Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Hal Jordan vs Superman

Both current versions, who wins

I'm pretty sure current Clark has super speed, like all his predecessors. So, does current Hal have auto shields? If not...
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    I'm pretty sure current Clark has super speed, like all his predecessors. So, does current Hal have auto shields? If not...
    He does, but they won't hold up to the blitz. Current Superman is ridiculous. But Hal also got some big upgrades, and Morrison is really pushing the magic wishing ring angle, so he if he got a chance to act he could devolve Superman or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    He does, but they won't hold up to the blitz. Current Superman is ridiculous. But Hal also got some big upgrades, and Morrison is really pushing the magic wishing ring angle, so he if he got a chance to act he could devolve Superman or whatever.
    Ok then. So Hal lacks a "Heavens Gate" feat like Kyle? Man I haven't picked up a Green Lantern book in a stretch. Morrison is writing him or is this a Justice League thing?
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    Ok then. So Hal lacks a "Heavens Gate" feat like Kyle? Man I haven't picked up a Green Lantern book in a stretch. Morrison is writing him or is this a Justice League thing?
    No, current Hal is running around making suns. He's not lacking for raw power. But autoshields aren't as good as a maxed out shield. Superman, who shatters planets by jumping off of them, can throw millions of blows at that autoshield and overwhelm it. Kyle would be in the same boat.

Really, any decent Lantern who has time to go intangible should be able to take Superman. But Superman doesn't give them that time.

BANNED

Anyone else want to comment?

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Why? The good Captain has described exactly what happens when a human-based Lantern meets a Kryptonian. And nobody on the board knows Lantern lore better, nor generally likes them more, then he.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Astonishing Member

Does the current Hal have the old feats of:

1. Producing green K
    2. Projecting antimatter

In the dim past, Superman (boy) was worried that antimatter might disintegrate him as he was made of normal matter. The issue was a fight with the Legion's Wildfire.

Given you don't get blitzed, if either of those two are viable options today - they are better than constructs which usually get shattered.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    Does the current Hal have the old feats of:

1. Producing green K
    2. Projecting antimatter

In the dim past, Superman (boy) was worried that antimatter might disintegrate him as he was made of normal matter. The issue was a fight with the Legion's Wildfire.

Given you don't get blitzed, if either of those two are viable options today - they are better than constructs which usually get shattered.
    Lanterns have a bunch of options but absolutely get blitzed before bringing them online.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

BANNED

Does Superman regularly blitz people, I ask because I’ve rarely seen any comic battle end in a blitz

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mider2009 View Post
    Does Superman regularly blitz people, I ask because I’ve rarely seen any comic battle end in a blitz
    He has the speed to do it, so here, he does it. Writers having him NOT do that are just being writers and continuing the story.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Pretty much what big_adventure said. If it's something Clark is capable of, it's a perfectly viable tactic on Rumbles.
    ----------------------

BANNED

You mean writers don’t want to end the story after one issue? Wow, you’re smart.

Anyway as he usually never speed blitzes I’d give a huge edge to GL, he could likely do something crazy like drain his solar energy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mider2009 View Post
    That is because it would make for a boring comic. He HAS ended fights with blitzes plenty of times, and displayed other speed feats that require the reflexes you'd use in combat. Also, a good chunk of his enemies are kryptonian or faux kryptonians who also have super speed, so it just looks like normal fight. Clark, Zod, and Rogol Zaar recently brawled in the Phantom Zone, and Clark's internal monologue noted they were fighting at speeds most eyes couldn't even see. Those that don't, like Lobo or Mongul, have been turned into super speed punching bags on the occasions writers acknowledge what super speed means for a fight. Occasionally it is noted that using speed is one of the trickier things to control for when holding back and not trying to kill people, but it is mostly just Plot Induced Stupidity.

On rumbles, we assume two things:

1) Characters are bloodlusted, and will do anything they can to win. This includes Batman and Superman being willing to kill.

2) Unless a character is actually supposed to be an idiot (see: the Rhino) they will actually use their powers to the best of their ability. Superman isn't an idiot.

This creates a fairly objective baseline to discuss the fight, rather than the winner just being whoever the writer wants to win. But it also means super speed almost always wins.

Edit: That being said, it is your thread. You can equalize speed or change whatever other conditions you like. But if you don't specify doing so, these are the assumptions we use.

BANNED

Wouldn’t that just end every battle and create a boring battle?

I thought Jordan could move at warp speeds? Can’t find much on his speed sept a few absurd areas where he moves way way way faster then the speed of light.