Boisterously Confused

Default Know What's Been Driving Me Crazy About The George Floyd Tragedy?

I'm a mid-50 white guy in a rural, southern town.

What's making me crazy is my limited ability to make it better. Not only my limited ability to shift policy, or police attitude, or average citizen attitude.

What makes me crazy is the degree to which I must support another person's very worthy fight, from a distance.

I'm a comics fan. I project myself on Batman, but - what's making me nuts - it's time to be Alfred.

This my fight. It's not my fight to lead. Or even fix bayonets in the trenches. It's my fight to carry litters, or dig trenches, or serve food.

I apologise if this offends. I just had to say it to someone, somewhere.

Being a behind the scenes person is just as important. Look at the medical workers who were not protesting but working to treat protesters who were injured by police. Look at the reporters. They are not part of the story (unless attacked or arrested by police). They are recording the story as it happens so people cant hide behind lies.

I volunteer with a criminal justice group. But I am not the guy who talks to the press or city leaders. I am the guy doing interviews with released inmates, addressing envelopes, filing paper work. Not the biggest thing in the world but I like to think that by doing the grunt work those better equipped to do the heavy lifting are free and focused on that.

Doing anything in the fight for reform not matter how small helps.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

There are things that you can do, but there is one thing that, even a behind the scenes person should definately do to help. Vote! Vote for candidates who do have to power to make it better, and support those candidates anyway you can.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Additional ways to help.

1. If you want to physically help find out if you can help local communities with the clean up. The more hands helping to fix things the better. Or find out, if you want to, how to help them march. Ie, defense for their quarterback if you will.

2. Find out about the groups in your area protesting and see what supplies they need. Given what's happened, goggles, milk, masks, water, etc. Donate them.

3. If you have the cash look for groups that are working on bailing out protesters. Help them out in that way.

4. Show solidarity by listening to them. Give them room to speak.

5. Vote and call both state, local and federal reps and senators and tell them that you want legislation passed on reforms for the police department forces and the unions. Tell them you want offices who do this to be arrested and tried in the court and for unions to not have the power that they have over mayors and other officials.

6. Even after this make sure you keep helping. Keep asking for change, and voting for local laws and regulations to fix this.

One thing I hold dear as someone who grew up near Chicago is the belief that even after something devastating people are willing to pick up, dust off and help one another, and we need to do that. Let the black community take the lead but be the Sheild between them and those that want to harm them. Be that in a physical sense or just metaphorically. Do what you can for them, and in turn the actions will be paid forward in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I'm a mid-50 white guy in a rural, southern town.

What's making me crazy is my limited ability to make it better. Not only my limited ability to shift policy, or police attitude, or average citizen attitude.

What makes me crazy is the degree to which I must support another person's very worthy fight, from a distance.

I'm a comics fan. I project myself on Batman, but - what's making me nuts - it's time to be Alfred.

This my fight. It's not my fight to lead. Or even fix bayonets in the trenches. It's my fight to carry litters, or dig trenches, or serve food.

I apologise if this offends. I just had to say it to someone, somewhere.
    Bruh doing any kinda of action to correct a wrong no matter how small has tremendous consequences...You know how easy it is to do nothing? Sooooo easy lol. No one person can change the world. It takes a community of people each doing their part. Thinking about the reach of your actions against the backward actions of others might discourage you into inaction.But keep it up Man!
    GrindrStone(D)

Sounds like you are in a Red State and feel change is not going to happen there. But it can, Kansas has a Democratic Governor and Georgia would have if Kemp didn't cheat. But beyond that, you can help defeat Trump and the Republicans in other States. You can donate to Biden or Democrats in close races elsewhere. And if you don't have money for that, you can volunteer your time to help them win. Our connected society means you can offer your time from anywhere.
    Stay strong, stay safe.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!