Default Spider-Man Talent at the Eisners 2020

Chip Zdarsky came away with the strongest showing, nominated for 3 categories including "Best Writer" for his work on Daredevil, Spider-Man: Life Story, White Trees, and Afterlift.
    Dave Stewart got a nomination for "Best Coloring" for his work on Spider-Man
    Clayton Cowles got a nomination for "Best Lettering" for his work on Superior Spider-Man, Ghost-Spider, and Venom

Congratulations to everyone involved!

BANNED

Zdarsky feels like Marvel's MVP since his stuff was the major superhero stuff from Marvel that got nominated. Mostly for his Daredevil run.

And glad that Life Story got a citation.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Zdarsky feels like Marvel's MVP since his stuff was the major superhero stuff from Marvel that got nominated. Mostly for his Daredevil run.

And glad that Life Story got a citation.
    He really is! His "Daredevil" run is sublime! Isn't this his second nomination for a Spider-Man work? They need to give him another secondary series stat!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    He really is! His "Daredevil" run is sublime! Isn't this his second nomination for a Spider-Man work? They need to give him another secondary series stat!
    He got nominated in one of the Best Writer categories which includes Life Story among other stuff he wrote, so that makes it different from the Spectacular Finale issue he wrote (and drew) which was for an actual superhero comic issue. He's one of Marvel's best (and most prolific) writers certainly and it would be great to have him back in Spidey again.

I don't know if he'd want to do another Spider-Man second series. He was fairly reluctant about relaunching Spectacular and had to be convinced to do it. Zdarsky said that while Spider-Man is one of his favorite characters, Daredevil was always his favorite comic title and he likes the fact that Daredevil rarely ties into Marvel events or team books. So it might take a while before he comes back and if he does it might be ASM proper that tempts him. Unless of course he heads to DC instead. Life Story kind of had an air of him doing a "last word" on Spider-Man.

I don't know if he'd want to do another Spider-Man second series. He was fairly reluctant about relaunching Spectacular and had to be convinced to do it. Zdarsky said that while Spider-Man is one of his favorite characters, Daredevil was always his favorite comic title and he likes the fact that Daredevil rarely ties into Marvel events or team books. So it might take a while before he comes back and if he does it might be ASM proper that tempts him. Unless of course he heads to DC instead. Life Story kind of had an air of him doing a "last word" on Spider-Man.
    Yeah, I think Zdarsky said everything he had to say about Spider-Man in Life Story. He will probably be much more remembered for that then his Spec run in my opinion.

He got nominated in one of the Best Writer categories which includes Life Story among other stuff he wrote, so that makes it different from the Spectacular Finale issue he wrote (and drew) which was for an actual superhero comic issue. He's one of Marvel's best (and most prolific) writers certainly and it would be great to have him back in Spidey again.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, I think Zdarsky said everything he had to say about Spider-Man in Life Story. He will probably be much more remembered for that then his Spec run in my opinion.
    Most definitely his Life Story series was a masterpiece (I just got it in trade - so excited!) and if that was his last word then what a word it was. I could definitely see him staying on DD a long time (he'll already be on that title for more issues than PPSSM), but I would love to see him work on ASM proper after Spencer is done (which probably won't be for a long time, but I'm good with that!)

Smile

I just want to say Zdarsky and Ewing are my favorite current comic book writers bar none, that is all.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I just want to say Zdarsky and Ewing are my favorite current comic book writers bar none, that is all.
    Well said!

BANNED

Both are up there for me. As is Spencer and Gerry Duggan.

Biggest of all is Hickman. I don't know if he's been nominated for Eisner before, but I am disappointed that Hickman's groundbreaking HoX/PoX and the incredible X-Men #4 (2019) didn't get nominated for best series and best single issues respectively.

Seriously the biggest Marvel comic of 2020 and the most discussed, ruminated, analysed run on any ongoing and part of a major launch and sales success not to mention being discussed and appropriated by many activists across-the-board, didn't get nominated in any of the superhero categories?

I am happy that Cantwell's run on Doctor Doom got nominated though. That's a really good series.

Both are up there for me. As is Spencer and Gerry Duggan.

Biggest of all is Hickman. I don't know if he's been nominated for Eisner before, but I am disappointed that Hickman's groundbreaking HoX/PoX and the incredible X-Men #4 (2019) didn't get nominated for best series and best single issues respectively.

Seriously the biggest Marvel comic of 2020 and the most discussed, ruminated, analysed run on any ongoing and part of a major launch and sales success not to mention being discussed and appropriated by many activists across-the-board, didn't get nominated in any of the superhero categories?

I am happy that Cantwell's run on Doctor Doom got nominated though. That's a really good series.
    I think it may be because HoX/PoX and Dawn of X are so tied together that it's hard to judge: if you nominate the former, which titles do you nominate for the latter? I don't know, but I'm thinking that could be what led to it's not getting nominated. But I agree, it should have. Just don't know which category it would go in.

I guess thinking out loud, Hickman himself could have been nominated for Best Writer, and HoX/PoX and X-Men would've been why.
    Last edited by WebSlingWonder; 06-04-2020 at 05:50 PM.

HoX/PoX and Dawn of X should indeed be nominated (in some fashion). It/they comprise a new groundbreaking approach to the X-Men mythos which has breathed renewed life into the franchise following years of dormancy.

Last edited by Celgress; 06-05-2020 at 08:37 AM.

HoX/PoX and Dawn of X should indeed be nominated (in some fashion). It/they comprise a new groundbreaking approach to the X-Men mythos which has breathed renewed life into the franchise following years of dormancy.

Maybe the Eisner judges didn't like it? Lol I have no clue why it's not nominated.

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Maybe the Eisner judges didn't like it? Lol I have no clue why it's not nominated.
    Maybe you're right, hee hee.

Me either, alas what are you going to do?