Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Idea: Bring back the Marvel Premiere title as a "try-out" anthology

In my relaunch topic, there was a lot of controversy of the "soft-reboot" thing due to DC and political BS due to the toxic political era we're in, that I feel completely undermined what I was going for. But I think I did come up with many good ideas that would've shined brighter if not for those factors, and one of those was Marvel Premiere.

It was an old series that was meant to see if a character or concept could attract enough interest to greenlight them to series. I think this would be useful way to engage with audiences. Use this title to come up with something new, and I do mean new, not lazy legacies or Safespace and Snowflake, but actually new and exciting superheroes that experiment with the genre and add something fresh to the universe. If there's enough interest, greenlight these characters to their own ongoing, and further integrate them into the Marvel Universe.

This way, the characters can build a following, and you can introduce new ideas in a safer way. If something doesn't quite fit, and it doesn't connect, there won't be any damage done. But here, you can see new characters and ideas, gauge the interest, and pursue further if positive. I would dedicate 2-3 issues per new hero or idea, and after 12 you can make a big trade showcasing all the new ideas in a single book.

This is one of the things Marvel could do to actually engage with the paying customers, after being so out of touch that they seriously thought we wanted... this...

I'd like think the nuclear-level backlash to New New Warriors and the economic collapse due to COVID that killed the direct market will force Marvel, or someone above Marvel who has power over them, to completely rethink their business strategy going forward. I just hasn't worked and to act like it's fine is complete denial of basic fact. Word is that New New Warriors and COTA might have been quietly cancelled, which would be a start, but much more needs to be done if they want to fix this mess, reboot or no.

I think testing the waters for legitimately new ideas would be a great way to try to do business. Just a thought. At the very least, it wouldn't hurt to try.

Ultimate Member

In theory that wouldn't be a bad idea, but I don't think it work in today's industry, at least not the way that Marvel and DC did it in the Silver and Bronze Ages. For one thing, Marvel/DC think the fans simply won't support an anthology unless there's a unifying theme or character to bring them back each issue. The other thing is writers/artists are less likely to create endless new characters under those old work for hire rules.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    In theory that wouldn't be a bad idea, but I don't think it work in today's industry, at least not the way that Marvel and DC did it in the Silver and Bronze Ages. For one thing, Marvel/DC think the fans simply won't support an anthology unless there's a unifying theme or character to bring them back each issue. The other thing is writers/artists are less likely to create endless new characters under those old work for hire rules.
    That's another thing to consider, they'll have to give talented creators an incentive to take part in this, likely of royalties or some bonus. It does partially explain why comics have stagnated since the '80s due to the rise of independent comics becoming massive in their own right, and them wanting to use their ideas for that. If they have a reason to take the plunge, I think they'd do it.

And also, as for Marvel/DC thinking we won't support it... this is a time to take risks for a reward, not to play it safe, because the stakes are very high in the post-COVID world and anything to bring people in is a good to try at least.

I always thought it would be an interesting idea to give hot writers their own title and let them write about whatever they wanted. If they wanted to write a 6 part Ka-Zar story, they could. If they then wanted top write a Spider-Man/Sleepwalker team-up they could do that next.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Yeah. Life is different today. I can see the title Marvel Premiere being used for assorted tryout miniseries, all starting with a new number one. Marvel's doing this with their new Marvel Tales book, each issue a new number one focusing on a different character. But there's also the creating new characters with work for hire guidelines as well as the current need to use any kind of a story to fill a five or six issue trade.

Wtf. That New Warriors book isn't even out yet, so you're basically judging the book because of the inclusion of new POC characters. How sad for you.
    And anthology books are frequent low sellers. A Marvel Premiere one-shot likely wouldn't do any better than a mini devoted to the same concept.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Wtf. That New Warriors book isn't even out yet, so you're basically judging the book because of the inclusion of new POC characters. How sad for you.
    And anthology books are frequent low sellers. A Marvel Premiere one-shot likely wouldn't do any better than a mini devoted to the same concept.
    THIS

The idea is not bad but you gotta get comic book stores willing to stock a book with a different lead each month. DC tried that and it was the greatest gymnastic routine on the plent to not support that book.

Along with fans trying to support the book especially if you are trying new talent.

