Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23
  1. #1
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,062

    Default Was GI Joe originally set in the Marvel Universe?

    I was watching this YT video about UK's Action Force and at 3:15 Iron Fist, Batroc and Elektra and Shang-Chi at 4:10 are mentioned.

  2. #2

    Default

    I doubt it. Even though of course Larry Hama's abandoned/unused "SHIELD" updated pitch was used to create many of the original Joe characters.

  3. #3
    Astonishing Member Gaastra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,648

    Default

    Nope gijoe is in the transformers comic universe. The uk version action force is in another universe as well with transformers. Death head and dr who spent time there also.

    With that said both worlds does have a version of spider-man, circuit breaker, fantastic four, nick fury and dum dum, godzilla, savage lands, alien outfit, roxxon, and the real ghostbusters!

    Also note the cartoon gijoe and transformers are in the same cartoon world as well.

    Note that gijoe also has in it's universes--street fighter 2, rocky, the fridge, sgt slaughter, street hawk (yes they made a street hawk gijoe!), and matt tracker from mask as members.

    Last edited by Gaastra; 06-03-2020 at 01:01 PM.

  4. #4
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    613

    Default

    Well if ALF takes place in the Marvel Universe I don't see why GI Joe couldn't.

  5. #5
    Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    2,622

    Default

    The soldier Agent Anderson calls “Sergeant” in The Amazing Spider-Man #268 (September, 1985) was apparently meant to be Sergeant Conrad "Duke" Hauser.


  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Nope gijoe is in the transformers comic universe. The uk version action force is in another universe as well with transformers. Death head and dr who spent time there also.

    With that said both worlds does have a version of spider-man, circuit breaker, fantastic four, nick fury and dum dum, godzilla, savage lands, alien outfit, roxxon, and the real ghostbusters!

    Also note the cartoon gijoe and transformers are in the same cartoon world as well.

    Note that gijoe also has in it's universes--street fighter 2, rocky, the fridge, sgt slaughter, street hawk (yes they made a street hawk gijoe!), and matt tracker from mask as members.

    WRONG!
    The Marvel US The Transformers was originally set in the Marvel Universe with Spider-Man guest starring in #3 and Shockwave and the Dinobots were buried in the Savage Land, Circuit Breaker and Death's Head were created in other Marvel series so Marvel could get copyright of them. Even though the series would seriously downplay these connections later in the series, that didn't stop Simon Furman from unleashing the Neo-Knights who were a group of mutants superheroes later in the series as well, and since G.I. Joe Meets The Transformers mini-series was set in the same universe as that I would say G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero was set in the Marvel Universe.

    Until The Transformers: Generation 2 came out and with the ending to that series and pretty much the whole series and it's lead up in G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero was where both series severed all ties with the Marvel Universe somehow.

  7. #7
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    52,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    The soldier Agent Anderson calls “Sergeant” in The Amazing Spider-Man #268 (September, 1985) was apparently meant to be Sergeant Conrad "Duke" Hauser.

    ...He definitely looks like Duke. If they had colored his shirt tanner it would have been more obvious.

  8. #8
    Keeper of the Torch Ravin' Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live
    Posts
    6,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    With that said both worlds does have a version of spider-man, circuit breaker, fantastic four, nick fury and dum dum, godzilla, savage lands, alien outfit, roxxon, and the real ghostbusters!
    I've been binge-watching the GI Joe: RAH videos that Hasbro put out and reading articles lately, and there are cross-references to Marvel in Joe (Zartan joked to Duke "Were you expecting Spider-Man?" in one episode.)
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

  9. #9
    Better than YOU! Alan2099's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,959

    Default

    Those aren't the only Spidey refrences in G.I. Joe.

    In one episode, for a couple of seconds, you can see the Joes watching Spider-man on TV.




    And Jameson makes a quick cameo in one issue of G.I. Joe.

