Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Not to blow us to far off-course, but, since this discussion forces us to ask what Diana's city should look or feel like, ..perhaps, we should ask another question. What existing city should this NEW Diana, who became Wonder Woman for reasons, other than love of a mortal man, want to make her home in, after leaving Paradise? What Man's World city should a NEW Wonder Woman origin take Diana to, after leaving her mythical homeland? Perhaps, Washington, DC is not the city that should introduce the new Wonder Woman to Man's World ..or America.

But, if not DC or Boston, then, where should the origin story take her? The Candy family ranch in East Texas? A Native American reservation in Arizona? The middle of the campus of Holliday College? A small island, off the coast of North Carolina, in the American South? Maybe...another country, entirely?
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 07-05-2020 at 06:14 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

The thing with the dorm is can be both in her city and the college. The thing is how do any of these fit with Diana? Does she need a new city or just recreate it? With the Candy, Ranch would be a nice side story

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    The thing with the dorm is can be both in her city and the college. The thing is how do any of these fit with Diana? Does she need a new city or just recreate it? With the Candy, Ranch would be a nice side story
    I like that Diana's adopted home in Man's World should be on a college campus, in a center of knowledge and surrounded by young, open, impressionable minds. That, to me, has an organic feel, as if it fits what Diana is about, ..beyond superheroing, as Wonder Woman. The Lambdas or Holliday College could give Diana and Mala an old house or library to make habitable.

If Diana's downtime happens on Holliday's campus, it almost doesn't matter what city she's in, because she isn't going to be sitting around for very long, anyway. Just the same, I would prefer the busy house at Holiday College work, as Diana's Daily Planet, with Paradise serving, as her Batcave - BOTH settings being located in a fictional, iconic city. The fictional city just gives writers the freedom to be creative with it.

Honestly, I'm not sure what you can put in this city to get writers or editors to keep it around. It seems that no one associated with production of the WW comic is interested in making Diana's situation look anything like Batman's or Superman's.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 07-07-2020 at 05:49 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    They are the way I mean. They are "regular" cities. Sure, there are superheroes and villains. But they aren't full of magical creatures, they aren't full of portals to other worlds, and the laws of physics apply to 99% or more of the citizens. They are full of ordinary people with ordinary jobs. Really, only the heroes/villains are fantastical, with them functioning for the most part like cities in the real world. That's what I mean. Gotham, in particular, has stretched that a lot in post-Crisis-era, what with it being cursed and unsaveable and all. I don't care for that creative decision, either.
    They're normal cities but they do have a certain character. Gotham is dark and foreboding. Metropolis is big and inspiring. Central City is always bustling. Keystone is a hard-working blue-collar city. Opal City is historic and artistic (and for some reason everyone's obsessed with the pop and material culture of the past. Even the gangsters). Maybe that's the best place to start with imagining a city for Diana.

But then, maybe the fact that they're regular cities is the problem and why people keep thinking Themyscira should be her only real home and why everyone keeps imagining a city for Diana has to be filled with magical creatures. Maybe the modern version of the character just resists grounding and seems too big for any place that isn't already fantastical.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    I like that Diana's adopted home in Man's World should be on a college campus, in a center of knowledge and surrounded by young, open, impressionable minds. That, to me, has an organic feel, as if it fits what Diana is about, ..beyond superheroing, as Wonder Woman. The Lambdas or Holliday College could give Diana and Mala an old house or library to make habitable.

If Diana's downtime happens on Holliday's campus, it almost doesn't matter what city she's in, because she isn't going to be sitting around for very long, anyway. Just the same, I would prefer the busy house at Holiday College work, as Diana's Daily Planet, with Paradise serving, as her Batcave - BOTH settings being located in a fictional, iconic city. The fictional city just gives writers the freedom to be creative with it.

Honestly, I'm not sure what you can put in this city to get writers or editors to keep it around. It seems that no one associated with production of the WW comic is interested in making Diana's situation look anything like Batman's or Superman's.
    Which is why in a sense Gateway can work. Holliday University. Her first few years are living in there. At first things look normal but the city isn't normal. With the Paradise Island if we keep the idea there can be a portal in the University. I had an idea that the send away girls have a connection to Hollliday

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    They're normal cities but they do have a certain character. Gotham is dark and foreboding. Metropolis is big and inspiring. Central City is always bustling. Keystone is a hard-working blue-collar city. Opal City is historic and artistic (and for some reason everyone's obsessed with the pop and material culture of the past. Even the gangsters). Maybe that's the best place to start with imagining a city for Diana...filled with magical creatures. Maybe the modern version of the character just resists grounding and seems too big for any place that isn't already fantastical.
    Being an immigrant is so much a part of who Diana is and her motivation; she is hopelessly, an adventurer. I think her iconic city, be it a super-Washington or Gateway, has probably got to reflect that, ..in a way that feels organic to us readers.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 07-09-2020 at 07:40 AM.

