Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 111
  1. #31
    Extraordinary Member AmiMizuno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,464

    Default

    Now, what do you mean to be welcomed? Like I said Gateway has many different dimensions. Do you mean in the main city? Now, since the Gateway City I feel would be made by both Humans and mythical creatures many are welcome but certain places they can't due to you know nudity. But each creature has their own towns and can go to many public spaces without being in trouble. So a nudist is welcome. There are many places they can go. Many places have spots for these magical places. I often think about the government is both magical and regular humans.

  2. #32
    The Comixeur Mel Dyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,478

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Now, what do you mean to be welcomed? Like I said Gateway has many different dimensions. Do you mean in the main city? Now, since the Gateway City I feel would be made by both Humans and mythical creatures many are welcome but certain places they can't due to you know nudity. But each creature has their own towns and can go to many public spaces without being in trouble. So a nudist is welcome. There are many places they can go. Many places have spots for these magical places. I often think about the government is both magical and regular humans.
    I'm told that in the real Frisco, there are nudes riding around on bikes. In Diana's city, they could be time-displaced Spartans on horses or just hanging around, stark naked, in the cafes. Diana's city should be a little weird...quirky, ..and this could add to the strangeness.

    People going about In period dress could be just as common.

    In DC, we have young men who wear their trousers below their backsides. On summer days, sweat turns their underwear transparent. They go about everywhere, this way. Comparatively, nude Spartans would not be much more trouble in the city.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 06-04-2020 at 07:19 PM.

  3. #33
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,856

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    That's why military intelligence (ARGUS) would have such a strong presence in 'Gateway'.

    Would nude people be welcome in the city? I know that some ancient Greeks went about in the nude, ..such as the Spartans, etc. Hercules and Hylas went about nude. What about the nude cyclists in real-world Frisco? How would Diana take them, Mizuno?
    A San Fran analogue did occur to me. It's very meta, setting Diana in a city so well-known for a great gay scene. And frankly you could play with the name "Gateway" and the Golden Gate Bridge and stuff like that, the same way Gotham has its pseudo-statue of Liberty and so forth. San Fran is also a massive military town so it's plenty easy to get Steve Trevor on site at some secret base under The Presidio or something. Could be totally awesome. And it's far enough away from Hal Jordan I feel like. Coast City vibes way more as a sort of Mock San Diego, that's like the whole state away.

    Could totally roll with that, too. One thing I'd make sure to do is set her in a pretty hip town that has a pretty big coastal and Navy yard presence. But it's all interesting.

    I'd like to addendum that the notion of having the Amazons lives in secret within Paradise Island within a History Museum or something, that notion of getting to explore more of the Amazons themselves and flesh out a nice thick supporting cast, seems so fun to me. You'd also get to be able to play with everything. Amazons pretending to be Man's World Modern, having fake Secret Identity Names that are funny. Probably even having really, REALLY funny things to say about pretending to have last names, because they're Patronymic. It'd be awesome to see like, Nubia or Althea, younger Amazons, enjoying the play-acting and role-playing of Secret Identities, but like, Phillipus introducing herself as "PHILIPPUS. JUST PHILIPPUS." A bit more inflexible.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

  4. #34
    The Comixeur Mel Dyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,478

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    A San Fran analogue did occur to me. It's very meta, setting Diana in a city so well-known for a great gay scene. And frankly you could play with the name "Gateway" and the Golden Gate Bridge and stuff like that, the same way Gotham has its pseudo-statue of Liberty and so forth. San Fran is also a massive military town so it's plenty easy to get Steve Trevor on site at some secret base under The Presidio or something. Could be totally awesome. And it's far enough away from Hal Jordan I feel like. Coast City vibes way more as a sort of Mock San Diego, that's like the whole state away.

    Could totally roll with that, too. One thing I'd make sure to do is set her in a pretty hip town that has a pretty big coastal and Navy yard presence. But it's all interesting.

