Yet another DC Black Level series has arrived... although not quite. The story behind this particular series is kinda messy since it was supposedly going to be an ongoing series originally and you can tell once that it reaches its conclusion (which I will talk about later). Then again, there are a lot of things to appreciate here based on the people involved.

This book sees the return of Brian Azzarello at writing DC Comics and I couldn't be happier. I have always loved his craft, he has always been able to create engaging dialogue that makes you entertained while also showing depth in the characters and in fact, that's one of the most distinctive aspects here.

The story is fortunately not that centered around Harley Quinn as I expected. I love Harley, I love the Birds of Prey but I don't love the idea of them combined. This title is clearly based on the cast from the movie as a way to promote it (and we all know how well that usually turns out, can't forget Rob Williams' Suicide Squad) but unlike the last title Harley Quinn & the Birds of Prey by Jimmy Palmiotti and Amanda Conner, Azzarello doesn't act like all these characters know each other from the movie (at least not the ones that are not supposed to know each other) and creates a much better way to develop the cast because of it.

Azzarello actually implements the history of each heroine nicely. The best example here is Dinah whose connection with Steve Trevor hints at their time on Team 7 way back in the New 52 (and there's even a direct reference later) while her career as a singer is also present here. Harley's time on the Suicide Squad is obviously shown as well and the fact that they let her go makes sense considering she hasn't been a full-blown criminal for quite a while. Lots of respect for continuity.

The dialogue as mentioned, makes you invested in all of them with memorable lines everywhere that allows for a great dynamic between the team while also depicting them perfectly.

The story, oh boy, this is the only problem here. The plot is centered about a group of murderers as I said and you might think the issue revolves around then but at the end is not really resolved and the last pages are just dedicated to Harley's relationship with the Joker (which is really on-point by cementing his obsession with Batman but still, is kinda tiring). This is where the roots of the ongoing series are obvious, it's pretty clear that Azzarello had an idea for a running series but things went wrong.

Emanuela Luppachino handles the art and is gorgeous, I have always loved the way she depicts characters, particularly women, everyone here looks beautiful and expressive.

Aside from the problems with the plot, or lack of it, I really digged this. Definitely one of the best reads this week.