Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    I hear (or actually read, lol) what you and Seige are saying; however, I respectfully disagree. For me, Cheetah is about to get a moment in the sun quite soon. In Wonder Woman 84, Cheetah/Barbara Ann will be portrayed by a Golden Globe, Emmy, and Screen Actor's Guild nominated actress. Clothing, flip flops, Lego sets, makeup, and Funko Pop merchandising has already been released for the Cheetah character. If Wonder Woman releases in August as planned, I wouldn't be surprised if Cheetah makeup tutorials are hugely popular on Youtube (similar to Harley Quinn and to a much lesser extent Wonder Woman makeup tutorials) for the upcoming Halloween. Cheetah is about to be reintroduced to mainstream audiences in a way that Silver Swan may never get the opportunity.

That being said, I agree with the producers' (or whoever) decision to give a lesser-known character a chance to have the spotlight. We are all bemoaning the lack of Wonder Woman media, so if Silver Swan wasn't introduced in Bloodlines, realistically, when would she get the opportunity to grow an audience?

That being said, while I agree that there are a lot of plotpoints in Bloodlines, and I hated how Drs. Poison and Cyber were killed off at the end; it also seems that that particular universe is rebooting after Apokolips War, so I hope we get to see them in whatever animated movie or series Wonder Woman gets next.
    Don't get me wrong, I agree that Cheetah isn't being short changed overall since she's going to be in the live action movie, which is a far bigger deal. Unfortunately though, she hasn't had much memorable exposure in animated form either. She's usually just a mook, with perhaps the most notable appearances being the campy Superfriends and being voiced by Claudia Black in Doom (forgettable role, great voice!). Lex and Joker get to appear a lot in both cartoons AND films, Joker even got a solo film. Their logic that Cheetah is used a lot doesn't hold up when you look at the quality/impact of her appearances vs. those of her peers. Plus, I'm just biased in that I care FAR more about Barbara Ann than I do about the Kapatelis women, but even with that I'm not thrilled with Julia to be included just to be killed off. I actually think Cheetah should have been left out altogether and they could have given an additional fight scene to Giganta or use a lesser known Wondy foe to fill in for her fight scene (like Zara).

Yeah, I don't understand why they had to use Cheetah at all. Her role was so laughable for the villain; a lesser-used villain like Zara, Osira, or Atomia would've been much better options.

And I feel ya about Silver Swan getting her spotlight, but the execution of the film was just so blah that I'm not sure anyone is going to watch it and think "woah Silver Swan is such a cool character."

Incredible Member

I liked the first animated Wonder Woman film.

And Bloodlines was enjoyable, even if it felt like three or four different films mashed together somewhat incoherently. Bloodlines felt like it should have been the culmination of at least an entire season of an animated series where the multitude of characters had actually been previously introduced.

I think shows like She-Ra and the Princesses of Power, Korra and plenty of others demonstrate that a Wonder Woman animated series which included her supporting cast of friends (e.g. Steve, Etta, Donna, Cassie, Artemis, Ferdinand, etc) and foes would do well IF it was well written and had decent animation.

Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    Really? I completely disagree with this comment. I LOVE Diana in this film. I thought she had a great mixture of confidence, no-nonsense, humor, and even a bit of sass. I also liked how they gave her a realistic amount of vulnerability about not quite fitting into Man's World. My favorite line from the movie is when Diana says that being different isn't rewarded in this world (that's not a direct quote), and Steve responds with, "It is to the right people." To me, that sums of Diana's mission so beautifully, and it explains why she is an icon to not only women but to the LGBT or anyone who is navigating their life outside the "norm" of society.

Peope keep saying Bloodlines didn't sell well, but I think once WW 84 finally releases, we will see a renewed focus on selling the film to audiences. WB did this with the almost decade old first Wonder Woman, and that seemed to do pretty well.
    All it did was confirm what people already think of Diana's personality, she has none. Alone she's stiff, old fashioned and very boring, she was even referred to as a grandmother in the story. That's not what I want for her. Maybe it's me wanting what isn't there, but I'd like her to be youthful, vibrant and more contemporary. I'd like her to have interests outside of superheroing and mentoring. She's so square. Seemingly the only emotions she showed were sadness and regret and Rosario Dawson did her voice like she was Bebe Neuwirth playing Lilith Sternin-Crane talking to Frasier as dryly as possible, but without the clever quips.

Lilith-bebe-neuwirth.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Yeah, I don't understand why they had to use Cheetah at all. Her role was so laughable for the villain; a lesser-used villain like Zara, Osira, or Atomia would've been much better options.