    I'd like to addendum that the notion of having the Amazons lives in secret within Paradise Island within a History Museum or something, that notion of getting to explore more of the Amazons themselves and flesh out a nice thick supporting cast, seems so fun to me. You'd also get to be able to play with everything. Amazons pretending to be Man's World Modern, having fake Secret Identity Names that are funny. Probably even having really, REALLY funny things to say about pretending to have last names, because they're Patronymic. It'd be awesome to see like, Nubia or Althea, younger Amazons, enjoying the play-acting and role-playing of Secret Identities, but like, Phillipus introducing herself as "PHILIPPUS. JUST PHILIPPUS." A bit more inflexible.
    Sounds like a great premise, going forward!

    I think an iconic city would be great. I also think the WW comic's editors just think a town and supporting cast would be too much trouble to keep up with. Continuity requires real editing, real hours...etc. Maybe, they don't want to invest that in a book that has never sold, as well, as the Superman or Batman comics.

  5. #35
    Extraordinary Member AmiMizuno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,464

    Default

    My idea is that some of the Greek gods do live there. Mostly Athena. A few of her villains should too. Like Cheetah or Circe. Now, Doris, I had an idea that she visited Diana due to the Purple healing ray. Diana couldn't bring it with her but she tried to at least reinvented to help Doris with her illness.

  6. #36
    Astonishing Member WonderScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    3,371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Should the city be built around some already existing element in the WW comic - ARGUS, Cale Industries or Holliday College?

    Some of you don't think Diana should inherit the Spectre's city, but should, instead, be given an iconic city of her own. I'm leaning into that feeling and would prefer to see her get a 'gateway city' of her own, somewhere else.
    Yes to ARGUS, Cale Industries, Holliday University, and other Wonder institutions as the foundation and points of interest for Dianaís iconic city. (Iíve added a bunch more too, in my Wonder Woman Series Bible Thingee.)

    Culturally, sociologically, historically, and topographically, Iím loosely basing Dianaís city on San Francisco (where I lived for 20 years), but Iíve moved on from calling it Gateway City in favor of another name.

  7. #37
    Astonishing Member WonderScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    3,371

    Default

    (And, as a resident of San Francisco for 20 years, I can confirm that there are some nudists that hang out in the Castro neighborhood from time to time on warmer days. The city passed an ordinance that they have to place a towel or cloth down on anything they sit on, because: obviously. Also, I don’t think Diana would even bat a single eyelash at someone walking around in the nude.)

  8. #38
    Extraordinary Member AmiMizuno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,464

    Default

    Okay.In terms of villains who would you guys want to see living there? I would at least put both Circe and Cheetah there.

  9. #39
    Astonishing Member WonderScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    3,371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Okay.In terms of villains who would you guys want to see living there? I would at least put both Circe and Cheetah there.
    Circe is more global/cosmic (as in divine) to me, but she’d pop in from time to time to mess with Diana and her cities’ citizens. (In my telling of Circe, she’s still got Aeaea as a home base, but bounces around to Olympus and Areopagus as needed, and other divine realms.)

    Barbara Minerva would have her estate in Nottinghamshire, but her wealth and lifestyle and interests in Holliday University and the Museum of Antiquities and Museum of Natural, Metahuman, Magic, Mythological, Extradimensional, & Extraterrestrial History would mean she has a lux residence in a fashionable part of the city.

    Doctor Psycho is a resident with a long family history dating back to the founding of the city.

    Doctor Doris Zeul has ties to the biology and medical research endeavors at Holliday University.

    Veronica Cale has centered Cale-Anderson Pharmaceuticals on a big campus outside the city. C-AP also has some ties to and grants invested in Holliday University.

    Julia Kapatelis is a professor at Holliday University and her daughter Vanessa lives with her while attending university. (Helena Sandsmark is the curator and director of the aforementioned museums in the city and her daughter Cassie lives on campus while going to university.)

    Heracles lives in a secluded coastal property about an hour’s drive north of the city in a retreat known as Elexinor.

    Angle Man, Hypnota, and Zara are all residents of the city under their secret identities.

    The Mask had significant ties to the city at one time, but has since become a bit more of a global operator.