  10. #10
    Wanda & Ribrianne~4~Life! CJStriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    10,002

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    I've been binge-watching the GI Joe: RAH videos that Hasbro put out and reading articles lately, and there are cross-references to Marvel in Joe (Zartan joked to Duke "Were you expecting Spider-Man?" in one episode.)
    IKR Ravin' Ray, and the continuing LiveStreaming They are doing is Great, Really Brings Back my childhood of some of My 1st Favorite Heroes(The Joes!), Villains (COBRA! ) & even 1st Crushes (Lady J! ).


    Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”

    ~~ Brianne De Chateau ~ Episode 102, of Dragon Ball Super!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyHGXMH6HB0
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread!

  11. #11
    Keeper of the Torch Ravin' Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live
    Posts
    6,318

    Default

    I just found a three-year old thread in the message board of the G.I. Joe website Hisstank.com:

    http://www.hisstank.com/forum/g-i-jo...man-cameo.html

    A couple of posts down, and the talk is whether G.I Joe, Transformers are all part of the MU.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

  12. #12
    Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    2,622

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    I just found a three-year old thread in the message board of the G.I. Joe website Hisstank.com:

    http://www.hisstank.com/forum/g-i-jo...man-cameo.html

    A couple of posts down, and the talk is whether G.I Joe, Transformers are all part of the MU.
    Spider-Man appears in Transformers #3 (January, 1985), but it later came to the revelation that this Spider-Man was apart of Earth-91274 as opposed to Earth-616: https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Peter..._(Earth-91274)

    Transformers #64’s letters page also stated that they take place in separate universes:

    Last edited by Electricmastro; 06-03-2020 at 11:27 PM.

  13. #13
    Astonishing Member Gaastra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,648

    Default

    WRONG!
    The Marvel US The Transformers was originally set in the Marvel Universe with Spider-Man guest starring in #3 and Shockwave and the Dinobots were buried in the Savage Land, Circuit Breaker and Death's Head were created in other Marvel series so Marvel could get copyright of them. Even though the series would seriously downplay these connections later in the series, that didn't stop Simon Furman from unleashing the Neo-Knights who were a group of mutants superheroes later in the series as well, and since G.I. Joe Meets The Transformers mini-series was set in the same universe as that I would say G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero was set in the Marvel Universe.

    Until The Transformers: Generation 2 came out and with the ending to that series and pretty much the whole series and it's lead up in G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero was where both series severed all ties with the Marvel Universe somehow.
    Yes i know but they changed their minds in the end making them another reality. Most fans think it was around issue 20 of transformers or so.

    Another neat nod is the rich guy helping the autobots early on and with ties to circuit breaker was going to be tony stark! It was changed last second but you still could tell it was ment to be him.

    With that said i don't see why marvel can't put transformers and gijoe in the main universe. They have shogun warriors, red ronin, godzilla, mothra and yes alf so what harm would these two books do? Nothing in them changes marvel history at all so i don't see the harm. You could even say gijoe was a shield spin-off.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 06-04-2020 at 06:16 AM.

  14. #14
    Keeper of the Torch Ravin' Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live
    Posts
    6,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    With that said i don't see why marvel can't put transformers and gijoe in the main universe. They have shogun warriors, red ronin, godzilla, mothra and yes alf so what harm would these two books do? Nothing in them changes marvel history at all so i don't see the harm. You could even say gijoe was a shield spin-off.
    That solved the question of having two internationally-reaching defensive groups exist in the same Earth, so how would they divide their duties?

    As for the Transformers, a pity that Galactus and Unicron have never met in any crossover in any media!
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

  15. #15
    Astonishing Member Gaastra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,648

    Default

    Shield would go after hydra and aim. Sword would go after aliens. Gijoe would go after cobra.

    Also note in the uk comics they had the autobots set up a super hero like team on earth called "earthforce" that could be called by humans in case of a decepticons attack. They even had a headquarters! The stories were more lighthearted but had the transformers as more or less a hero team that humans could call for help!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •