Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel Wars View Post
    They were together in the last Green Arrow ongoing that ended last year.
    Yeah, but you never know with them.

Is this in continuity? I didn't know Montoya was even around in Rebirth.

I have not read anything with Rebirth Huntress or Canary to know if this gels with their current characters.

I do like the writing for Harley at least. Her talking to herself in the mirror was fun. The art was very good and the Campbell cover was gorgeous.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Its probably not in continuity too much cursing and Joker doesn't appear to look like his current look

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel Wars View Post
    They were together in the last Green Arrow ongoing that ended last year.
    It ended with them separated, for what it's worth. Moreover putting this under Black Label means it may not be in continuity, so there's that too.

I don't even care that she went for the foursome. Never was my interpretation, but I'm not going to slut shame her over what others would high five a male character for. No, what pissed me off was her turning a blind eye to a friend in need.

That is not Black Canary.

This is the woman who helped Roy Harper kick his habit even everyone else gave up on him. She was by his side the entire time.

This Dinah shrugs off another friend in need for meaningless sex.

I'm sorry, but that's hot garbage straight up and down. The whole damn book felt wrong. I was worried Azz was a poor fit when they announced this book all those months ago and I hate being right on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    It ended with them separated, for what it's worth. Moreover putting this under Black Label means it may not be in continuity, so there's that too.

I don't even care that she went for the foursome. Never was my interpretation, but I'm not going to slut shame her over what others would high five a male character for. No, what pissed me off was her turning a blind eye to a friend in need.

This is the woman who helped Roy Harper kick his habit even everyone else gave up on him. She was by his side the entire time.

I'm sorry, but that's hot garbage straight up and down. The whole damn book felt wrong. I was worried Azz was a poor fit when they announced this book all those months ago and I hate being right on this one.
    I'm not trying to slut shame, just that it seems a tad excessive for Dinah. I don't remember her sleeping around that much when she was written by Simone. It seems like she's in a bad place in this book. Add th issue of her also abandoning someone for it and it looks even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    Is this in continuity? I didn't know Montoya was even around in Rebirth.
    It's not main universe. Renee's been around almost since the start of Rebirth here and there. She's currently the Question and dating Kate Kane again.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm not trying to slut shame, just that it seems a tad excessive for Dinah. I don't remember her sleeping around that much when she was written by Simone. It seems like she's in a bad place in this book. Add th issue of her also abandoning someone for it and it looks even worse.
    Her and Ollie have always had a very sexual relationship, and while that idea doesn't seem like any Dinah I've ever read, it also doesn't strike me as absolutely out of character especially since it's presented as her running away from her problems (though "those guys hit the spot" was very weird to read her say). She always struck me as a girl who likes a good time, whatever that may mean to her. To Azz that means casual sex with some dudes. Again, not my take or one I care for, but I can kind of see the tracks to that train of thought even if I'd never board it. I agree it's excessive. Felt like Azz was trying way too hard to be edgy like a kid learning to swear, which come to think of it was a problem in Damned. He just can't help himself, I guess.

I don't like it, but it wasn't my primary concern. Dinah abandoning a friend so she can have casual, meaningless sex? That sucks.
    Last edited by Robanker; 06-04-2020 at 04:25 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post

I think Black Canary is the hero who suffers the most from the attempt to orient the Birds of Prey around Harley, save maybe Cass; the other heroes and characters have an easier time getting grungier to allow Harley to be an anti-heroine and not a target. Huntress has the vengeance and lethal vigilante thing she can lean into, and Montoya can be the hard boiled detective favoring the lesser evil against the greater evil.

Cass and Dinah have the problem of having no prior adaptation that would be fine with Harley killing. They’re also both too traditionally competent to maintain their moral code and follow Harley’s lead. So, in both the movie and the comic, they’re the ones getting dinged and derailed a bit to fit the plot for Harley’s sake.

For a contrast, the Injustice universe features a Harley who allies with Black Canary, but there, they try and move Harley up to Canary’s level, rather than try and drag Canary down to Harley’s.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

This was made for the movie. So this kind of really makes sense. I mean it's an elsewhere nothing ever can really be right for all characters. But I do question if this should have been a thing.

Why was this even published?

The villains were uninteresting racist stereotypes. The plotting was incoherent. Characterisation was either uninteresting or bad. The art and the plot felt like they were at odds with each other. And unlike Conner's and Palmiotti's Birds of Prey book, this wasn't in the least fun.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Eh kind of reeks of what not to do with a Black Label book. BATMAN: DAMNED, too.

Superficially mature.

I echo what I saw someone on Twitter say about this: Emanuela Lupacchino deserves to work with better writers.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

I found Dinah dealing with her former associate's death (and middle-of-the-night phone call for that matter) interesting and overall enjoyed the story until it ended and I felt shortchanged. This one-shot is definitely not something I'm looking for in a comic...

Its not a one shot
    There are still 2 more issues to come out

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Its not a one shot
    There are still 2 more issues to come out
    Where did you hear that? Everything released about it says it's a one shot