Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    I agree that Diana's city should have a role to play, in the broader DCU.
    I absolutely agree. And it *could* do that.

Okay, why would heroes or villains go to Gateway? Okay if we take Diana out of the equation. It has mythical ideas. It has Marston University which should be considered one of the best. We have to make a reason why this city is important to DC. Even without people knowing about the hub.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Okay, why would heroes or villains go to Gateway? Okay if we take Diana out of the equation. It has mythical ideas. It has Marston University which should be considered one of the best. We have to make a reason why this city is important to DC. Even without people knowing about the hub.
    It's the DCU's most militarized city, with over-sized tanks, planes and cannons in the streets, ..as well as the port city for supernatural and weird beings...the Capital of Weird. Tabloids say it's sidewalk cafes are peopled with secret agents and time-lost and extra-dimensional visitors, like Diana. Basically, it's the Spectre's old, supernatural super-city, but with a larger-than-life military presence juxtaposed, against it. This is why people come to 'Gateway'! Calling it Marston City, Georgetown or Holliday City would only make it something especially new, for Diana.

It's the X-files Capital of the DCU.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 06-23-2020 at 01:20 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

When I thought about the type of city. It should somehow be hidden. Like I said earlier. The city much like certain things only can be seen by certain people and others who they tell will never believe them. Like at first I thought it would be funny either Bruce or Clark should see it. Despite battling magic beings. I often think it would be interesting to see how they learn something from her.

The more I think about it. Should Vannesa be the same age as Diana? Her and Diana going to Holliday College?

Hey now if we were to think about the population. At least the magical population. How big should it be?

When I thought about the type of city. It should somehow be hidden. Like I said earlier. The city much like certain things only can be seen by certain people and others who they tell will never believe them. Like at first I thought it would be funny either Bruce or Clark should see it. Despite battling magic beings. I often think it would be interesting to see how they learn something from her.
    So, this would be an Invisible City! I love it. It's very, very weird, ..but, I love it.

The other superheroes have somewhat generic, comic book cities. This city of yours would be markedly different, in that it incorporates the supernatural aspects of the leading lady into the city, ..in a very literal way. That would be a bold move for the WW comic, and it needs that...

And a city, with a dog park.

Last edited by Mel Dyer; 06-29-2020 at 07:14 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

People have brought up that Themyscira should be Wonder Woman's Metropolis/Gotham but I would equate it more with it being her Fortress of Solitude/Batcave.

Why not set her in Opal City?

Honestly, thinking more it feels like time would be better served to more develop and flesh out Themyscira than another fictional comic book city.

I don't want to see Diana in Themyscira all the time. I'd take Gateway or D.C. or another new fictional mundane city over seeing more Themyscira. I'm also not into the magic-heavy aspect, and prefer a much more ordinary-world-city-feel and traditional superheros to magic and myth, though I know many feel otherwise.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I don't want to see Diana in Themyscira all the time. I'd take Gateway or D.C. or another new fictional mundane city over seeing more Themyscira. I'm also not into the magic-heavy aspect, and prefer a much more ordinary-world-city-feel and traditional superheros to magic and myth, though I know many feel otherwise.
    What is a traditional Superhero city? It's not like Superman, Batman, and Flash's cities are similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I think this is what Azzarello was going for, locating Diana in a nondescript high-rise apartment, in London. It was so nondescript that we never saw the façade of the building ..or a name. That she was in London had nothing to do with anything; so, I can't say how that helped the quality of the storytelling.

I like the idea of gateway's citizens being from magical realms, alien dimensions and lost civilizations, if only because it gives ARGUS and the military presence in the city, ..a relevance that it doesn't presently have. The pitfall is that a 'weird, wonderful city' makes Wonder Woman significantly less of a wonder or oddity, whereas, with your idea, ..she might stand out, more. There are so many ways to overload this sandwich and mess this weird, wonderful city up, conceptually.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 07-05-2020 at 01:54 AM.

Can't we do both? Have her have a fictional city and use Paradise Island. The thing is what is Paradise Island to be used for? If we look at Marston's she used it to relax or throw off her villains. I had an idea that Holliday Girls are trained to protected the city at least the ones who can see the other side of the city.

Can't we do both? Have her have a fictional city and use Paradise Island. The thing is what is Paradise Island to be used for? If we look at Marston's she used it to relax or throw off her villains. I had an idea that Holliday Girls are trained to protected the city at least the ones who can see the other side of the city.
    I guess I favor seeing Diana's iconic city incorporate the port city feel and weirdness of Gateway and the militarization and monuments of Washington DC, ..in one city. I think these things speak to aspects of who Wonder Woman is, ..in a way that Paradise Island does not. It's also not DC or Boston, as I see them.

Is that Gateway City, Georgetown, Ocean City, Navy City, Holliday City...who knows? I think it's got to be someplace very familiar to us, but, also brand new and exciting, ..until it's a classic.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 07-05-2020 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    What is a traditional Superhero city? It's not like Superman, Batman, and Flash's cities are similar.
    They are the way I mean. They are "regular" cities. Sure, there are superheroes and villains. But they aren't full of magical creatures, they aren't full of portals to other worlds, and the laws of physics apply to 99% or more of the citizens. They are full of ordinary people with ordinary jobs. Really, only the heroes/villains are fantastical, with them functioning for the most part like cities in the real world. That's what I mean. Gotham, in particular, has stretched that a lot in post-Crisis-era, what with it being cursed and unsaveable and all. I don't care for that creative decision, either.

I think this is what Azzarello was going for, locating Diana in a nondescript high-rise apartment, in London. It was so nondescript that we never saw the façade of the building ..or a name. That she was in London had nothing to do with anything; so, I can't say how that helped the quality of the storytelling.
    Well, that's a fault in the storytelling, not the setting, to me. So many heroes never seem to interact with ordinary people anymore, and that's a shame to me. A separate issue from the city thing, to me, though.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 07-05-2020 at 03:46 PM.