Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kindred?

Astonishing Member

Default Kindred?

We have not dealt with Kindred for awhile.These are my suspects.
    A: Harry. B: Ned Leeds. C: Crime Master. D: Gwen. The one who fits every box is Ned. He despises Peter, died, was in the Ditko run, and became a supervillain and probably went to Hell. The only hesitation I have is Spencer likes the obscure character and seeing Crime Master in the Original Gwen comic makes you wonder? The only thing is what would he have against Peter? Opinions?

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    We have not dealt with Kindred for awhile.These are my suspects.
    A: Harry. B: Ned Leeds. C: Crime Master. D: Gwen. The one who fits every box is Ned. He despises Peter, died, was in the Ditko run, and became a supervillain and probably went to Hell. The only hesitation I have is Spencer likes the obscure character and seeing Crime Master in the Original Gwen comic makes you wonder? The only thing is what would he have against Peter? Opinions?
    I agree that Ned checks a lot of boxes. He's known Peter for a long time, they've had an antagonistic relationship and rivalry at points, he would hold Peter accountable for failing to save him from Roderick Kingsley's manipulations and the Foreigner's mercenaries, his skills digging up dirt would serve him well in climbing hell's corporate ladder.

Arrow

I'm not sure about Ned going to Hell. Ned was brainwashed into thinking himself the OG Hobgoblin but he wasn't the OG Hobgoblin (far as we know). Sure he was a bit of a shady guy at times but was he evil, I doubt it. Otherwise, Ned is a strong suspect given the clues.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I'm not sure about Ned going to Hell. Ned was brainwashed into thinking himself the OG Hobgoblin but he wasn't the OG Hobgoblin (far as we know). Sure he was a bit of a shady guy at times but was he evil, I doubt it. Otherwise, Ned is a strong suspect given the clues.
    Ned was certainly a douche towards Betty as well, and quite often people who are abuser ( physical, verbal and psychological, blame others for losing their “Significant Other” and he could in his mind transfer the blame onto Peter ( somehow thinking that he is protecting women from Peter).

I was thinking Harry but Ned is a good choice. I tend to forget about him. Has Kindred literally come back from hell or is he speaking figuratively?

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelWarrior View Post
    I was thinking Harry but Ned is a good choice. I tend to forget about him. Has Kindred literally come back from hell or is he speaking figuratively?
    Literally. Somehow he worked his way up the food chain there and gained power.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Literally. Somehow he worked his way up the food chain there and gained power.
    I do not think Kindred necessarily worked themselves up the food chain. Why? Mephisto could easily make a deal with who Kindred originally was. Basically whispers in their ear, I know you do not like Peter, and you want to get out of here, all you have to do is this and you can have revenge.

But Ned was seen before Hunted, at least his clone. I know that clones' logic is really complicated when it comes to Spider-Man, but Spencer made Billy's clone have the soul of the late Billy Connors. How does that work in the case of the Prowler, where the original and the clone were alive at the same time, I don't know. Gwen is maybe the only character I don't want to see as a hellish villain. Harry would work, though it would be the second time Spencer "fixes" a resurrection of a character that died in a comicbook written by J.M DeMatteis. I guess if Geoff Johns can make two comics that are born from stories written by Alan Moore, Spencer can do the same with DeMatteis
    Last edited by Chubistian; 06-03-2020 at 10:37 AM.
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

It's obviously Nathan Lubensky...........

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    But Ned was seen before Hunted, at least his clone. I know that clones' logic is really complicated when it comes to Spider-Man, but Spencer made Billy's clone have the soul of the late Billy Connors. How does that work in the case of the Prowler, where the original and the clone were alive at the same time, I don't know. Gwen is maybe the only character I don't want to see as a hellish villain. Harry would work, though it would be the second time Spencer "fixes" a resurrection of a character that died in a comicbook written by J.M DeMatteis. I guess if Geoff Johns can make two comics that are born from stories written by Alan Moore, Spencer can do the same with DeMatteis
    This could either be Spencer's logic or a No Prize worthy answer, but one could argue that Ned seemed the most different of everyone brought back in CC because his soul was not capable of coming back to him. I'd lean the former - as far as playing fair with storytelling, having Clone Ned appear and be "wrong" is better than just ignoring a recent story, and it makes sure people that didn't read Slott's run are at least familiar with Ned as a dead person who came back. It also makes the curious decision to kill him off after his very recent resurrection seem less cavalier and more calculated. That could all just be me pushing positive motives onto Spencer because I want the reveal to be good, but it hangs together
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    This could either be Spencer's logic or a No Prize worthy answer, but one could argue that Ned seemed the most different of everyone brought back in CC because his soul was not capable of coming back to him. I'd lean the former - as far as playing fair with storytelling, having Clone Ned appear and be "wrong" is better than just ignoring a recent story, and it makes sure people that didn't read Slott's run are at least familiar with Ned as a dead person who came back. It also makes the curious decision to kill him off after his very recent resurrection seem less cavalier and more calculated. That could all just be me pushing positive motives onto Spencer because I want the reveal to be good, but it hangs together
    Yeah, I kind of got the same vibe from Ned Leeds' clone popping up briefly only to die.

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    That would work, and it just occurred to me that it’d be fun to have Ned as Kindred because it would be the second time he is the secret identity of a masked villain, but this time it works to rectify how his identity as Hobgoblin was retconned
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Astonishing Member

That would work, and it just occurred to me that it’d be fun to have Ned as Kindred because it would be the second time he is the secret identity of a masked villain, but this time it works to rectify how his identity as Hobgoblin was retconned
    I certainly would like Leeds as Kindred, and then put a stake through the heart of OMD for good.

My biggest concern with any option that isn't Harry, is that the ASM tie-ins to Absolute Carnage point towards Kindred having fear of Norman in the past and a personal revenge against him nowadays, which screams Harry Osborn. I know that those issues make it pretty obvious that Norman's son is the one behind the mask to the extreme that one says "nah, it's a red herring", but maybe that was Spencer's aim (or maybe it is just that I want that Child Within type of feud back with a new twist so bad because I'm a big fan of the Harry Osborn Saga). Though there're other characters that also make sense when one takes the tie-ins into account.

Astonishing Member

My biggest concern with any option that isn't Harry, is that the ASM tie-ins to Absolute Carnage point towards Kindred having fear of Norman in the past and a personal revenge against him nowadays, which screams Harry Osborn. I know that those issues make it pretty obvious that Norman's son is the one behind the mask to the extreme that one says "nah, it's a red herring", but maybe that was Spencer's aim (or maybe it is just that I want that Child Within type of feud back with a new twist so bad because I'm a big fan of the Harry Osborn Saga). Though there're other characters that also make sense when one takes the tie-ins into account.
    The fear and hatred of Norman could also be Gwen or Crime Master ( especially Gwen)