Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Nightcrawler #5 Review and Summary (&spoilers)

Summary:

It starts out with Kurt's nostalgia getting to him. He's dwelling on what he's lost rather than what he has until he's given a little advice from an old friend who appears with the sunrise. That helps to start changing his frame of mind.

Later, he's getting ready for his first day on the new job, as a member of the JGS staff. There's a cute series of scenes with the bamfs and some inner monologue on his attitude going into it -- what the school hopes to achieve and what he wants to achieve himself.

Ce-ce recommends that he observe first, before figuring out which of his skills might best contribute, so he's alongside Rachel for the work day. They have a danger room session with some of the new mutants and discuss exactly what they're trying to accomplish with the training.

Later, Kurt is working on the homecoming gift he received from Ororo -- their old Blackbird jet. He's finishing up with repairs, clearly pleased with his new toy and planning to take it on a test drive when Rico, the young bug-like mutant, shows up to help, having avoided curfew. Kurt invites him along for the test run.

Switch to the Crimson PIrates ransacking a pub in Maryland. They're after a young mutant girl named Ziggy Karst. She's a key mutant for the future, or so it appears.

Kurt and Rico have some teacher/student bonding time and discuss what life is like being so very different, even from other mutants. Kurt talks about trying to keep in mind that the difficulties he's gone through might help the next young mutant in some way and that it will continue with Rico blazing the trail for those who come after him. Storm interrupts over the radio with a mission assignment for Kurt. A new mutant signal has been discovered and she wants him to check it out.

Appearing in this issue: Jean Grey (the real deal), Rachel Grey, Beast, Cecelia, Mercury, Armor, Storm, Rico, and cameos of various other students.

Review:

This issue was a solid improvement from the first arc, in my opinion. Finally, Nightcrawler is starting to deal with his new life and going forward, rather than backwards. He's also been given some good supporting cast.
    It was low on the action this time, with the bulk of the story being devoted to development and set up for the new arc. Rachel does manage to get a nice dig in at Emma.

There was a playful nod to his history with Rachel in this issue and the inclusion of Jean makes me wonder if part of what's come with Kurt's resurrection is the ability to see spirits. It might prove interesting, if so.

Claremont writes some well-done young mutants, so that was a welcome element, as well. I hope we'll see them developed more going forward. It at least appears that Rico is in the upcoming arc and whoever Ziggy ends up being.

The only flaws were minimal and basically tied up with mentions of the first arc. Just as the Amanda thing felt contrived and forced, so does his acceptance and c'est la vie attitude towards it.

I give it a 4.7 out of 5 this time.

Last edited by Sundowhn; 08-13-2014 at 11:34 AM.

BANNED

Interesting tidbit with jean.

I, for one, welcome our new generation of Claremazons:

This was a refreshingly old-school romp, and easily my favourite issue this week. I had almost forgotten X-books could be this much fun.

BANNED

I loved the bittersweet flashbacks. However, I have to say there's something genuinely depressing about playing baseball by yourself(Bamfs don't count).

Fantastic Member

Claremont does like Rachel showing her Jean worship doesn't he.

I appreciate the Danger Room scenario callback to UXM #450, the last run that Claremont got to have fun with Kurt, as well as a reminder that Kurt used to be the Blackbird mechanic.

Perhaps it's partly so that when we see Kurt's emotional outbursts (which would ordinarily seem out of character), we know that it's not the author forgetting Kurt's history, but letting us know that he's changed. Or just a reminder that unlike many recent authors, Claremont remembers what Kurt as an enjoyable character.
    Last edited by Tobinator; 08-13-2014 at 01:38 PM.

This was a great issue and Claremont hit all the right notes. I am curious to see what his detractors will say about the Crimson Pirates return. I, for one, am glad to see them back and am looking forward to a long run on this book.

Loved the issue! 5/5.

I really liked the issue, the flashbacks and all. The whole book had a sentimental feel to it - the baseball game (how sad...), the training session, the old uniforms, the pairing with Rachel... I liked everything BUT the pirates. Seeing them again, I feel like it's too much repetition. I've had enough of pirates, we've just had a similar story in Amazing. This is a feel good book for (us) CC fans.

The Crimson Pirates? Jeezus. If you're going to use some cheesy ass Claremont nostalgia bounty hunters, go full-on with Technet, man.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

BANNED

I'm glad that it was Claremont who they let resurrect Jean.

Quote Originally Posted by IdaqiBeauty View Post
    I'm glad that it was Claremont who they let resurrect Jean.
    She isn't dead. And if Jean was real, shouldn't she be wearing the White Phoenix costume instead of the green one ?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Narasinha View Post
    She isn't dead. And if Jean was real, shouldn't she be wearing the White Phoenix costume instead of the green one ?
    She's dead. White Hot Room = Hell

what's this all about Jean being back? Lol @ claremont using her. And i need to pick this issue asap then

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Grey View Post
    what's this all about Jean being back? Lol @ claremont using her. And i need to pick this issue asap then
    She tells Nightcrawler to watch his tone when speaking to the Bamfs.