And I feel ya about Silver Swan getting her spotlight, but the execution of the film was just so blah that I'm not sure anyone is going to watch it and think "woah Silver Swan is such a cool character."
    Yeah her arc compressed in that film just makes her come off as an angsty teen whiner for the first portion, and not enough time to care about her when she is turned into a villain. The way Jimenez and Rucka did it was far more effective, because she had a longer history. It's an arc that work better over a couple seasons of a cartoon, not a movie.

How much better would it have been to have Diana and Barbara Ann fight Medusa?! And also, the back of the Blu Day has a special feature labeled "Cheetah: Ferocious Arch Nemesis." Lol false advertising.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    All it did was confirm what people already think of Diana's personality, she has none. Alone she's stiff, old fashioned and very boring, she was even referred to as a grandmother in the story. That's not what I want for her. Maybe it's me wanting what isn't there, but I'd like her to be youthful, vibrant and more contemporary. I'd like her to have interests outside of superheroing and mentoring. She's so square. Seemingly the only emotions she showed were sadness and regret and Rosario Dawson did her voice like she was Bebe Neuwirth playing Lilith Sternin-Crane talking to Frasier as dryly as possible, but without the clever quips.

Lilith-bebe-neuwirth.jpg

Ha HA! You’re killing me with the added photo of Lilith. ��

Bloodlines is a perfect example of be careful what you wish for. People keep bemoaning the lack of use for Diana's non-god rogues but as we saw with the movie, just having them in a story doesn't make it better.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Bloodlines is a perfect example of be careful what you wish for. People keep bemoaning the lack of use for Diana's non-god rogues but as we saw with the movie, just having them in a story doesn't make it better.
    Of all the non-god rogues, Cheetah is the one who doesn’t need as much of a push. She is the one Rogue that everyone knows. So I gotta say, while it was flawed, I enjoyed Bloodlines focusing on Silver Swan.

Cheetah really should've been the mastermind behind Villainy Inc in Bloodlines. I guess with Cale around the writers forgot that Minerva is also cunning and wealthy and has more reasons to be involved with ancient artifacts.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    That doesn't really mean people are gonna stop bemoaning the lack of use though. No fan of any character really stops, because it's pretty much a given that they want to character to be used well.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Cheetah really should've been the mastermind behind Villainy Inc in Bloodlines. I guess with Cale around the writers forgot that Minerva is also cunning and wealthy and has more reasons to be involved with ancient artifacts.
    Ideally, it should have been Cheetah and Cale running the show and maybe scheming against each other.

Cale got short changed a bit too. She didn't really resemble either her pre-Flashpoint or Rebirth selves and her backstory with Cyber was touched upon. Her design and voice were good, but she was kind of flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    Ha HA! You’re killing me with the added photo of Lilith. ��
    lol That was for people who had no idea whom I was talking about.

Watching Bloodlines it was easy to be angry with both Hippolyta and Julia. They weren't horrible Mothers but they weren't winning any awards. It was ooc how much Julia basically ignored Vanessa after Diana arrived and everything she said to her was either an order, a complaint, or a criticism. I didn't feel much love radiating from Hippolyta either and neither were typical of mother daughter relationships in Wonder Woman, though they're known to be complicated.

Diana sort of dropped the ball too when dealing with Vanessa, she could have done more. We didn't get the bonding that happened between them in Perez. There wasn't a period where Vanessa wore bracelets like her idol and shared her angst over school and Barry and really became friends with Diana. It was all resentment all the time and ineffectual reaching out, but there was a nice turn around in the end.

Just remember: Arthur Curry is already getting his own HBOmax 3-part animated miniseries by director James Wan in 2021, which will pick up right where his 2018 movie left off and bridge the gap for 2022's AQUAMAN 2 (not to mention THE TRENCH as a horror spin-off).

Seems like even the Aquaverse is getting more support than the Wonderverse these days

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

DC's lack of WW push after a successful movie has always been baffling. She's consistently tied to some type of superhero team. Batman/Superman have various animated films and part of live action shows...let WW live! Why cant she get her own animated series after all this time?

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    DC's lack of WW push after a successful movie has always been baffling. She's consistently tied to some type of superhero team. Batman/Superman have various animated films and part of live action shows...let WW live! Why cant she get her own animated series after all this time?
    It's possible that they're worried that the source material doesn't have enough quality to support an animated series (obviously I don't agree). After all, both animated movies weren't exactly beloved.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    It's possible that they're worried that the source material doesn't have enough quality to support an animated series (obviously I don't agree). After all, both animated movies weren't exactly beloved.
    I thought the 1st one got plenty of good reviews??? And not as if Harley Quinn follows source material lol. If we can get a Harley Quinn, Young Justice series that are pretty original in their storytellings, there's is no reason for WW to get hers.