Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Default Where would you like the GL franchise to go once Morrison & Sharp are done?

Currently, DC is juggling a lot of different GLs of Earth right now, so it's pretty much guaranteed that more than one is going to end up getting the short end of the stick. Right now, it's Kyle, Simon, and Guy.

I understand why DC wanted to give Morrison the space to do his own thing without having to work around whatever forgettable events they were peddling this month, but now that the end is almost in sight for The Green Lantern Season Two, what do you think should be done with the franchise?

Personally, I think a GLCorps team book anchored by a trio of Earth GLs, but filled out by the greatly underserved alien GLs would be a very welcome idea. I think Kyle & Guy make a great combo, plus pairing Simon with them would force writers to flesh him out beyond what we've seen thus far. I think Guy and Simon check too many of the same boxes, so it'd be interesting to see how these two are bouncing off each other.

I haven't finished Far Sector yet, but, from what I've read so far, that book seems better suited to its own neighborhood. If the sales justify it, I would give that book another mini so that the art team can remain consistent as that's been one of the main draws of that book.

I think John Stewart has tended to work best in Justice League, at least in the cartoon, but the comics have failed to do much of anything interesting with him outside of Venditti's brief run (and, even then, he's been stuck in the soldier barking orders role). I think the core members of Supes, Bats, WW, Flash & GL should remain with an ever rotating roster of old and new members, but whoever takes over the book next needs to remember to not let the Trinity dominate everything. There's already plenty of that already in the DCU right now. However, that all depends on the next creative team.

I dropped Justice League Odyssey very quickly, so I don't have any idea how well Jessica has been treated there, but I wouldn't object to her being swapped out for John as the League's primary GL as long as John was also being given something meaty to do. Jessica is a great character with a growing fanbase thanks to DC Super Hero Girls. It would not be a bad idea to try and capitalize on that in the flagship JL book.

Teen Lantern is doing just fine in Young Justice, so I don't think she needs to go anywhere, unless it's a one-shot or guest appearances in the other GL books to flesh her out more. She hasn't gotten enough to do yet. Young Justice is a crowded book.

I've been banging this drum for a while now, but I would love to see a Hal/John GL book set on Earth and Sector 2814. I think these two have a really interesting history together which could make for a potentially great comic. There's so much stuff to explore there and, frankly, John needs to have his Earth life fleshed out so much more. Both of these characters have been through so much together, and are so wildly different from one another, a good creative team could do wonderful things here. Plus, these two are arguably the most popular GLs that DC has, along with Jessica. Stick them together and see what happens.

What would you do?
    Last edited by Bored at 3:00AM; 06-03-2020 at 09:48 PM.

Mighty Member

Well first thing is first. I would like to see Hal in the JLA, as I'm tired of seeing him sidelined from the team. The Green Lantern on the cover of GL, should be the Green Lantern in the Justice League. You do not see a replacement Superman, Batman or to my knowledge Aquaman being substituted in the JLA.

As for the Green Lantern comic, I would still like to see Hal as the lead, but sharing the storyline more with John, Guy, or Kyle, or another Green Lantern comic that features them.

BANNED

If I was doing it, I wouldn't put up a pretense like all the Earth Green Lanterns have a place in my restructured franchise and that I'd find a place for every one of them, because that would be a lie.

I would probably have Hal Jordan in Green Lantern, and then have another book starring John Stewart that also features Kilowog, Salaak, Arisia, and maybe a few other aliens. I would also have Guy in the book, but it wouldn't be a buddy cop. The book would star John Stewart. I don't know if I would call the title Green Lantern Corps.

As for the other Earth Green Lanterns *shrug*. I would likely ignore them or perhaps kill some of them.

Personally, I would keep John Stewart as the League's lantern and let him be the lead character in The Green Lantern Corps. John works best as a team player. I would also finish the story on why John has a tattoo ring in the Green Lantern Corps book. Guy would be guest starring in some stories in Green Lantern Corps. I wouldn't mind having him there.

And Hal Jordan would be in the Green Lantern book

BANNED

I would really love to have a Kyle and Hal book something that hasn't been done yet(and because they have great dynamic) while the others....don't really care.

I'd leave Hal to anchor the Green Lantern title for sure and I'd put him in the Justice League book as well. I'd put John in a GLC book as the lead feature but wouldn't partner him with anyone specific, making it a team book that has varying members working with John. I'd also resurrect "Tales of the Green Lantern Corps" as a backup feature with a longer range plan to make it it's own anthology series if it proves popular enough. That would give Kyle, Guy, and the alien GL's a couple of places they could be used. I'd ignore the rest unless I was allowed to get rid of them.
    Visit The Blog of Oa for Green Lantern News, Reviews, Podcasts and more

Personally I’d like to see more of what’s going on with the Sinestro Corps, last we saw them in Justice League Soranik was still leading them and having them help out the Green Lanterns fix the Source Wall and Sinestro has left to be Ultra Violet. I would like to see where that plot point is going to see if they are they allies, enemies, or what have you.

