Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I think it’s time Stewart got a chance headlining a book. Mark Russel has pitched a 12 issues series of John going planet to planet each issue solving problems with a co-lead GL who would be his romantic interest. I would like to see that, basically John getting his own “The Green Lantern” treatment.

For Hal I would give him a turn on the Justice League with the rest and let that be where he shows up. Actually I wouldn’t mind seeing Hal and Jessica being on the JL, since I think they could have an interesting dynamic.

Finally I’d have a GLC book with Guy, Kyle, and Simon. This would be your standard fare cosmic adventures, with Simon as the audience standin who could be filled in on the different Lantern Corps if any of them show up.
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I want the franchise to reach the heights of the geoff johns days again, and by that, I mean at least 3 GL spinoff books again. Why did DC go from 4 books in the new 52 to 2 in Rebirth to just this Morrison GL book?
    Yeah the fall off post Johns has been intense, but part of that is I don’t know if DC really has anyone with a strong pitch on where to go with the Lanterns besides Morrison. Sales might also play a factor, the Rebirth books sold on but not great.
    Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    There's no excuse John can't get a solo comic anymore. I don't want to hear any more arguments on this. If Marvel can give every Spidey character a solo title and have them go on for multiple years then DC can exactly do the same.

As for the whole GL franchise, I have no idea. I am, however, tired of the main alien characters getting shoved in the back. Arisia, Kilowag, Iolande, Salaak, and Ganthet have contributed greatly that they should always be in the main group of a GL cast. The human only focus is boring.
    To be fair, only Peter and Miles really sell well these days, and Spider-Man is on a whole ‘nother tier compared to GL, but it’s long past time for John Stewart to get another shot.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, but how frequently? And even you point out they're more likely to sell as mini-series then full on ongoings, which I'm not sure how viable that is in the long-term...and would people be happy with that for solo's with the Earth Lanterns?

Isn't it as simple as the other books didn't sell as well? I don't think all of DC's marketing decisions are based around wanting people to just buy Hal Jordan books.
    If the books lasted more than 6 issues-it had support.

Jessica and Simon had a book for 50 issues and at times be it trade or floppy outperformed the Hal Jordan book (yes I know it was call Hal & GLC-but the artist said otherwise). One of the complaints on that book was-they did not want to read about Hal. Yet Dc took that underperformance and blamed the others. Since aside from John and Kyle-Simon has done what?

Other than Hal fans-how happy are the other fans?

If they want this to be the Hal Jordan franchise-get rid of everybody esle and ACCEPT all the justifed backlash for it.

All those other fans did thier job to support those repsective Lanterns. Yet have been shown it didn't matter.

Because if all Dc is going to do is take and listen to Hal Jordan pitches-everybody else needs to go. Plain and simple.

Fans did not mess up this franchise.

Nobody asked for more to show up and alienate even more folks.

Kyle held this franchise for 10 years.
    John was DOA and a tv show bought him back up
    Jessica is in a successful line
    Guy was the GL for an era of JLA.

That should MEAN something.

How much more of marvel's trash has to find success before DC gets it? Green Lantern is a police force not Hal or John or Guy or SImon worship. Why is this such an odd concept for DC to NOT get? You can't keep burying who you don't like for pets.

Especially if Dc is trying to move from the direct market. Hal is an icon-isn't going to work with the public. Antman is not an icon but he has 2 and soon to be 3 movies unlike Hal. GOTG was a collection of trash and is looking at 3 movies. GL is stuck at one.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    For Hal I would give him a turn on the Justice League with the rest and let that be where he shows up. Actually I wouldn’t mind seeing Hal and Jessica being on the JL, since I think they could have an interesting dynamic.
    I know Hal fans want to see him on the League again for longer then five minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

Jessica and Simon had a book for 50 issues and at times be it trade or floppy outperformed the Hal Jordan book (yes I know it was call Hal & GLC-but the artist said otherwise). One of the complaints on that book was-they did not want to read about Hal. Yet Dc took that underperformance and blamed the others. Since aside from John and Kyle-Simon has done what?
    Green Lanterns was supposed to be the "lead" book in some regards, even if Hal N Pals was more plot relevant, since it came out first in my opinion. I think it was supposed to be more accessible then it's counterpart with the other four Earth Lanterns.

