Default Alternate cuts of Solo and Rogue One

With all the hoopla over DC director's cut lately, wondering if there's any call for this.

Both of course had a lot of reshoots-"Rogue One"'s trailers feature several scenes that are totally different to the movie, although it's possible some were just deleted (I have a theory that the scene with Saw "What happens if they take you" was perhaps a flashback to him leaving her behind, and not simply an alternate version of the main Saw scene with a different look). It looks like in particular some elements of Scarif were different, with Krennic taking a more active role in the battle. Also there's that shot of Vader looking at what appears to be a schematic of the Death Star (perhaps on the Death Star itself). I'm wondering if perhaps there's a different cut of the movie that's complete and could be interesting to see.

As for the sequels, not sure if much was altered in reshoots although I think TLJ originally was going to have Finn be a pilot, judging by the "sizzle reel" footage.

SOLO of course had a slightly similar situation to Justice League, switching directors in the middle of production, however, I'm not sure how much of Solo was shot with Lord and Miller, or how much of their footage is in the final cut.

Star Wars fans of course have often demanded an alternate cut of films on home video-the OT's original versions that is (There hasn't really been a similar drive for the prequels, which also were altered a few times too-TPM's DVD extended the pod race, and of course the blu-ray gave us the CG Yoda; AOTC reedited part of the Dooku battle and added some extra seconds to Anakin's confession; ROTS largely remained the same I think apart from one or two edits).

I'm not sure what Disney's/Lucasfilm's feelings/policy are regarding these kinds of things-they haven't, for example, released the unedited OT (although there might be some other factors preventing that).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

iMan 42s

The main thing I know about Solo was that we would've seen his piloting (said scene even got shown) which would've explained how he ended up on Mimban. It's brief but that's a major difference just off the top of my head.

I don't know if the Snyder treatment is worthwhile for a Star Wars movie though. Alternate cuts and deleted scenes do exist though outside a couple of examples I'm not sure how much it'd be worth it. The Snyder cut is important to people because the resultant movie in theaters and for home viewing is perceived different in such a way the scenes and tone have changed things to be almost a different movie. The Predator even got a bit of talk about this given that the movie got re-shot to a point 1-2/3's of the movie isn't what the writer and director had intended to shoot which actually did result in an almost completely different movie. Ultimately I can't think of anything Star Wars where the movie changed that drastically to the point we'd need to or be interested in what was intended. Mon Mothma in ROTS is interesting sure, but I don't think ROTS is truly lacking for not including it for example.

There is a demand for the unaltered cuts but other than that Lucas did seem to get his intended film out to the market "Maclunkey" and all.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Know some people have started demanding a recut of Revenge of the Sith after WB decided to let Snyder have another go at his movie (which is a really odd request, given that George Lucas was essentially able to make the prequels exactly like he wanted, unlike Snyder, who had outside circumstances changing what he had in mind). There was also that JJ Cut nonsense we had to deal with. Sure how that WB "giving into" the Snyder Cut crowd doesn't create some monster of fans thinking they can get these things in the future just by harassing the studio until it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    The main thing I know about Solo was that we would've seen his piloting (said scene even got shown) which would've explained how he ended up on Mimban. It's brief but that's a major difference just off the top of my head.
    Well, Paul Bettany wasn't the original villain (Michael K. Williams was the original actor, but was recast when he couldn't make the reshoot), so there is that. However, unlike with Zack Snyder, I'm not sure if there's enough footage to try and recreate the "original vision" of the film.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Apparently the scenes of Han in the TIE fighter are part of Ron Howard's work, and was one of the last scenes shot. The weird Star Destroyer shown in the scene even wound up in some merchandise I think.

Final movie just decided to go with him immediately becoming a Stormtrooper (of sorts) and him getting kicked out was explained well enough in dialogue I guess.

There's been some fan-cuts I think of ANH with how Lucas's original edit would've worked, with the Biggs stuff interrupting the film's opening battle. Although the scenes are an interesting curiousity on their own, they definitely slow down the film's first act and it's good that it's all cut. I don't mind the hanger scene re-added in the SE too much, it's short, actually adds a bit more context to how Luke knows Biggs (I wonder if some earlier audiences were ever confused by the "beggar's canyon back home" line?) without interrupting the flow too much.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Apparently the scenes of Han in the TIE fighter are part of Ron Howard's work, and was one of the last scenes shot. The weird Star Destroyer shown in the scene even wound up in some merchandise I think.

Final movie just decided to go with him immediately becoming a Stormtrooper (of sorts) and him getting kicked out was explained well enough in dialogue I guess.

There's been some fan-cuts I think of ANH with how Lucas's original edit would've worked, with the Biggs stuff interrupting the film's opening battle. Although the scenes are an interesting curiousity on their own, they definitely slow down the film's first act and it's good that it's all cut. I don't mind the hanger scene re-added in the SE too much, it's short, actually adds a bit more context to how Luke knows Biggs (I wonder if some earlier audiences were ever confused by the "beggar's canyon back home" line?) without interrupting the flow too much.
    The one big thing the Biggs scene provides is it makes Luke come across as less whiny - it shows why he wants to get out of there aside from him just being a kid chafing at a guardian's authority.

Some of the expanded stuff really makes that hit home - one of the comics Marvel did left me with the impression that leaving Luke with Owen was a major mistake on Obi-Wan's part.
    Dark does not mean deep.

I suspect that in general we will likely to see more alternate cuts of movies showing up, to fill the vacuum resulting from the lack of new movies. Not that i expect such things would make a ton of money on demand or in theaters, but i could see streaming services wanting them as a means of helping to retain subscribers.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Know some people have started demanding a recut of Revenge of the Sith after WB decided to let Snyder have another go at his movie (which is a really odd request, given that George Lucas was essentially able to make the prequels exactly like he wanted, unlike Snyder, who had outside circumstances changing what he had in mind). There was also that JJ Cut nonsense we had to deal with. Sure how that WB "giving into" the Snyder Cut crowd doesn't create some monster of fans thinking they can get these things in the future just by harassing the studio until it happens.

Well, Paul Bettany wasn't the original villain (Michael K. Williams was the original actor, but was recast when he couldn't make the reshoot), so there is that. However, unlike with Zack Snyder, I'm not sure if there's enough footage to try and recreate the "original vision" of the film.
    I think the closest you’d get to any alternate cuts would be just alternate takes, deleted scenes, or some “orphaned” storylines, especially for RO and Solo.

I don’t think there’s such a thing as a “JJ cut” of TROS - though I do think there’s almost certainly a large selection of Finn scenes and storyline elements since an awful lot of things seem to point at LFL interfering with stuff involving the three main ST characters.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Some new endings for Solo would be cool. We obviously, and sadly as far as i'm concerned, never going to get the sequel they seemed to have in mind so....

Kind of curious about how Disney would handle Jabba. One thing I think people can agree on with the Disney films is that they generally use more practical effects than the prequels did (at least for many of the aliens), so maybe we'd end up with a practical Jabba.