Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Post-Bendis Era Speculation

So our very own Superlad has listened to the Off-Panel Podcast and confirmed Bendis’ run is nearing its end:
    Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Bendis leaving the Superman books are legitimate. No word on if this means both, but it's likely.

No word on when it'll be ending. Around fall I'd imagine.

All signs point to him continuing to stay on Legion and Young Justice.
    Link to the podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000476414603

So now I guess I thought I’d make a thread for us to talk about what we’d like to see Post-Bendis. Who would you want on the main Superman books? What other Super-Family books would you like to see? My guess is that Superman will be relaunched once Death Metal ends, and it will be part of a linewide initiative like Rebirth and the New 52 were. It’s a bold new era with Didio gone, and old creators like Mark Waid are talking with DC’s editors again.

My line-up:
    Superman - Mark Waid. If Jurgens can get another shot on the books why not Waid? I liked Birthright better than anything Jurgens has done, and I wouldn’t mind seeing Waid get a shot at writing the big guy again. He was part of the Superman 2000 pitch long ago, it would be interesting to see how he handles the current married with a kid Superman. Also if he could get rid of Secret Origin and make Birthright the canon origin again, that would be nice.
    Back-up choices:
    1. Christopher Priest. Priest is a guy who brings a lot of intelligence to his writing. He’s good at cutting to the core of the character like he did with Deathstroke, as well as seeing the potential a character has like with Black Panther. He would write a smart Superman, albeit a more cynical one for sure. It wouldn’t be to everyone’s taste, but I would still love to see what he has GIS ay with the character. Plus Supes has never had a long run from a black creator, and I would like to explore that viewpoint.
    2. Ram V. Love his work on JLD and stuff like Savage Shores, I would definitely be interested in seeing what he brings to Superman

Action Comics - Gene Yang. After Superman Smashes The Klan he deserves another shot on the main books, and I would love to see how he would handle the character without the editorial mandates of the New 52 era.
    Back-up choices:
    1. Jeff Loveness. He wrote some great issues like The Glasses and I would love to see him get a long run on Superman. He’s done good cosmic stuff over at Marvel with his Nova book. I really hope he gets a chance to show us his stuff.
    2. Joshua Willamson. I know he’s not too everyone’s taste but I’ve really enjoyed his Superman in Batman/Superman and think he could do a good job on the main title. He’s using Superman Rogues who don’t get much attention or love like Atomic Skull and Ultra-Humanite, I’d like to see further usage of Superman’s mainstays in his books.
    Last edited by Vordan; 06-08-2020 at 10:42 AM.

Put Jeff Parker on something .

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I'd honestly like to see Joshua Williamson take on the character. He is leaving the Flash after a 5 year run and what I appreciated the most about his run is that he had a fondness for what made the character great, while also building up the world around him with concepts from pre flashpoint and also using newer characters like Wallace West and Avery Ho. The way he incporated the flash family is the same way I'd like to see the super family be developed. Another great thing he did was always reference what was happening in continuity and doing small things to show all the books are connected.

Supergirl - Tom Taylor. He’s never impressed me with his Superman, even when his Supes isn’t a psycho, so why not give him Supergirl? I think he did an ok job with her in Injustice 2, and he’s become “big” enough that he’d probably get more editorial freedom than what the usual writer gets.
    Back-up writers:
    1. Gail Simone. She’s talked about wanting to do a Supergirl story and I think she would be perfect. Gail can do darker serious work, and lighter comedic stuff, she’s done both with series like Secret Six and Birds of Prey.
    2. Sterling Gates. He’s said on Twitter he has more Supergirl stories to tell, and Kara doesn’t have as much continuity stuff to deal with as Kal does. Put him and Igle back on the book and let them write Supergirl stories again. Failing that, let them write that All-Star Supergirl story Gates has talked about doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Put Jeff Parker on something .
    He would be perfect but does he even want to do a Big 2 ongoing book? He seems to be content working on the sidelines on smaller books or at non-Big 2 companies.
    Last edited by Vordan; 06-08-2020 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    He would be perfect but does he even want to do a Big 2 ongoing book? He seems to be content working on the sidelines on smaller books or at non-Big 2 companies.
    He's doing stories for the Flash Giant/Digital First series.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

So, is al ewing a good pick?

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    A good pick, but probably not a probable one.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I've kind of suspected that Bendis was a Didio hire. And with him out of the picture, his cover is gone. Plus, my understanding is that he didn't bring in nearly the numbers they were hoping for. It sounds like they're trying to get rid of any trace of the Didio era.
    Assassinate Putin!

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I've kind of suspected that Bendis was a Didio hire. And with him out of the picture, his cover is gone. Plus, my understanding is that he didn't bring in nearly the numbers they were hoping for. It sounds like they're trying to get rid of any trace of the Didio era.
    There was a rumour that Didio didn't like the kid in main titles at all. I assume he realised the kid was over with fans. hence, pushed his agenda for a new "kewl" superman with 5G.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    He’s one of two creators I would kill to see on Superman, the other being Jonathan Hickman. However he’s not leaving Marvel any time soon, right now he’s got an exclusive contract, and after Immortal Hulk I bet Marvel will give him any book he wants.
    He was. Didio was the guy who brought him over and tasked Bendis with doing stuff like revamping YJ, Legion, and DC’s spy organizations. That said I don’t know if Didio leaving has any correlation with Bendis has said he’s already stayed on longer than he initially planned, and we don’t know where Bendis is going next.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

My guess would be that once Bendis is gone, Jon magically goes back to being a ten year old.
    Assassinate Putin!

My guess would be that once Bendis is gone, Jon magically goes back to being a ten year old.
    That's my hope but Bendis mentioned no plans to finish on his Legion series which features teenage Jon. So long as Bendis is on Legion, I doubt Jon can be aged back down.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

🙃

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Bendis leaving the Superman books are legitimate. No word on if this means both, but it's likely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    In a recent podcast, Waid said he's begun a chronological reread of Superman's life starting with the earliest Superboy stories. He said he was "taking copious amounts of notes"

Take that as you will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Any chance Waid is going back to DC to reboot Supes and making Superman Now!/Superman 2000 (or something close to it) finally happening? 😂

I'm all-aboard the Waid/Yang train. Throw is some Doc Shaner on art.

Reinstate the Birthright Origin and tell some Year Two stories. That would be the dream. But I don't think we'll be that lucky.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

I very much doubt Waid would be taking the main books, and Shaner's on Strange Adventures. Leaning towards Yang as the most likely contender; just about anybody could be on the other book. If I had my way it'd be Pak/Kuder for a full-on apology tour from editorial.
    Buh-bye