons between Metropolis and Philadelphia for good Superman iconography).

And I'd also relocate Themiscyra to be hidden WITHIN Gateway City. Like, for the metaphor. Obviously with some sci-fi limitation on just how much the Amazons go back-and-forth and relate with the Gateway citizens and vice-versa. Some Star Trekky/Doctor Whoish contrivance where like, you literally enter Paradise Island through a portal within the History Museum that Diana "works at". And the reason she works there is to guard the Gateway. It's a perfect application of her expertise.

It'd be really nice to see lots of different Amazons interact with Diana ... but also have the fun of being in fish-out-of-water stories where they go out into the city to experience Man's World and like, have funny interactions. Or serious interactions. Or romantic meet-cutes with modern day people. And definitely scenarios where like Nubia or Philippus kick the ass out of racial prejudice. So on, ad infinitum. It humanizes the Amazons and brings them into the modern world alongside Diana, unseparating the sides of her persona but without demythologizing them. Makes room for tons of personality and more regular guest and supporting cast.

And threats to Gateway City would arise because Themiscyra is a target, which provides a nice moral conundrum, as does contrasting its secrecy with Diana's worship of the Truth.

Locations like the military base where Steve works and the ARGUS or whatever facility, as well as like, a very Luthor-esque Cale Industries are musts.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Had something of an idea that Gateway would start out a relatively normal city (as far as those go in superhero comics) but overtime would come home to a variety of various mythical creatures from various world mythologies Diana encounters that take up residence in the town.

Extraordinary Member

Diana's city should be a cultural melting pot, a plus where cultures the world over intersect, with architectural styles pulled from around the world

Should the city be built around some already existing element in the WW comic - ARGUS, Cale Industries or Holliday College?

Some of you don't think Diana should inherit the Spectre's city, but should, instead, be given an iconic city of her own. I'm leaning into that feeling and would prefer to see her get a 'gateway city' of her own, somewhere else.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Incredible Member

Gateway City as a west coast Washington DC which is known for having embassies not only for the countries on Earth, but various alien and mythological civilisations as well. It’s also a true (but very limited) gateway to Themyscira and other fantastical places. Veronica Cale is the tech titan. Holliday University / College is a prominent research institute. ARGUS has a base there (especially if Etta Candy and/or Steve Trevor are ARGUS agents). There’s a Themysciran embassy house (but you can’t spot the invisible jet above it).

If we go with Gateway City being an actual Gateway. Maybe there is a Gateway and Paradise Island can be linked. Diana can't visit the Island regularly but can find ways to communicate. Like in her dreams or something else

I think it's telling that whenever Gateway City gets brought up talk about what it could or should have been rather than what it actually was. Themyscira is much closer to what people's ideas of Gateway City should be.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I think it's telling that whenever Gateway City gets brought up talk about what it could or should have been rather than what it actually was. Themyscira is much closer to what people's ideas of Gateway City should be.
    I kind of think Themyscira became more prominent than whatever city in "Patriarch's World" she's working from starting in the '60s when the Wonder Girl and Wonder Tot stories that were set there became more popular than the Wonder Woman stories set elsewhere. It also explains why everyone wants to insert more fantasy into Gateway City. The thing is that she always has to leave because it's her mission to do so. So, last I checked, instead each writer who comes on moves her to a new setting with a new supporting cast. It's one of the reasons I stopped reading Wonder Woman comics ages ago. I got tired of getting attached to the supporting players only to see them disappear with each new writer. So, if it is completely necessary to keep Themyscira her one and only home and for her location in Man's World to have no long-term significance, then it would probably make more sense to make a point of making her mobile and not settle in any place. Have one story set in New York City, have the next in Paris, and then maybe she's in Rio De Janeiro the story after that. Just chalk it up to "ambassador's business".

There should be an entire neighborhood in Gateway that's like Danny The Street, but is home to a variety of humans and mythical creatures.

My idea is that Gateway is a mobile city in a sense. Like I said Diana can go to different points to go to demsions. She can go to different cities also. Things that are similar to Gateway.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    My idea is that Gateway is a mobile city in a sense. Like I said Diana can go to different points to go to demsions. She can go to different cities also. Things that are similar to Gateway.
    That's why military intelligence (ARGUS) would have such a strong presence in 'Gateway'.

Would nude people be welcome in the city? I know that some ancient Greeks went about in the nude, ..such as the Spartans, etc. Hercules and Hylas went about nude. What about the nude cyclists in real-world Frisco? How would Diana take them, Mizuno?
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 06-03-2020 at 09:18 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Eh, I don't think Wondy should have a strong association with the military

Donna appears to be a Spartan. There could easily be a colonly of nude Spartans (Donna one of them), living in a pocket universe, in the town.

Butt would they be welcome?
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 06-03-2020 at 10:13 PM.