Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Astonishing Member

Default Was GI Joe originally set in the Marvel Universe?

I was watching this YT video about UK's Action Force and at 3:15 Iron Fist, Batroc and Elektra and Shang-Chi at 4:10 are mentioned.

I doubt it. Even though of course Larry Hama's abandoned/unused "SHIELD" updated pitch was used to create many of the original Joe characters.

Nope gijoe is in the transformers comic universe. The uk version action force is in another universe as well with transformers. Death head and dr who spent time there also.

With that said both worlds does have a version of spider-man, circuit breaker, fantastic four, nick fury and dum dum, godzilla, savage lands, alien outfit, roxxon, and the real ghostbusters!

Also note the cartoon gijoe and transformers are in the same cartoon world as well.

Note that gijoe also has in it's universes--street fighter 2, rocky, the fridge, sgt slaughter, street hawk (yes they made a street hawk gijoe!), and matt tracker from mask as members.

Last edited by Gaastra; 06-03-2020 at 01:01 PM.

Incredible Member

Well if ALF takes place in the Marvel Universe I don't see why GI Joe couldn't.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

The soldier Agent Anderson calls “Sergeant” in The Amazing Spider-Man #268 (September, 1985) was apparently meant to be Sergeant Conrad "Duke" Hauser.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    The soldier Agent Anderson calls “Sergeant” in The Amazing Spider-Man #268 (September, 1985) was apparently meant to be Sergeant Conrad "Duke" Hauser.

...He definitely looks like Duke. If they had colored his shirt tanner it would have been more obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Nope gijoe is in the transformers comic universe. The uk version action force is in another universe as well with transformers. Death head and dr who spent time there also.

With that said both worlds does have a version of spider-man, circuit breaker, fantastic four, nick fury and dum dum, godzilla, savage lands, alien outfit, roxxon, and the real ghostbusters!

Also note the cartoon gijoe and transformers are in the same cartoon world as well.

Note that gijoe also has in it's universes--street fighter 2, rocky, the fridge, sgt slaughter, street hawk (yes they made a street hawk gijoe!), and matt tracker from mask as members.

WRONG!
    The Marvel US The Transformers was originally set in the Marvel Universe with Spider-Man guest starring in #3 and Shockwave and the Dinobots were buried in the Savage Land, Circuit Breaker and Death's Head were created in other Marvel series so Marvel could get copyright of them. Even though the series would seriously downplay these connections later in the series, that didn't stop Simon Furman from unleashing the Neo-Knights who were a group of mutants superheroes later in the series as well, and since G.I. Joe Meets The Transformers mini-series was set in the same universe as that I would say G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero was set in the Marvel Universe.

Until The Transformers: Generation 2 came out and with the ending to that series and pretty much the whole series and it's lead up in G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero was where both series severed all ties with the Marvel Universe somehow.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    I've been binge-watching the GI Joe: RAH videos that Hasbro put out and reading articles lately, and there are cross-references to Marvel in Joe (Zartan joked to Duke "Were you expecting Spider-Man?" in one episode.)
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Those aren't the only Spidey refrences in G.I. Joe.

In one episode, for a couple of seconds, you can see the Joes watching Spider-man on TV.

And Jameson makes a quick cameo in one issue of G.I. Joe.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    I've been binge-watching the GI Joe: RAH videos that Hasbro put out and reading articles lately, and there are cross-references to Marvel in Joe (Zartan joked to Duke "Were you expecting Spider-Man?" in one episode.)
    IKR Ravin' Ray, and the continuing LiveStreaming They are doing is Great, Really Brings Back my childhood of some of My 1st Favorite Heroes(The Joes!), Villains (COBRA! ) & even 1st Crushes (Lady J! ).

"By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

I just found a three-year old thread in the message board of the G.I. Joe website Hisstank.com:

http://www.hisstank.com/forum/g-i-jo...man-cameo.html

A couple of posts down, and the talk is whether G.I Joe, Transformers are all part of the MU.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    The Transformers, G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero, Jem and the Holograms, Robotix, The Inhumanoids, Bigfoot, and several other shows were co-produced by Marvel Productions and Sunbow. So it makes sense that some of the writers including Marv Wolfman, Gerry Conway, Martin Pasko, and others were also comic book writers as well. The shows also had connections between them a sleazy Gerldo style journalist, an in-universe soap opera comedy called As The Kitchen Sinks, and Cobra Commander guest-starred in on an episode of The Transformers season 3 "Only Human" and many believe that Marisa Fairbone a recurring character in season 3 of The Transformers was Flint's daughter.

Hasbroverse is--

Gijoe (sunbow series)
    Gijoe the movie
    Gijoe (dic series)
    Gijoe The greatest evil prime time special
    Sgt savage and his screaming eagles dtv special (classic joes show up to pass the torch to the extreme joes)
    Gijoe extreme

Transformers
    Transformers the movie

(note japan shows like headmasters and zone are not canon with the hasbroverse)

beast wars
    beast machines
    mask (not at first then later added to the hasbroverse)
    vor-tech (mask spin-off)
    3rd mask spin-off thats so lesser know i don't care to look it up.
    cops
    inhumaniods
    jem

All have ties with each other. Cold slither song from gijoe in both jem and transformers, inhumanoids on the news in jem, one of the cops hero is tied to ace from gjoe, dino bot island in gijoe, etc.

Also note spider-man does cameo on a tv in gijoe but fans are not sure if it was news or a show they were watching. So the 80s solo spider-man (plus hulk and spider-woman) may or may not be canon.

and many believe that Marisa Fairbone a recurring character in season 3 of The Transformers was Flint's daughter.

Yes and a copy of flint shows up in the episode the killing jar.