I don't think DC blamed the under performance on anyone.
    Other than Hal fans-how happy are the other fans?

If they want this to be the Hal Jordan franchise-get rid of everybody esle and ACCEPT all the justifed backlash for it.
    Obviously not happy, aside from maybe Jessica fans, but Hal being the lead of the franchise doesn't need to prevent anything with the other GL's, and I agree DC should do more with them.
    That should MEAN something.

How much more of marvel's trash has to find success before DC gets it? Green Lantern is a police force not Hal or John or Guy or SImon worship. Why is this such an odd concept for DC to NOT get? You can't keep burying who you don't like for pets.

Especially if Dc is trying to move from the direct market. Hal is an icon-isn't going to work with the public. Antman is not an icon but he has 2 and soon to be 3 movies unlike Hal. GOTG was a collection of trash and is looking at 3 movies. GL is stuck at one.
    I don't disagree but "trash?" Isn't that a bit too harsh?

I mean, if you want to get technical there are three GL films, two animated and one live-action. I don't think the movies should be used as the be all and end all of popularity even if the companies treat them that way.

If someone pitches it, now could be the time for a John solo again. A series about a black lawman might be relevant in these times. (and it's in space, so there's the safety of sci-fi allegories)

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    I mean you joke but reframing their work as disaster relief would be feasible
    It wasn't entirely a joke - more a humorous way to ask "If not that, what then?"

Disaster relief would be cool, but ultimately the bread and butter of the superhero genre is fight scenes against villains, and that's easier to pull off with the cop angle more than the emergency responder angle. Not impossible, but easier.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

Would you please stop repeating this nagging nonsense over and over again in every GL-related thread? HJGLC is not a Hal Jordan book. As a Hal Jordan fan, I HATE it with all my heart. All Venditti did was making Hal John’s henchman and keep praising how great John and Kyle is. Hal only appeared in a few panels in many issues. Here’s my complaint, I don’t want to read about how great other lanterns are while Hal was portrayed as a brainless idiot. Does what EVS said matters to the editorial office? He also said AT&T will close DC soon, do you also trust that? Buy a book. Read it with your eyes. Stop using your imagination as your argument. Stop embarrassing yourself and other GL fans.
    Last edited by HAN9000; 06-06-2020 at 09:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    It wasn't entirely a joke - more a humorous way to ask "If not that, what then?"

Disaster relief would be cool, but ultimately the bread and butter of the superhero genre is fight scenes against villains, and that's easier to pull off with the cop angle more than the emergency responder angle. Not impossible, but easier.
    I always prefer the term "cosmic saviors" to describe the GLC - which means saving entire planets - whether it be from a natural disaster or a cosmic baddie.

I absolutely love the idea of a John Stewart book going to other planets and dealing with complex problems. They need to include a arc where they resurrect KATMA TUI. Or Hawkgirl since I was a cartoon network kid.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I always prefer the term "cosmic saviors" to describe the GLC - which means saving entire planets - whether it be from a natural disaster or a cosmic baddie.
    Eh, I've come to dislike the word savior/saviors, always used these days as a negative like savior complex and crap. Only time I ever hear it used positively and sincerely is in church (don't go near as often as I should, a bit lax I am [read too lazy]). Too much sarcasm and disdain usually with the word these days. Shame, but is what it is.

But the idea/concept is valid.

