Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Why do people say Zack Snyder doesn't respect comics?

Even if you think he is a bad director or writer he clearly does respect comics and uses a ton of imagery in his movies. If the MCU can be praised for respecting comics when they mock the characters idk how Zack doesn't respect comics

BANNED

Never heard many people down Snyder or say he doesn’t respect comics.

Some don't like his interpretation of the characters he uses. But other than that I've never seen anyone say he dislikes comics as a medium or on the whole.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

Astonishing Member

I definitely think dude respects comics.

I just think he really respects the Frank Miller ouvre and that's not what I want to see get translated to film as the "main DCCU series". Like, what he's translated so far is from the 80s. And pretty much only from the 80s. Unless you count Shaggy Aquaman which is from the early 90s.

I'd be more than happy with the Frank Miller style stuff being made into movies that aren't the main thing.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, I think his respect for comics is known, it’s just that his taste is somewhat off-putting to people.

I think MOS was a genuinely good Superman movie in part because he lucked into having David Goyer have a good day when writing the script made plot for the story; Goyer’s more inconsistent than I’d like, and he’s definitely got a few weaknesses, but I think he added a more solid and straightforward framework to Snyder’s own vision, which I think seems more likely to wander and meander non-commitally. BvS can’t quite figure out exactly what it wants to do with its two main characters, and it and JL were pretty bloated and sprawling when they arguably required more focus to best exploit a larger cast in both cases.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Incredible Member

well i have and even made a reddit post. some people were saying he respects comics while others were saying he didn’t and when i presses them on other issues like how marvel mocks superheroes like antman and the guardians he said they were jsut jokes

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I think he has a clear love for comics and is making the movies he wants to make. It's just that the comics he prefers and the interpretations he puts out there don't land with everyone and are not suited to broad mass market appeal. They'd be better suited for smaller experimental projects.

Extraordinary Member

This explains it about Snyder and DC Comics:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IIfxrpWEDLc

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

I despise Man of Steel and BVS (Justice League is just...oy) but I would never argue that Snyder doesn't have loads of love and respect for comics. Too much, perhaps, if Watchmen is any indication, which displayed a real love for the source but, frankly, a lack of understanding what made it great.

Which is even more true when it comes to Superman. The dude doesn't understand Superman in even the tiniest, smallest, most minuscule amount. Like, seriously. I've never seen someone write such a significant take on Superman who understands the character less than Zack Snyder. Or, alternatively, he does understand Superman and then went out of his way to make his Superman as unlike Superman as possible, which means that he may love and respect comics in general but not Superman.

Either way, all of this is besides the point. Snyder was an awful choice right from the beginning because he's well, just not a very good filmmaker. No, let me rephrase. He's a "good" director in that his films do tend to look impressive (if you like that whole muted colour palet that he relies on so much, anyway) and he does have a distinctive style but his films tend to be vacuous and/ or badly told almost without fail. I mean, have you seen Sucker Punch? Good lord.

Sorry Snyder fans, I'm glad to see the back of him and DC's films will be all the better for it.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

I could see that argument being made. When I see Batman gunning people down... my first thought is NOT 'This guy knows and respects comics.' His superman reads as a character that he wants to change and 'fix'... rather than a character that he loves and wants to bring to life.

I don't know much about Snyder... but if people made that claim, i could see where they got it from.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    Either way, all of this is besides the point. Snyder was an awful choice right from the beginning because he's well, just not a very good filmmaker. No, let me rephrase. He's a "good" director in that his films do tend to look impressive (if you like that whole muted colour palet that he relies on so much, anyway) and he does have a distinctive style but his films tend to be vacuous and/ or badly told almost without fail. I mean, have you seen Sucker Punch? Good lord.
    Honestly.... ever since Watchmen I REALLY REALLY wanted to see him do a Batman movie. I was super excited when i found out he was doing BvS. I hated his Superman... but i REALLY wanted to see him do Batman.

Just those stylized fights in Watchmen were glorious to watch. The Slow-mo that suddenly speeds up when the blows hit.... the way you can actually see the super sweet 'superhero-moves' that Night Owl and SS did in the alley and the jail break... THAT is what I wanted a Batman movie to look like. I was sick to death of the stiff mechanical fighting in a rubber suit that we got from Burton and Schumaker... and the shakey cam wiggling in a horde of goons and Batman in shadows that Nolan did... It's disgusting that best the fight scenes we ever had filmed with Batman was still Adam West. They over design the suits and then can't film a cool fight scene.

And yeah... even with the guns and killing involved... That Batman warehouse fight scene was pretty amazing to watch. Everything else about the movies make me think that Snyder was a bad choice that i regret... but I was pretty excited to hear he was attached at the time

Incredible Member

I despise Man of Steel and BVS (Justice League is just...oy) but I would never argue that Snyder doesn't have loads of love and respect for comics. Too much, perhaps, if Watchmen is any indication, which displayed a real love for the source but, frankly, a lack of understanding what made it great.

Which is even more true when it comes to Superman. The dude doesn't understand Superman in even the tiniest, smallest, most minuscule amount. Like, seriously. I've never seen someone write such a significant take on Superman who understands the character less than Zack Snyder. Or, alternatively, he does understand Superman and then went out of his way to make his Superman as unlike Superman as possible, which means that he may love and respect comics in general but not Superman.

Sorry Snyder fans, I'm glad to see the back of him and DC's films will be all the better for it.
    How exactly does he not understand Superman? He understands him more than the Feige understands the Guardians, Ant Man and even Spider-man

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi2001 View Post
    How exactly does he not understand Superman? He understands him more than the Feige understands the Guardians, Ant Man and even Spider-man
    Nobody knew or cared about the Guardians and Ant Man specifically before their films, and the films did a good job of making the general audience care about them. They don't care about faithfulness to the comics in that case. I'm not fond of MCU Spider-Man (though I like Holland) but it captures what makes the already beloved character appealing and throws "teenage Avengers fanboys the kids can automatically relate to" onto it.

That's not the case with Superman, he's the grandaddy of superheroes. We literally do not have the genre as we know it today without him, and he's been a pop culture juggernaut since the 40s. It's kind of unreasonable to think that people wouldn't bring pre-conceived notions into the theater for him and Batman, especially as the movie is banking on that recognition for its success. Some of Snyder's decisions do have precedent in the source material, but that doesn't mean as much to the GA: most of them don't read comics and don't care about any of that stuff. A dark deconstruction of Superman right out of the gate when people haven't had much time to learn to care about this version, along with jamming in a feud with a murderous Batman, working in his death at the hands of Doomsday, establishing a key antagonist in Lex, setting up Fourth World stuff, introducing Wonder Woman and setting up the JL all in just the second movie in a franchise is too goddamn much.

Because there's more to DC comics than Frank Miller and Darkseid.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

I've never heard anyone say Zack Snyder doesn't respect comic books.

I have, however, heard people say they don't respect Snyder's interpretation or vision of/for comic book adaptations.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

People in general don't understand superman. They have a pigeonholed idea of what superman is,that they think is the character. Objectively snyder movies have used vast swaths of comics to make superman origin right from superman #1 second origin by siegel and shuster. Personally, don't like the pop culture perpetuated perception/idea of superman as naive boyscout farmboy or sun god savior who is bland and boring.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 06-03-2020 at 09:50 PM.