Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by FBarnhill View Post
    Maybe it’s just me but it’s kinda funny how Selina felt the need to still include cat ears in her makeshift costume.

Random aside about that last panel: It's a relatively rare appearance of a clearly real-world product (Pop-Tarts), and not a DCU-brand version.

In the very last story, how many Easter eggs did everyone catch?
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Astonishing Member

"Skin the Cat" - By Paul Dini and Emmanuela Luppachino.

A nice fun story. Definitely gave me a BTAS vibe. And I loved the idea of Selina being the one who can "do anything with prep-time". Looks like Bruce's rubbing off on her

"Now You See Mee" - By Ann Nocenti and Robson Rocha.

This was an interesting one. The ending was a bit contrived. But it kinda highlights Selina's fundamental integrity, even though she is a thief.

"Helena" - By Tom King and Mikel Janin.

I haven't really read the earlier King stories about Bruce and Selina's future, but I loved this story mainly because of Helena Wayne. I wonder if she's Huntress in this continuity. spoilers:
    Its an interesting situation, having Bruce dead (of old age? or Batman stuff?) and Selina alive...since on pre-Crisis Earth 2, Selina is the one who died first.
    end of spoilers

"The Catwoman of Earth" - By Jeff Parker and Jonathan Case.

A fun romp! The TV version of Catwoman I've always felt is the one incarnation of the character who was, in a sense, unabashedly 'evil' (or at any rate, not someone who was particularly sympathetic, or likely to reform). So it was interesting to see her play the hero. The aliens stuff just doesn't fit in with Batman '66 (the show...dunno about the comics), though I guess its a nod to the wacky Silver Age Batman comics that kinda inspired the tone of the show.

"A Cat of Nine Tales" - By Liam Sharp.

Fun story! Nuff said!

"Little Bird" - By Mindy Newell and Lee Garbett.

This one particularly interested me since its clearly set in the Year One era. It was a nice, heartfelt emotional story. But I was a bit confused about exactly what was happening between Selina and Batman in that scene.

"Born to Kiln" By Chuck Dixon and Kelly Jones.

A fun action story. Once again we get to see Catwoman as someone who can strategize on the move and take down a powerful opponent as easily as Batman. Its a little jarring to see Clayface in full villain mode having most recently read him as part of Tim and Kate's team.

"Conventional Wisdom" - By Will Pfeiffer and Pia Guerra.

A wonderfully meta story and a great tribute to Catwoman's history. I'm proud to say I figured out who the villain was pretty early on!

"Addicted to Trouble" - By Ram V and Fernando Blanco.

Haven't really been following the current Catwoman run and was confused by who Maggie was, but the idea of Selina on a cross-country trip was a fun one.

"The Art of Picking a Lock" - By Ed Brubaker and Cameron Stewart.

Another great story, straight out of Brubaker's era. It was nice to see Holly as, well, Holly, and not the mass-murderering faux-Catwoman from King's run (as much as I kinda liked that story).

On the whole, not the greatest collection in the world, but a decent showcase of Catwoman. I would have liked a story set during the Golden Age...I feel that's the only thing really missing here.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FBarnhill View Post
    I assumed the special was about the history of the character through the comics, not in general, otherwise we'd also see a reference to Hathaway's. That said, it was weird to see them use the Returns costume when that was never used in any comic book officially. Plus, even if they wanted to pay tribute to her throughout cinema, I'm sure they'd leave out the Berry version, given that one wasn't Selina. The same way I'd expect them to not reference Phoenix as the Joker in any DC tribute.

And Date Knight was by Cooke, not Brubaker.
    The Halle Catwoman was mentioned though in the Dc Nation's issue in the run up to the wedding issue that was listing all of Bruce and Selina's ex's.

I enjoyed this and only wish that Dick grayson had received the same treatment for his 80th

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    I enjoyed this and only wish that Dick grayson had received the same treatment for his 80th
    Well, Catwoman isn't a legacy mantle like Robin is...at the same time, while I enjoyed reading this, I felt the Robin 80th special was a little stronger overall story-wise.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, Catwoman isn't a legacy mantle like Robin is...at the same time, while I enjoyed reading this, I felt the Robin 80th special was a little stronger overall story-wise.
    Honestly, the Robin special was a bit over-the-place in its focus. It couldn't make up its mind whether it was supposed to be celebrating Dick Grayson or Robin. The result was that we got a bunch of stories of different Robins, and we also got Dick as Nightwing and Agent 37...and very little of Dick as Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Honestly, the Robin special was a bit over-the-place in its focus. It couldn't make up its mind whether it was supposed to be celebrating Dick Grayson or Robin. The result was that we got a bunch of stories of different Robins, and we also got Dick as Nightwing and Agent 37...and very little of Dick as Robin.
    It was celebrating Robin, which is why it featured every Robin. It just had more Dick stories because Dick was the original and his later identities or roles as a character reflect back to some extent on the Robin identity.

Astonishing Member

It was celebrating Robin, which is why it featured every Robin. It just had more Dick stories because Dick was the original and his later identities or roles as a character reflect back to some extent on the Robin identity.
    Agreed.

I just wish that we actually got to see more of him as Robin.

Of the 4-5 Dick Grayson stories that I recall, one was about the oath he took before he became Robin, one was about his very last mission as Robin, and then you had stories of him as Nightwing and Agent 37.

Finally got my hands on this and, well, it was alright. Kind of wish they didn't give so much of King's story away before hand. Overall i thought it was less cohesive then the Robin anniversary
    Last edited by Godlike13; 06-08-2020 at 11:08 AM.

Mighty Member

Wasent dc comics on Tuesday not Monday

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fin5 View Post
    Wasent dc comics on Tuesday not Monday
    ???? If you didn't have so many posts I'd think you were a failed spammer with this post.

Enjoyable issue. Ram V has a good handle on Selina’s voice, looking forward to his run now. I actually enjoyed King’s story, the awkwardness fit with how I envisioned the two handling parenthood.
    I would've traded the Nocenti story for something from Valentine.

Gotham criminals always have to be on-brand .
    Yeah it sucks that the best 2010s Catwoman writer didn’t get a story here. Really wish DC could get Valentine back.

Astonishing Member

This past weekend, made it to the shop and spotted the Julie Newmar cover -- it was the only issue on the stand. Price tag seemed a bit high, but it should appreciate in value. I haven't read every story, but I really liked 'Helena'. I only wish they had included a story form the Golden Age or even Bronze Age. I didn't care for Kelly Jones' artwork on 90s Catwoman. And Balent must have forgotten that his costume didn't include high heels!

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    And Balent must have forgotten that his costume didn't include high heels!
    I think we're lucky he didn't draw her wearing just the cowl, and nothing else...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I think we're lucky he didn't draw her wearing just the cowl, and nothing else...
    To be honest, it felt like the colorist had to add detail because he basically did that anyway.

Incredible Member

My favorite story was the Catwoman of Earth. I'm a sucker for the 66 Catwoman. I thought the art was great. My least favorite was Helena because Helena is supposed to be planned not an accident. I disliked how cavalier they were about. The art was great though.