Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Default If 5G ain't happening what is gonna happen to jon?

I don't particularly think the direction has been great for the character, that's just me. If there is no end game, wouldn't the age up and legion thing be wasted? I don't think jon with legion is sustainable at all. There is a limit to what the character scope will be, compared to the potential.This is also important since bendis says he had stayed longer than he planned. Didio who seems to have been rumoured to be the brains of the operation is also gone.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 06-02-2020 at 09:24 PM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I don't particularly think the direction has been great for the character, that's just me. If there is no end game, wouldn't the age up and legion thing be wasted? I don't think jon with legion is sustainable at all. There is a limit to what the character scope will be, compared to the potential.This is also important since bendis says he had stayed longer than he planned. Didio who seems to have been rumoured to be the brains of the operation is also gone.
    I think it's still happening, but in a far more measured way than Didio had originally planned. Rather than replacing all of DC's top heroes, it'll likely just be Jon taking over as Superman for a time and a handful of other characters. It looks very unlikely that Batman is going to be Luke Fox anytime soon, nor will Wonder Woman be Nubia (or whomever it was supposed to be).

Things are still in flux at the moment. We have no idea what the plan is for Flash post-Williamson, GL post-Morrison, or if Manapul's Aquaman will happen or not. Reportedly, it was originally an Earth One GN, then it was changed to 5G, so it could be switched back again.

While the linewide 5G replacement is most likely no longer happening, that doesn’t mean Bendis couldn’t still replace Clark with Jon as Superman for a bit. It’s would probably be marketed as a temporary change from the start. As for the long term? I suspect like Clark’s secret identity, Jon will inevitably go back to being a kid again. His age up has not been widely loved and I doubt that with Didio gone there will still be a demand for an aged up Jon.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    While the linewide 5G replacement is most likely no longer happening, that doesn’t mean Bendis couldn’t still replace Clark with Jon as Superman for a bit. It’s would probably be marketed as a temporary change from the start. As for the long term? I suspect like Clark’s secret identity, Jon will inevitably go back to being a kid again. His age up has not been widely loved and I doubt that with Didio gone there will still be a demand for an aged up Jon.
    The sneaky part about how Bendis aged Jon up is that anyone could easily bring back 12 year old Jon by plucking him out of his deliberately vague Lost Years between his disappearance and reappearance as a teenager. There's no way he spent 5 years being tortured on Earth-3 and came out that well adjusted.

Given the utter contempt and inability most comic writers have writing young kids, I wouldn’t be shocked if they just play off the whole thing and leave him with the Legion. Bendis isn’t going anywhere and he’s already adjusting his plans with Checkmate. And there’s nothing that’s been set up that requires 5G yet. I think the same way with Batman they’ll play it off and just keep going.

There might be more Super Sons books with kid Jon, but I don’t expect them to bring him back in the main books. He’ll be with the Legion for as long as that book goes.

Fantastic Member

Good!! I'll be glad if 5G doesn't happen!! I thought Dc would be making a big mistake anyway!! Why is dc Comics copying Marvel comics anyway?? Jon can go back to being a kid, Clark, Lois and Jon can go back to living together like a family again!! There's only one superman!! Clark Kent!!
    Last edited by lotchj; 06-03-2020 at 06:20 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Given the utter contempt and inability most comic writers have writing young kids, I wouldn’t be shocked if they just play off the whole thing and leave him with the Legion. Bendis isn’t going anywhere and he’s already adjusting his plans with Checkmate. And there’s nothing that’s been set up that requires 5G yet. I think the same way with Batman they’ll play it off and just keep going.

There might be more Super Sons books with kid Jon, but I don’t expect them to bring him back in the main books. He’ll be with the Legion for as long as that book goes.
    While young Jon is beloved by most fans, I have never felt that equated to DC/most writers wanting to writing him or more specifically, writing someone at his tender age of ten for an indeterminate and long period who would forever need adult supervision even if we never saw it on panel. I think what made the Super Sons book work was the idea that at the end of the book Jon went home and slept in his bed with his parents a door away. This book could have gone on forever and that would have been fine but there's a limit for some to what a 10 year old should be allowed to do, I think it was essentially written in when he was rejected from joining the TT. Could he be used in the greater DCU with similar effect as in SS or Tomasi's Superman? Not as a 10 year old he couldn't. And that also reflected on his parents, particularly Lois. Clark could go gallivanting across the universe for issue after issue across several books without setting foot on earth but I couldn't imagine Lois carving up for herself half of that panel space without the possibility of some readers wondering when is she going home to her son.

As much as it sucks, but for practical storytelling reasons, deep down I feel 10 year-old Jon was always on a short-leash and DC would pull his plug sooner or later. They just did it sooner that most would have liked and did it before we could fully appreciate his presence with the whole of the Super family cast like Kara and especially Conner. How they did will forever grate people and knowing that they always intended to age him for 5G hasn't helped much either. Could they bring young Jon back after Bendis leaves, after we've had a go with Jon Superman? most likely but I suspect DC will settle with old Jon because he's easier to use long term.