They're normal cities but they do have a certain character. Gotham is dark and foreboding. Metropolis is big and inspiring. Central City is always bustling. Keystone is a hard-working blue-collar city. Opal City is historic and artistic (and for some reason everyone's obsessed with the pop and material culture of the past. Even the gangsters). Maybe that's the best place to start with imagining a city for Diana.
    I'm kinda "meh" on that assessment. None of those are true in these cities' original days, IMO. Well, I don't know Opal and Keystone so well. But certainly that wasn't true of Gotham, Metropolis, or Central City in the first decades of their existence. They were just cities. And I think Burton might be responsible for the heavy gothic look of Gotham (frankly, I'm kinda tired of it). Dark came a bit earlier, but even it only goes back to the 1980s as something consistent. I like a consistency of architecture (not that every building be the same, but it's nice for a certain feel for different neighborhoods having been built in certain eras, though of course architecture styles change as new building are built). But I'm don't much care about themes one way or another, so long as they don't get too heavy handed (Gotham cursed, never better, etc.). I understand it done for differentiation, but at a certain point some fictional cities have come to be treated as caricatures (Metropolis, Fawcett, and Gotham come to mind) by fans and/or creators and that's not so good to me.

I wonder Wonder Dome yea or Nah? Also, what should Diana's house even look like? I was thinking it comes to have a weird mix of modern and ancient greek design.

Okay which supporting cast and villians would you want to see. Also if we used Holliday College for a bit has a base what would Diana study? I mean if Diana was indeed 18 years old.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I like this idea people were throwing around about Gateway City as a niche portal city. I haven't read any stories where she spends time there, but working with the concept, I would make it a cross-section of students/scholars, magical misfits, mythological creatures, Amazons taking leave from Themyscira to study man's world, and the Embassy. Kind of like an urban Hogwarts. Not quite as big as a normal city, but big enough that new characters and adventures can pop up.

I wish Steve Orlando could just kick her over to Gateway, on his way out the door...wish he had time. I would prefer it be 'Marston City' and using my DCU's X-files capital idea, ..but would take Gateway, over Boston, any day...anywhere. Even if she isn't going to be hanging out in her town, as much as Bats or Big Blue, I would like to see her in a town, that reflects her personality and mythos.

As for Paradise Island, I think Queen Hippolyta should have a pack of green-caped, super-powered Purple Rottweilers, wearing little doggy bracelets, guarding her, at all times. One of them should follow Diana to America, because that would be whimsical, ..and giving her a dog and a city is one sure way to start shoveling some full-on, Kanigheresque whimsy, back into the comic.

Don't leave her in Boston, Steve...Orlando. Yeah. Some of you thought I meant that other Steve, I bet. Heh...
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 07-15-2020 at 10:58 AM. Reason: clarity

Been thinking about this for a bit. Okay to match is more with the movie why not have Diana doing an archeologist? Or something else. One other thing is maybe Argus can also be dealing with a lot more magical things? I mean if we have Villiany Inc and Godwatch it would be a good idea

I have most of my concepts for Diana’s city and it’s neighborhoods’ topography, landmarks, industries, institutions, and some of its history prior to Diana making her home there mapped out on paper in prose. I’m working on getting an artist to draw the map of the city and its features alongside my ideas for Themyscira.

There’s so much amazing Wonder lore to include in it and new ideas to add to it. I don’t what I’m going to do with it when I’m done, but it’s been a wonderful creative project to work on.

When DIana lives on her own. What house would best match her? I mean with how I see it in my head. I think there should be an area that matches somewhat like Paradise Island buildings. Not too modern yet not ancient looking

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    When DIana lives on her own. What house would best match her? I mean with how I see it in my head. I think there should be an area that matches somewhat like Paradise Island buildings. Not too modern yet not ancient looking
    I have two ideas for Diana’s dwelling. The first is a home that’s modern and has similar features to that of the most recent modern designs created by Amazon architects.

The second is an apartment that expresses Diana’s style and personality since coming to Patriarch’s World. In that space, I see a Diana Prince’s favorite Man World’s artists and photographers on the walls and other decor that expresses Diana’s style.