Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default What should we do with Diana's city

Both Gotham and Metropolis have some interesting storylines. So what about Diana? I mean going with the idea if Gateway were to be an actual gate where mythical and humans live together. What storylines do you see? Diana's life does need to be expanded.

One idea I had for Gateway was to play with the name somewhat in that it would have the only reliable access portal (or gateway) to Themyscira and it'd be where the Themysciran embassy would be based.

Other than that, I'd move a lot of stuff from Diana's publication history to the city; Holiday College, Argus' headquarters, Myndi Mayer and Veronica Cale's corporate headquarters, etc.
    Last edited by Gaius; 06-01-2020 at 04:13 PM.

Agree. Diana can have much more fun. Holiday College would be her first interaction with the outside world. This is where I would build up Holliday College. What should make it important? Honestly I thought about it somewhat like the Holliday Girls can be connected with Diana. In that, they were sent away babies.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I never thought of this because I always view Diana's Gotham and Metropolis as Themyscira. That's her unique home and city.

The stand out happenings in Diana's environment for me is every time they bring in Ancient Greece elements to the town, such as Julia Kapatelis, the professor. Barbara Minerva being an archaeologist. The Chimera that Diana captured is living in the zoo.

Since current Diana has lived through WW2, I also want her to have a connection to the museum and library. Those places should be important to her.

Holiday College will be important as long as there's someone there in Diana's recurring supporting cast. Since Etta graduated and went to the military, the attention is more on them on top of Steve Trevor also being there.

Vanessa Kapatelis was in junior high at the start of the Post Crisis, so she should go to Holiday College once she graduates, and yeah it should be in the same town.

I'm talking purely mixing continuity here, by the way, not current canon.

I don't think she needs her own fictional city. It just feels forced. She's been around for 80 years and never had one, even Gateway wasn't originally hers. Plus she already has Themyscira and I'd rather DC focused on properly developing that instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    I don't think she needs her own fictional city. It just feels forced. She's been around for 80 years and never had one, even Gateway wasn't originally hers. Plus she already has Themyscira and I'd rather DC focused on properly developing that instead.
    Heres the problem. Themiscara is her origin story and she LEAVES. A majority of her stories are set in the USA yet she has no iconic city. Without an iconic city she has no status quo. No status quo she gets shuffled around constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Heres the problem. Themiscara is her origin story and she LEAVES. A majority of her stories are set in the USA yet she has no iconic city. Without an iconic city she has no status quo. No status quo she gets shuffled around constantly.
    It's not like she permanently leaves it. While the majority of her stories are set in the US, Themyscira is still featured in a major way in almost every WW run. And she didn't have an iconic city in Martson's or Perez' or Rucka's runs and her status quo was just fine until the other writers messed it up.

It's not like she permanently leaves it. While the majority of her stories are set in the US, Themyscira is still featured in a major way in almost every WW run. And she didn't have an iconic city in Martson's or Perez' or Rucka's runs and her status quo was just fine until the other writers messed it up.
    Your basically saying focus on Krypton over Metropolis

Your basically saying focus on Krypton over Metropolis
    This comparison makes no sense. Krypton was destroyed and Superman didn't grow up there (in Byrne's origin he wasn't even born there). Themyscira is more of a Smallville.

Good case for Diana's getting an iconic city ..and keeping it. As Coast City, Midway City, Ivy City and Central City weren't added, until the 1950s (Silver Age), I see no reason why Gateway City, Georgetown, Ocean City (boring name) or my own 'Marston City' can't become that new status quo, you're talking about. Furthermore, Holliday College, treated as a locale unto itself, could be a very unique and iconic place, from which to launch Diana's adventures.

That said, I am a fan of the idea of making Gateway City, the X-files capital of DCU. In addition to Ami's idea of Gateway being a port town for beings (like TV's Andros) from magical realms, alien dimensions and lost civilizations AND Diana's home in Man's World, I think it should also be an over-militarized caricature of Washington, ..with ARGUS central HQ, right smack in the middle. With all of that in play, a new, literal gateway city could cinch together, ..Steve, the US government's interest in the paranormal, weird worlds, magic and other popular WW comic elements. I think the Wonder-Gateway, and call it whatever you like, is a winner, all the way around!

Maybe, the reason the WW comic never got an iconic city is because that would require a consistency in editing that, for whatever reason, DC Comics doesn't want to give it.

Gotham and Metropolis exist in an editorial vacuum, in the sense that we expect to see the Daily Planet and Gotham Clock Tower, whenever a story is being told, in these places. Over the years, writers have added things to these cities that whatever writers and editors, who follow them, have to keep up with. Comparatively speaking, we are much more familiar with Washington, DC's Washington Monument, U.S. Capitol Building and memorials. Much easier for writers to set Diana's stories, there or Boston, without fussing over newly added details (a clock tower, etc,) ..because there are none.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 06-02-2020 at 04:00 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

This comparison makes no sense. Krypton was destroyed and Superman didn't grow up there (in Byrne's origin he wasn't even born there). Themyscira is more of a Smallville.
    My point was the origin location is in the past and should stay as such.

That's trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. Diana isn't Superman and Themyscira isn't Krypton. There have been stories set in that location and some supporting characters that came from there. Hell, if Superman writers left Krypton in the past we wouldn't have had Supergirl, Zod, Krypto and the Fortress of Solitude. Themyscira is more comparable to Wakanda than Krypton.

When was it ever in the past?

When was it ever in the past?
    From a storytelling perspective, Clark leaves smallville abd returns very infrequently with the majority of his stories taking place in metropolis. Diana leaves/is banished and should have her own city that is hers. Not keep falling back on her origin or IRL areas

From a storytelling perspective, Clark leaves smallville abd returns very infrequently with the majority of his stories taking place in metropolis. Diana leaves/is banished and should have her own city that is hers. Not keep falling back on her origin or IRL areas
    Diana is not Clark and there's no reason for her to follow the same formula. Themyscira is by far the most consistently used location in WW books and home to the most successful supporting characters in her mythos (Hippolyta and Artemis). The reason why so many writers keep coming back to it is probably because it's something that's actually unique instead yet another generic American city.