    Inversion, Fireworks Man, Paper Man, and Mouse Man all reside in the city.

    Antonio and Julia Sazia vie with Doctor Domino for control of different types of crime in the city.

    LeTonya Charles is a student at Holliday University.

    Fausta Grables is the leader of a secret white nationalist group within the city.

    Anton Unreal is a famous studio head, known for his fantastical, genre-defining films and leading SFX and has a compound outside the city.

    I’ve got more, but I’ll leave it at that for now.

  10. #40
    Extraordinary Member CRaymond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    5,734

    Default

    Iíd make Giganta comparable to Flashís Trickster. A person with a lot of issues who just needs help óbut infrequently acts up with disastrous results. A bad breakup, work problems, death in the family, teachable moments.

    Last edited by CRaymond; 06-07-2020 at 03:46 PM.

  11. #41
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,856

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Sounds like a great premise, going forward!

    I think an iconic city would be great. I also think the WW comic's editors just think a town and supporting cast would be too much trouble to keep up with. Continuity requires real editing, real hours...etc. Maybe, they don't want to invest that in a book that has never sold, as well, as the Superman or Batman comics.
    I don't really think editors are putting any man hours even into Gotham or Metropolis nowadays. I think Superman is getting an influx because Bendis likes exploring the infrastructure. That groundwork was primarily laid down by Byrne, although prior to that in the 70s there was a move to make Metropolis more cohesive and a real setting, which was no doubt spurred on by the same 1970s era in Batman. When Denny came onto Batman he started diving a little deeper, but Gotham wasn't really fleshed out the way it is now until he became the Bat-Editor, and it remained super fleshed out all through his Editorial Stewardship, right up to No Man's Land, and Brubaker & Rucka's New Gotham transitioned from there. Writers with a foot in that era like Morrison tend to at least play with the game board, but more recently there's not much consistency. Anyway, it seemed like Metropolis really followed suit. No surprise. Denny had his hands on Superman, too, as did the other like-minded writers and editors of the time, and yeah, Byrne really took it and ran, unifying a cohesive tapestry out of Superman stuff, Kirby stuff, and more. I think Paul Dini and the Animateds, since they drew so much on those eras and "showed them to us", the masses, really cemented that cohesion.

    But you still see it when a good writer likes to use that kind of stuff. I think Williamson's Flash does a good job with Central (because the TV show, you know, showed us a cohesive setting and gave it a city identity. I think to some degree Johns did a bit of work with Coast, as well as Keystone back in the day, as did other Wally Flash writers. Dixon obviously spent a lot of time on Bludhaven, coming out of that Editor Denny era. Denny did it double because he did Hub City, too. And more recently Cam Stewart and Crew did a great job fleshing out Burnside.

    So it's totally up to a writer, because I think editorial is just a lot more loose about it.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

  12. #42
    The Comixeur Mel Dyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,478

    Default

    Should Donna live in this same town? I think she can be just as jetsetting and global as Diana...just in smaller, more character-driven stories.

    Stories, where she can hug you and call you 'hon'...

  13. #43
    Extraordinary Member AmiMizuno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,464

    Default

    It would depend on when Donna comes in. I would have her go to Holliday College also. I would have her stay in for a while until Teen Titans unless we have her go back and forth

  14. #44
    Astonishing Member WonderScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    3,371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Should Donna live in this same town? I think she can be just as jetsetting and global as Diana...just in smaller, more character-driven stories.

    Stories, where she can hug you and call you 'hon'...
    True.

    My version of Donna is based out of New York for some personal and professional reasons, but also rolls up to Diana’s city and Themyscira often to check on her sister and her adopted mom and sisters regularly.

  15. #45
    Extraordinary Member AmiMizuno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    True.

    My version of Donna is based out of New York for some personal and professional reasons, but also rolls up to Diana’s city and Themyscira often to check on her sister and her adopted mom and sisters regularly.
    Interesting. I mean she technically could start off living with Diana for 1 or 2. I mean she likes Diana doesn't know much. The question is also who would be her Steve. I don't mean in romantic ways rather the bridge.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •