Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    If Jon stays a teen, you could do a superboy solo with him trying to figure out what his new normal is. He can't really return to the life he had when he left as he's much older etc. That's a decent hook and you could dwelve into what actually happened when he was away etc.
    Solo won't last long, sales won't be good. Jon as kid wasn't that much of a draw,as teen saying it would be lesser is an understatement. They need something more wild. Have teen jon go on a quest to find the superman sword with new52 jeans and tshirt superman across the multiverse to defeat some ancient evil.That would be fun. That's not gonna happen though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Thing is though Gohan supplanting Goku was rejected by readers. Its why Toriyama had to go back to Goku after the Cell Saga in the first place, they demanded the star back. Despite Gohan's popularity, and he was and is a very popular character, it still didn't fly to try and complete that journey for him. After all that build-up which was very much successful build-up, they still had to back off of it in the end. It would be the same with Superman, if not more fervent a response. It wouldn't fly to complete a hero's journey for someone else because focus would be taken off of him not only in the lead-up but upon completion. Superman is the star and the appeal, you can't ever have that undermined by a supporting character. Midoriya is a different case on the other hand as that's a story that was built and designed from the ground up about a protégé taking the reigns from his mentor. So it works there, he is and was always supposed to be the main character. But you can't do those types of heroes journeys for a child of Superman in his comics. The only way that would go over would be in alternate set ups where it can take focus, or, ironically enough, in a situation like now where he's far enough removed from Superman to be able to make the journey solo. Again with the caveat that he can't then come back and supplant Superman. He'd have become something on his own, like Nightwing.
    I'm not sure if it was readers who were solely responsible for Gohan failing to take over from Goku as the protagonist of Dragon Ball. A Dragon Ball Youtuber called Geekdom101 claimed in one of his videos that Toriyama was simply tired of writing Dragon Ball by the Buu Saga and that bringing back Goku was an 'anything can happen' decision. Anyway, I tried to specify that Jon could have benefited from some aspects of these characters, not copy and paste them into Jon's character. I agree Jon's development couldn't and shouldn't come at the expense of Superman because there is the caveat that he can't supplant his father in the role. What you describe at the end is what I personally wanted for Jon to find his own destiny and purpose.

Toriyama wanted to end the series with freiza saga. They prompted him to continue. He did with only thread that was open in mind. Gohan was that thread.Must say its one of the memorable moments of dragon ball where gohan let's go.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

is there a Superman or DC lore that allows him to reverse age within the story after he's aged naturally? Otherwise, I'm fine with a hard reboot. This kinda thing force the writers to put certain characters on hold or contained in certain books while they figure out the branding, and what I want is a cohesive universe where everyone has a place.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    is there a Superman or DC lore that allows him to reverse age within the story after he's aged naturally? Otherwise, I'm fine with a hard reboot. This kinda thing force the writers to put certain characters on hold or contained in certain books while they figure out the branding, and what I want is a cohesive universe where everyone has a place.
    Bendis has left a way out. The kid could still be in space and this teen jon could be from possible future where the kid isn't rescued.

Magic, revealing that aged up Jon is a clone or duplicate or that his backstory was a lie, rescuing Jon from the volcano, etc, etc. There’s always an out.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Bendis has left a way out. The kid could still be in space and this teen Jon could be from possible future where the kid isn't rescued.
    That... actually makes more sense than I expected.

Poor teen Jon though, hopes if we go this path he can find his real parents and they don't make him turn evil or possessive of the current Clois.

That... actually makes more sense than I expected.

Poor teen Jon though, hopes if we go this path he can find his real parents and they don't make him turn evil or possessive of the current Clois.
    Teen jon would literally become future trunks who can go of on to a brighter future with his legion. (i still wish he had a sword and a "better" haircut). They could even give cap off with clark being regretful of not saving a version of the kid. But, still be optimistic regarding the future of the grown up version of the kid he couldn't save.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Bendis outright said he expects and wants creators to "break his toys" after he's left because he doesn't want people just riffing on what he did. It's one of the reasons he aged Jon up in the first place--he didn't want to just repeat the same stuff that Tomasi had done so well. It's also why he left the time period wherein Jon was missing so deliberately vague, so that anyone could bring back the younger Jon at any point they wanted without messing up anything going on in his Legion of the Super Heroes book.

oh well, there's always Young Justice. He popped up as a baby in an episode so there's always a chance they'd do a timeskip later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Bendis outright said he expects and wants creators to "break his toys" after he's left because he doesn't want people just riffing on what he did. It's one of the reasons he aged Jon up in the first place--he didn't want to just repeat the same stuff that Tomasi had done so well. It's also why he left the time period wherein Jon was missing so deliberately vague, so that anyone could bring back the younger Jon at any point they wanted without messing up anything going on in his Legion of the Super Heroes book.
    Can I have a link to where he said that?

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Bendis outright said he expects and wants creators to "break his toys" after he's left because he doesn't want people just riffing on what he did.
    The context of this should probably be taken into account. This was in specific reference to him leaving Marvel totally and how he felt then. But even then, it's only to a degree. The main example being Jessica Jones and the fact that Bendis hand picked Kelly Thompson (as confirmed on word balloon) and her run has been totally about building on what's there. He then pivots the answer to talk about how "blowing stuff up [or "breaking toys"] seemed to be the job over at Marvel" and how their seemed to be an aversion to using other current day creators' stuff. He gives that as his reason for using The Sentry and The Hood in his books, and he explained how happy that made the creators of those characters to hear he was using them when he called them up.

It's also why he left the time period wherein Jon was missing so deliberately vague, so that anyone could bring back the younger Jon at any point they wanted without messing up anything going on in his Legion of the Super Heroes book.
    He's never said or implied any of this anywhere to my knowledge.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 06-09-2020 at 12:16 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I have a feeling once he's gone, the whole Bendis Legion run will be retconned out of existence. This has "temporary gimmick" written all over it.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I have a feeling once he's gone, the whole Bendis Legion run will be retconned out of existence. This has "temporary gimmick" written all over it.
    That’s what happened to Waid, but the Bendis Legion is more diverse in terms of non-white Legionnaires, so we’ll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    That’s what happened to Waid, but the Bendis Legion is more diverse in terms of non-white Legionnaires, so we’ll see.
    I think a racially diverse Legion will probably outlast Sook's redesigns, if I'm being honest.