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    While young Jon is beloved by most fans, I have never felt that equated to DC/most writers wanting to writing him or more specifically, writing someone at his tender age of ten for an indeterminate and long period who would forever need adult supervision even if we never saw it on panel. I think what made the Super Sons book work was the idea that at the end of the book Jon went home and slept in his bed with his parents a door away. This book could have gone on forever and that would have been fine but there's a limit for some to what a 10 year old should be allowed to do, I think it was essentially written in when he was rejected from joining the TT. Could he be used in the greater DCU with similar effect as in SS or Tomasi's Superman? Not as a 10 year old he couldn't. And that also reflected on his parents, particularly Lois. Clark could go gallivanting across the universe for issue after issue across several books without setting foot on earth but I couldn't imagine Lois carving up for herself half of that panel space without the possibility of some readers wondering when is she going home to her son.

As much as it sucks, but for practical storytelling reasons, deep down I feel 10 year-old Jon was always on a short-leash and DC would pull his plug sooner or later. They just did it sooner that most would have liked and did it before we could fully appreciate his presence with the whole of the Super family cast like Kara and especially Conner. How they did will forever grate people and knowing that they always intended to age him for 5G hasn't helped much either. Could they bring young Jon back after Bendis leaves, after we've had a go with Jon Superman? most likely but I suspect DC will settle with old Jon because he's easier to use long term.
    Damian is 13, a measly 3 years older kid.The entire titans is built of child soldiers. Jimmy and dick were pretty much 10 or 8 when they started. Clark can't keep jon safe without him getting trained. The books was about a kid being stuck in this world copung with it, learning to defend himself and have fun adventure. Nothing says a book like that can't exist. Jon basically saw aftermath of a masscre in his first adventure. He saw his entire family become doomsdays, while he had to hide inside a fortress aways from his mother who became a monster. He saw his mom legs get decapitated. He went to apocalypse and tamed hell hounds. The intrigue was always the kid coping with all this and still trying to be normal. Teen titans rejected him because a) his powers were unstable b) the team itself was in shambles.Not because of his age. Clark himself was young boy with legion.Regardless, jon bendis doesn't get jon's voice right whether he 10 or 17.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 06-03-2020 at 07:35 AM.

My hope on what happens to Jon? Limbo. Comic book limbo.

I mean I doubt it will happen, but it is my hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post

You got a friend in me there. Its a lonely hill, but its a hill worth dying on.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Deadpool and Harley got pushed because they were popular (as much as their haters refuse to admit).
    Yep, although Birds of Prey showed Harley’s popularity has limits.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    You got a friend in me there. Its a lonely hill, but its a hill worth dying on.
    Lmao I knew you two would post this. Only way I could buy into Jon going away is if we did another full reboot and got rid of the marriage. Lois and Clark being married with no kids just doesn’t interest me. Might as well go back to young early twenties Superman again.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yep, although Birds of Prey showed Harley’s popularity has limits.
    Did it though? I mean there's a lot of factors that worked against this movie, I don't think we can view its failure as merely a result of the character not being popular enough. Give her a movie with those factors removed and it still fails, then you have a fair argument.

Lmao I knew you two would post this. Only way I could buy into Jon going away is if we did another full reboot and got rid of the marriage. Lois and Clark being married with no kids just doesn’t interest me. Might as well go back to young early twenties Superman again.
    I'd be okay with that. I mean I have nothing against the marriage itself, and Lois will always be his one true love to me, but I have no investment in their relationship being officially and legally married. Disagree there's no interest in them married without children, plenty of real married couples never have kids, but at this point I'll take anything to not have Superdaddy be a thing.

If they were sticking with the older, married version of Superman what I'd actually suggest is erasing back just far enough then just having Lois get pregnant and actually try to do a child somewhat right. Something intended to actually build Lois and Clark's characters as parents without the ulterior motive and cheap shortcuts that Jon is entirely dependent and built upon. I'd rather have the younger version Superman, I think anyone who knows my tastes just a little bit knows that already, but barring that the former would be something they should have done not long after 1996 anyway in a post-Crisis-based continuity.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-07-2020 at 10:36 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

If i am stuck with superman who pulls "hey! Kids" routine and with writers who don't get him writing him as lame naive paternalistic doofus or stupid savior/role model nonsense , after the kid being gone. Then hard pass. With a kid, it's tolerable. They should make billy be superman's permanent sidekick or have jimmy be kid again. I have said this before, a superdad without a kid doesn't work.Superman as a youngster can be written like that.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 06-08-2020 at 12:50 AM.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I don't want him to go to limbo. I just want him to be like Damian and go be part of the titans and not be too much of a focus in the main super books. Which is why I like Bendis's run, I read Superman for Clark, not his son.