Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
Nobody knew or cared about the Guardians and Ant Man specifically before their films, and the films did a good job of making the general audience care about them.
I hate to break it to you but the same can be said for most superheroes. I mean movies and television influenced a lot of things about the characters. Superman originally couldnt fly but the cartoon wanted to save money so they made him fly, Superman 78 introduce the S being the family crest of El, the 50s Batman serial introduced the Bat's Cave and of course probably the most recent and famous example Harley Quinn being introduced in the Batman animated series. I am fine with change and I am glad Guardians and Ant Man are getting some attention but I don't see the benefit in making them so goofy and ridiculous and even mocking the properties. It is fine to have humor but do we need everyone reminding us how noone knows who these guys are? And tbh I don't get how Guardians is even 'too ridiculous to adapt' mentality when Star Wars exists. Remove the Marvel logo and pitch this to an average movie fan they'd probably say it sounds really cool. And no I don't think a talking raccoon or tree is too strange when Chewie is one of the most famous movie characters and is literally space Sasquatch. Admittedly I don't know much about Lang Ant Man but in a world with Captain America being a serious hero despite being a literal bygone WW2 propaganda character who uses the world's deadliest Frisbee why is Ant Man such a strange and silly name and why is controlling billions of insects seen as silly?

They don't care about faithfulness to the comics in that case. I'm not fond of MCU Spider-Man (though I like Holland) but it captures what makes the already beloved character appealing and throws "teenage Avengers fanboys the kids can automatically relate to" onto it.
You can have room for creative liberty but the Guardians are completely opposites to their comic counterparts for example. But even then there are dozens of versions of a character and you just cant please everyone. For example in TASM people complained Andrew Garfield wasn't nerdy enough to be Peter Parker or that someone as attractive as him wouldn't be a loner but ironically enough the early Lee-Ditko Amazing Spiderman was more like that. First off with all due respect to Ditko, Peter never looked like a teen. On top of that Peter was more aloof. He was actually invited by Flash for a party but Peter rejected it because he didn't like Flash's arrogance. And if Peter having a skateboard is too cool or hipster early Peter gets a motorcycle. Now obvious the character of Peter Parker eventually was changed and modernized to be more of a stereotypical nerd especially in the 1610 earth continuity but there will be someone who thinks that isnt their Spider-Man. My biggest issue with the MCU Spider-Man is how weak he comes off, the whole "I'm nothing without my suit" theme and how he doesn't get serious consequence in Homecoming and in FFH the consequence comes from something out of his control or perception. If they made Mysterio more gray and not so perfect before the twist it'd have been interesting for Peter to decide whether or not to give Beck the glasses but given how perfect Beck acted what reason is there not to give him Edith?

That's not the case with Superman, he's the grandaddy of superheroes. We literally do not have the genre as we know it today without him, and he's been a pop culture juggernaut since the 40s. It's kind of unreasonable to think that people wouldn't bring pre-conceived notions into the theater for him and Batman, especially as the movie is banking on that recognition for its success. Some of Snyder's decisions do have precedent in the source material, but that doesn't mean as much to the GA: most of them don't read comics and don't care about any of that stuff. A dark deconstruction of Superman right out of the gate when people haven't had much time to learn to care about this version, along with jamming in a feud with a murderous Batman, working in his death at the hands of Doomsday, establishing a key antagonist in Lex, setting up Fourth World stuff, introducing Wonder Woman and setting up the JL all in just the second movie in a franchise is too goddamn much.
That still doesn't explain what exactly Snyder missed with the character in at least Man of Steel. And I also don't see how MoS or even BvS are deconstructions of Superman. Regardless you can't please everyone, some people thought Superman Returns was boring and banked too much on copying the Reeves movies. And again there is a difference between changing certain things and completely throwing the baby with the bathwater while mocking said baby. Like if in the Matt Reeves Batman movie do you think it would go over well if Gordon asked Batman who he was and after answering him Gordon just goes "Who?" And mind you it isn't impossible to have a character mention the absurdities of characters but the context needs to fit. Like in Batman Begins I feel there was at least one scene where Gordon or someone mentions how ridiculous a bat vigilante is but given the context is a realistic world where heroes don't exist it makes sense. In Guardians the guy who questioned who star lord was was called Korath the Pursuer and his boss was Ronin the Accuser why is the name Star Lord strange to him? And again to Scott Lang who idolizes Captain America why is Ant Man a silly name and power? This would work if Ant Man was the second or third movie in the MCU but at this point Lang has witnessed killer robots and norse gods. Plus it just feels way too on the nose