Default What are you thoughts on the Superman/Batman comics?

Regarding the 2003 run and more current

I read a couple once, did not like the way Bruce was in them put it down, never read another

Are they worth it? What are they like?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Cute, gay fanfic material

I'm serious

That's the reason I read them because most of their stories don't affect canon and I tend to only follow canon unless there's another reason

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    Regarding the 2003 run and more current

I read a couple once, did not like the way Bruce was in them put it down, never read another

Are they worth it? What are they like?
    • Batman/Superman (2003) #1-26 by Jeph Loeb are ok - but Jeph Loeb has never been an excellent writter.
    • Batman/Superman (2003) #27-36 by Mark Verheiden are so so.
    • Batman/Superman (2003) #37-42 by Alan Burnett - I haven't read
    • Batman/Superman (2003) #43 by Dan Abnett - I haven't read by Dan Abnett's work can be good
    • Batman/Superman (2003) #44-56, 60-63 by Micheal Green & Mike Johnson - I haven't read
    • Batman/Superman (2003) #57-59 by Dan Abnett & Mike Johnson - I haven't read
    • Batman/Superman (2003) #64, 68-71 by Joe Casey - I haven't read
    • Batman/Superman (2003) #65 by Matt Cherniss & Peter Johnson - I haven't read
    • Batman/Superman (2003) #66-67 by Scott Kolins - I haven't read - It's a Blackest Night tie-in
    • Batman/Superman (2003) #68-74 by Paul Levitz - I haven't read
    • Batman/Superman (2003) #75 - Special issue by various - I haven't read
    • Batman/Superman (2003) #76 by Judd Winick - I haven't read
    • Batman/Superman (2003) #77 by Joshua Williamson - I haven't read
    • Batman/Superman (2003) #78 by Joe Kelly - I haven't read
    • Batman/Superman (2003) #79-80 by Chris Roberson - I haven't read
    • Batman/Superman (2003) #81-84 by Cullen Bunn - I haven't read
    • Batman/Superman (2003) #85-87 by Joshua Hale Fialkov - I haven't read

-- The Batman/Superman (2003) only ended because of Flashpoint -- It lasted long, so it musn't be that bad --

• Batman/Superman (2013) #1-32 by Greg Pak - I haven't read, but Greg Pak is a good writter.

-- Batman/Superman (2013) ended with the crossover "The Last Days of Superman" --

-- Batman/Superman (2019) starts after Dark Knights: Metal and Justice League: No Justice --
    • Batman/Superman (2019) #1-ongoing by Joshua Williamson - I don't know what it's worth

Extraordinary Member

For Batman, it’s a place to put the weirder side of his mythos that won’t effect the relative normalcy of the other books.

For Superman, it’s a place to showcase him more as a hero that bounces off of a lancer (Batman.)

Batman already does that whenever he does something with a sidekick.
    Last edited by Will Evans; 06-03-2020 at 04:43 PM.

Mostly, no. But I did like that weird issue where they both became women.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Cute, gay fanfic material

I'm serious

That's the reason I read them because most of their stories don't affect canon and I tend to only follow canon unless there's another reason
    I absolutely love this description of Superman/Batman because it is 100% true.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Mostly, no. But I did like that weird issue where they both became women.
    Well now I am curious what issue was this? Lol.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

BANNED

Batman always emasculated Supes, just recently bats called supes out as his sidekick.

I think Loeb had some interesting parallels and contrasts he made good use of.....but his entire run was basically "Batman = dark! Superman = light! Batman mean! Superman nice!" It was interesting for a issue or two but lacked nuance, depth, and boiled both characters down into some really simple, basic bitch sized pieces so the contrasts would work better. If you can read any of it for free, it won't be a total waste of your time but I dunno how much I'd pay for it now.

Once Loeb left, I can't really many issues that really impressed me; some okay-decent stuff but nothing I'd recommend as a must read.

The New52 book by Pak....the first arc might be worth reading; it's got younger, rougher, more brash and reckless versions of Clark and Bruce and then compares them to versions from another earth in what we'd call a more traditional mold, and is interesting....but not really something I'd say people *have* to check out. The art by Jai Lee is great, probably makes the first arc worth reading just for that. After that story I'd recommend just passing on all of it (and I'm a fan of Pak, but that wasn't his best work).

The current series starts out with more Loeb style contrast and, outside of the art by David Marquez, is not something I'd recommend unless you were a big fan of Metal and the Batman Who Laughs. But the second arc, a short little 2 or 3 parter with Zod and Ra's, was actually quite solid. I'd recommend that.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I think titles like this are important for newer readers. I mean JUSTICE LEAGUE is so great cause you get the most bang for you buck there. All the best are there under the umbrella of one price.

BATMAN/SUPERMAN is like that.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 06-06-2020 at 06:51 AM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

It's almost always a popcorn team up book. Think of your favorite 80s action star. Instead of the hits everyone remembers, this reads more like one of their side movies you caught on cable all those years back.

The most notable thing any of them ever did that had an effect on the DCU was it was where President Luthor ended, if I recall. After that it's just been the popcorn book.

If you're down for that, go for it. If not, try some deep cuts like Starman. It's on DC Universe and every page is a treasure.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    But the second arc, a short little 2 or 3 parter with Zod and Ra's, was actually quite solid. I'd recommend that.
    The Zod and Ra's story was quite good. It involves those poor Kandorians (who can never get a break) with great art by Nick Derrington.

Astonishing Member

What I remember fondly:

• new Toyman, Hiro Okamura
    • Lightning Lord, Saturn Queen, and Cosmic King—three supervillains from the 31st century (Beauty Blaze)
    • the Maximums
    • two new variations of Kryptonite that have been also enhanced by a magical charm: one causes Superman to feel like a child and carefree for the day, which also has implications of a drug-like effect,...
    • Lil' Leaguers
    • Justice Titans in Gothamopolis
    • Supergirl tries to get the help of Batman to investigate, but ends up only finding the current Robin Damian Wayne
    • Batwoman, Superwoman, Super-Lad
    • Batzarro, Bizarro
    Last edited by scary harpy; 06-07-2020 at 10:24 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    What I remember fondly:

• new Toyman, Hiro Okamura
    • Lightning Lord, Saturn Queen, and Cosmic King—three supervillains from the 31st century (Beauty Blaze)
    • the Maximums
    • two new variations of Kryptonite that have been also enhanced by a magical charm: one causes Superman to feel like a child and carefree for the day, which also has implications of a drug-like effect,...
    • Lil' Leaguers
    • Justice Titans in Gothamopolis
    • Supergirl tries to get the help of Batman to investigate, but ends up only finding the current Robin Damian Wayne
    • Batwoman, Superwoman, Super-Lad
    • Batzarro, Bizarro
    Also The Legion of Supergirls.