I’d also like to see how recent cosmic changes have effected the operation of the Green Lantern corps, I mean in the pages of Superman the Green Lanterns, the Red Lanterns, and other cosmic cultures formed the United Planets. I’m assuming that means that the Green Lanterns have to play to different rules and work with people they may not have worked with before.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

This is reminding me of how Star Trek started trying to find different things for each show so that they could essentially stay out of each others' way - one was the "main" show, one was on that station, one was on the other side of the galaxy and one was in the past. But that's neither here nor there. Anyway....

-- I'd put Hal in the Justice League and make that his main title. Usually, you can't have important stories with any of the main heroes since that happens in their own book. But make the JL Hal's book. Keep Superman, Flash and Wonder Woman and bring in Dinah and Ollie.(and one or two others) Ditch Batman because I'm tired of the "GL's and Batman don't get along" dynamic. Let him be a leader on the team and not be a screw-up. Give him character development there, explore interpersonal dynamics between all the members and let Hal have something status quo shifting, whatever it is. Obviously nothing lasts forever and I'd want Hal back in a solo afterwards, but have an era of JL be this. (DC would obviously never go for this, but a fan can dream...)

-- Make "The Green Lantern" about everyone else. No solo title. BIG space operatic stories where the GLC are more galactic saviors than "beat cops." Rotating cast of human and alien members, but the core group being John, Jessica, Kilowog and Arisia.

-- Have a "Yellow Lanterns" book (better title perhaps) with Soranik and Kyle somehow. But it'd be more about what Venditti started - Soranik trying to change the Sinestro Corps for the better, but on her own terms this time and Kyle finds a way to let him help her. (maybe she feels bad about branding him and remembers she's not a total whacko) Guy can show up here sometimes.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 06-04-2020 at 05:54 AM.

To me Simon and Jessica are the not needed lanterns.

Grant Morrison & Liam Sharp are doing a great job, they should continue on season 3.

I think the Lantern univers is too big. To simplify stuff, there should only by one big monthly with short chapters about each part of the Lantern univers. And maybe see different parts or follow different lantern on each issue.

Morrison’s brought Hal back to earth in his second season, but i’d want that further explored, in a subsequent arc.
    Have Hal earthbound for some reason.
    The man’s been a cosmic hobo for ages, he has no real earth ties that aren’t other heroes. Have him adopt a city and build a supporting cast, even if/especially if, it’s not what he wants.
    Meanwhile you’d have a GL in the JLA and the Corps in space, dealing w. a menace that’ll eventually come to earth looking for Hal.

This is what I'd definitely like to see:

• Hal as the star of a relaunched Green Lantern book, alternating between space and Earth-bound stories.
    • John Stewart be the lead in a new Green Lanterns Corps book dealing almost exclusively with space adventures & interstellar politics (y'know, alien stuff).
    • Have Guy Gardner become the Green Lantern for Justice League.
    • Kyle team up with Green Arrow in a new book.

I wouldn't mind Jessica and Simon joining John in his book, but I don't want to see them eventually taking over the book because they get writers that want to write them more than they do John.

Another thing is that I don't want to see is event crossovers between Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps every three or four months. Occasional guest-appearances and name-dropping is fine, but I'd like to see these books tell their own stories without being interrupted by constant crossovers.
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1

Quote Originally Posted by Cel View Post
    This is what I'd definitely like to see:

• Hal as the star of a relaunched Green Lantern book, alternating between space and Earth-bound stories.
    • John Stewart be the lead in a new Green Lanterns Corps book dealing almost exclusively with space adventures & interstellar politics (y'know, alien stuff).
    • Have Guy Gardner become the Green Lantern for Justice League.
    • Kyle team up with Green Arrow in a new book.

I wouldn't mind Jessica and Simon joining John in his book, but I don't want to see them eventually taking over the book because they get writers that want to write them more than they do John.

Another thing is that I don't want to see is event crossovers between Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps every three or four months. Occasional guest-appearances and name-dropping is fine, but I'd like to see these books tell their own stories without being interrupted by constant crossovers.
    To me GL are "space" police.
    They shouldn't intervene on planets unless it's a threat comming from outer-space.
    GL Earth adventures are boring and irrelevent to the title !

And no you can't split up the GL corps and each single GL, they are part of the same corps !

Why the need to relaunch Hal again ??

Make it an anthology title. Use the "Giants" formula and have multiple stories with different GLs. There are a ton of GLs and it would give a lot of them more of a spotlight. I'd easily pay a few bucks more a month for a anthology-sized book with multiple GLs.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    GL Earth adventures are boring and irrelevent to the title !
    Gotta disagree on that one.

"The Green Lantern" title becomes an anthology book of the various GLs of stories ranging from done-in-ones to six-issue arcs. Would probably be anchored by the human GLs.

As for the GL on the Justice League, my interest in the JL has rather significantly dropped over the past year so I can't really care over who reps for the title there. Maybe have them swap out a GL every arc or so of Justice League. Stewart one arc, than Jessica, Hal, etc, etc.