Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    Sure we saw Superboy left to his own devices, he had a book with Damian and we certainly saw Superman doing his thing outside of Jon, he's a title character, top tier but not Lois and I'm not talking about having her own book. I mean being used accordingly outside of being Jon's mother and Superman's wife. Lois was tied down by young Jon for the most part (and I love young Jon but I've loved Lois lane longer and would have appreciated seeing more of her since I was already seeing plentiful of the guys). They would break her out for a bit but her role in those books was shockingly minimal and I did not appreciate it.

I will not get into the whole manga thing. I don't read them.
    @Ascended said superman books are about Superman. Anyways, lois was used like that because tomasi wasn't focusing on reporting as a whole. He actively didn't focus on it. Was clark a reporter in his run? The answer is no. Lois was doing reporting things outside the panel. Why? Because tomasi didn't want to tell a story about that. Moreover, i doubt tomasi was going to tell a story like that regardless of jon. Jurgens was already on it. Finally , just because a run focused on lois the mom and lois the badass fighter. Doesn't mean others can't have lois being a reporter with a more noir flavour.

Hoping for the major reset that gets rid of all this, Jon included. Outside of that unlikely eventuality, really hard to say what they'll do especially considering things being set up and foreshadowed to date still supports the replacement angle happening to some degree.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member

I wish Jon went back to being 10 and then over the next few years were allowed to age naturally up to about 15, when he would be about the same age as his Dad was when he was the "classic" Superboy of Smallville. Then Lois and Clark could give him about the same degree of autonomy, and the same degree of adult supervision, as Jonathan and Martha gave Clark. As it is, Lois and Clark have been denied the joy (and grief!) of guiding their son as he goes through the critical years of young adolescence, which isn't fair to them nor to Jon.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    I wish Jon went back to being 10 and then over the next few years were allowed to age naturally up to about 15, when he would be about the same age as his Dad was when he was the "classic" Superboy of Smallville. Then Lois and Clark could give him about the same degree of autonomy, and the same degree of adult supervision, as Jonathan and Martha gave Clark. As it is, Lois and Clark have been denied the joy (and grief!) of guiding their son as he goes through the critical years of young adolescence, which isn't fair to them nor to Jon.
    Yes, I'm all for this.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

The impression that I get from DC right now is that they are wanting to go back to a sort of late nineties, post Crisis type status quo. You see this in things like the return of the Kents, and Conner, and the JSA. This probably means pushing Jon to the backburner. Sending him into the future is a way to kind of get him out of the picture as an excuse to get him back to that status quo. If I were to look into my crystal ball and guess at the future, I would say he will be brought back from the future and his age reduced back to a ten year old. Possibly even having his memory wiped. And Conner will be the "official" Superboy again. While Jon will be relegated to maybe smaller roles in the Super books going forward. Possibly get the SS book back. Bendis' influence will probably be scaled back quite a bit with Didio out of the picture.
    Assassinate Putin!

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    The impression that I get from DC right now is that they are wanting to go back to a sort of late nineties, post Crisis type status quo. You see this in things like the return of the Kents, and Conner, and the JSA. This probably means pushing Jon to the backburner. Sending him into the future is a way to kind of get him out of the picture as an excuse to get him back to that status quo. If I were to look into my crystal ball and guess at the future, I would say he will be brought back from the future and his age reduced back to a ten year old. Possibly even having his memory wiped. And Conner will be the "official" Superboy again. While Jon will be relegated to maybe smaller roles in the Super books going forward. Possibly get the SS book back. Bendis' influence will probably be scaled back quite a bit with Didio out of the picture.
    Yeeesh! Then i guess i am of the superbooks then.90's superman was hard to read through for me. Bibbo was the only thing i liked. Heck! I read through and had some fun with supedickery. But, 90's superman is entirely boring for me.If i have supersons or anything else then it's ok. I am sure there will be writers like snyder who can do something fantastic with the character.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    We basically already got a return to the 90s Post Crisis status quo with Rebirth. We had Jurgens writing Action during that period, and his run was all about bringing back 90s stuff. I don’t think that’s what Bendis is going for. His run reminds me more of the post-Infinite Crisis pre-New Krypton status quo with Johns and Busiek.

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    I'd like to see Jon back to 10, as well. My biggest problem with the age-up was that it just seemed like a lazy way to compensate for the fact that most comic writers can't write children. I still say that you get one who can in there, it could be great. And honestly, with Ma and Pa alive again, there's more potential for stories: three generations of bonding, for one thing, but also just more story fodder in general - and a way to get Jon back on a farm, which is where I feel his best stories were.

Jon had the potential to grow himself a pretty good fan base and be something unique (for younger readers, especially). But those ideas need time to develop, and not quite 2 years isn't going to cut it. How long did we have Robin before we had Nightwing? Imo, an organic progression is a much better idea. If you want Jon to be more background on Superman stories, maybe bring back the "Superman Family" idea for a comic - it wouldn't be easy, but I do think there could be a unique market for it.

Though, I honestly can't say I'm surprised to see DC/WB trying to skip steps... it's kinda their m.o..
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Yeah, they skipped steps with the movies too. Justice League had no business happening before Aquaman - and we're still waiting for Flash's movie, which I think should've also been before JL. That's why the DCEU is a mess, they're rushing instead of doing what Marvel did.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, they skipped steps with the movies too. Justice League had no business happening before Aquaman - and we're still waiting for Flash's movie, which I think should've also been before JL. That's why the DCEU is a mess, they're rushing instead of doing what Marvel did.
    To be fair: They tried copying Marvel with Green Lantern. An action-comedy starting a prominent but lesser known DC character, it even had a post-credit scene with Amanda Waller iirc. Of course it was also a total disaster and that’s why they decided to let Snyder do his thing which also ended up being a disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    To be fair: They tried copying Marvel with Green Lantern. An action-comedy starting a prominent but lesser known DC character, it even had a post-credit scene with Amanda Waller iirc. Of course it was also a total disaster and that’s why they decided to let Snyder do his thing which also ended up being a disaster.
    ^^^Its funnier because they basically had expies for the (way more fun and successful) GoTG and just didn’t know it.
    Hal, Katma Tui, Kilowog, Medphyl and Ch’p.

I can see him staying as 16 or just getting aged down again.

GL was a comedy? I found it BORING.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    GL was a comedy? I found it BORING.
    It was trying to be. Didn’t say it succeeded lmao. But the tone was clearly “Iron Man”-ish

It was trying to be. Didn’t say it succeeded lmao. But the tone was clearly “Iron Man”-ish
    I think that's partially why they went with Reynolds for Hal.