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I absolutely love the idea of a John Stewart book going to other planets and dealing with complex problems. They need to include a arc where they resurrect KATMA TUI. Or Hawkgirl since I was a cartoon network kid.
    I'd prefer if he and Fatality hooked back up, not as a star sapphire this time. I like the idea of pairing John up with a badass black alien femme fatale who can be out there doing their own thing when they aren't around. I don't think resurrecting Katma is the move personally, and Snyder has disillusioned me to hooking John up with Hawkgirl; alhough I definitely would be down for John and Kendra if they could make it make sense.if we're dealing out resurrections tho, we need to just go ahead and resurrect Xanshi and put that to bed for good if we're doing anything with John.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

BANNED

I don't like the idea of Green Lanterns as beat cops, and I don't like how Geoff Johns portrayed or handled the Corps. He got rid of/didn't incorporate a lot of mystique that the Green Lantern Corps had beforehand. Well, I guess he tried incorporating mystique in his own way with colorful spirit animals and whatnot that hide inside Central Power Batteries, but that didn't work for me either.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    I don't like the idea of Green Lanterns as beat cops, and I don't like how Geoff Johns portrayed or handled the Corps. He got rid of/didn't incorporate a lot of mystique that the Green Lantern Corps had beforehand. Well, I guess he tried incorporating mystique in his own way with colorful spirit animals and whatnot that hide inside Central Power Batteries, but that didn't work for me either.
    I mean, he emphasized certain police aspects but I don't think the GLC was handled all that differently from how they were depicted prior to Johns. They were always a cosmic police force.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I considered making Kyle the White Lantern again but I wanted to keep them all on relatively even footing. John is a Guardian but that speaks more to character progression rather than a power thing seeing as pretty much every earth Lantern as pulled off "guardian-level" feats (for lack of a better term). I feel like making Kyle the White Lantern again would put him on a cosmic pedestal above the other Lanterns that i feel would take away from character. As a Blue he keeps the emotional/spiritual connection of being white Lantern and, seeing as he's attuned to all colors, it wouldn't be a stretch for him to be able to do with the blue light that Blue Lanterns usually can't.
    Hmm. To be sure, Kyle's own journey did go through a lot of character progression of his own. It can be easy for some to downplay this (particularly non-fans and those who prefer some Lanterns and not others), but Kyle was a pretty big deal for a significant length of time. And said progression that led to his White Latern ascension and status was, in my eyes, an earned one.

That said, I can and do see what you mean by wanting to keep the Earth-based Lanterns in-focus on relatively equal footing for the sake of balance in the story and the individual characters' narratives, so one doesn't end up having more intrinsic "narrative clout" than the other. This is what I would want, too, since it'll be harder to say Earth-Lantern Ensemble book and then turn around and carry it out fairly otherwise.

Just trying to give dues to Kyle that seemed to have been stripped and ignored, since I can understand the downplaying of feats and progressions of character, especially one who's a legacy character in some facet or is new. After all, not many probably remember Simon's unique positions, and how he, in many ways, is a cross between Yellow (more emphatically, and this is a point of defiance for the character), Red (similar, but with more weight attached), Blue and Green (which represent who he truly is and what he's truly capable of) all his own. (Baz also has White Lantern potential.)

That, and at the moment I wrote that, I was vividly recalling the sense of disappointment and frustration over the respective demotions of Kyle and Sam all over again all at once.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

With DC's recent moves to refocus towards less continuity-heavy stuff like the YA stuff, I suspect the future of the GL franchise will be digital comics that will eventually be collected in trades. This could lead to more experimentation with one-shots and miniseries to see what there's an audience for.

If this is indeed the case, I suspect that Jessica will do very well, along with Hal and, hopefully, John.

I think JLU digital comics continuing the animated continuity would find an eager audience.

First we have to realize that the three most popular, most marketable Green Lanterns are Hal Jordan, John Stewart and Jessica Cruz. Those three would be given the priority and finding them a home book would be the ultimate goal. The other Lanterns would just pop up here and there to lend a helping hand to those three. I know that may upset Kyle fans (and to a lesser extent Guy and Simon fans) but that’s just how it is!

Justice League- John Stewart would remain the GL rep (why fix what’s not broken right?)

Green Lantern- Hal Jordan would lead his own book (maybe Simon, Guy and Kyle could occasionally pop up here)

Green Lanterns - Jessica Cruz would lead this book with a support cast of the alien Lanterns

If Titans were to get a relaunch then you can put Kyle amongst the starting lineup, and play up his Latino heritage!

Problem solved! Can’t please everyone but I feel the majority of the GL fans would be satisfied with this happening
    Last edited by Samm; 06-07-2020 at 08:14 AM.