As we have seen if that talent is not a certain deomographic-they face push back before issue one. With cries of diversity hires-when most of those folks NEVER bring up their race or sexuality. If they did-WHO CARES?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Yeah. Life is different today. I can see the title Marvel Premiere being used for assorted tryout miniseries, all starting with a new number one. Marvel's doing this with their new Marvel Tales book, each issue a new number one focusing on a different character. But there's also the creating new characters with work for hire guidelines as well as the current need to use any kind of a story to fill a five or six issue trade.
    That makes sense to me. Use "Marvel Premiere" or "Marvel Presents" as a branding thing, but it's really one shots and short minis. Keep them on the cheap side and no story last longer than three issues. If people think it's going to be 5 or 6 issues they'll trade wait and that might not give you the results want as far as how a character might fare monthly.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    You can tell when something is **** the moment you see it dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    No, that's what reading is for. You know you actually have to read comics to know if they're good or bad?
    Unless you're prejudiced about certain kinds of representation, which is the only reason the little we've seen about that book would generate as much hate and nonsensical comments

And you can tell you have an unnecessary grudge against a book you haven't even read when you see it. It's one thing to start a thread with an admittedly good topic - it's another thing entirely to make said thread then proceed to bash a totally unrelated book. It makes you look incredibly petty and uncouth.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Fair.
    More fairly, I wouldn't let the people round here police your tone about it really either, your oppinon isn't beyond the pale or anything... its just unpopular here. I mean thousands of people weighed in with you when it was previewed and it wasn't just lambasted by youtube trolls either. This time they missed the mark. No biggee calling it out as an example of what not to do.

As we have seen if that talent is not a certain deomographic-they face push back before issue one.
    Foh. hahaha The guy writting that New Warriors book they're talking about
    was white as driven snow and I don't think that the dem you're referencing. honestly first, playa.

Anywya I'd like Marvel comic presents back myself.

That being said... I was reading a lot of wolverine at that time and he, spidey, and he hulk pulled that cart quite a bit.

So this:
    the fans simply won't support an anthology unless there's a unifying theme or character to bring them back each issue. The other thing is writers/artists are less likely to create endless new characters under those old work for hire rules.
    I really feel that way, but you know.... if marvel put out a shonen jump style book: B/W, giantsized, inexpensive paper....

Featuring 3 B-popularity characters or teams you might get some traction if you find a talented team of writers.

for example I think marvel tries to do this with "dumping ground" books but most of us know the "Secret Defenders" when we see them ala strikeforce. I'm not knocking that book but you have a team that Has:
    Blade
    Daimon Hellstrom
    Spectrum
    Spider-Woman
    Wiccan
    Winter Soldier
    So you got fans of Blade and fans of Winter Soilder reading a book with angela from spawn and wiccan ... slightly bigger fan bases exposed to smaller fan bases.

I don't buy that book very much ... I want to read about Blade alone or no more than a duo... but there are books that other people want and characters that aren't being used galore.

So.... Marvel Comics Presents: Blade/Inhumans(or Nu-humans ymmv)/Spider-woman and the winter solider

And I'd pick it up for blade then eventually read the other 2 as well. The GOAL is that after about 8 issues you can rotate on title on the roster and Idk move blade over to guesting in the SW-WS book (strikeforce beginigs)
    and give a new solo to Angela or Daimon hellstrom or whoever. But also... Quicksilver, Black Knight, Cloak&Dagger, the eternals and all the other interesting marvel characters that can't carry a solo but could use exposure.

The price point is the thing along with writing in my book.
    Last edited by Midnight_v; 06-04-2020 at 06:08 PM.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Come on, man. You haven't even addressed any of the recent replies in the last thread.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    THIS

The idea is not bad but you gotta get comic book stores willing to stock a book with a different lead each month. DC tried that and it was the greatest gymnastic routine on the plent to not support that book.
    Yeah, if anthologies sold well, wouldn't DC be publishing Showcase? Several of their silver age heroes debuted in that series - most notably, the Barry Allen Flash.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Um.. shenanigans and derailment aside. . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, if anthologies sold well, wouldn't DC be publishing Showcase? Several of their silver age heroes debuted in that series - most notably, the Barry Allen Flash.
    Well thats what we're talking about that maybe they SHOULD be trying that and recently in the controversial opinions over on dc that very thing popped up.

Thing is it needs to be a "cheap" book carried by good writing, like the pulp books of old. It essentially selling someone 1 story and then packaging it with to advertisements for characters/artists./writers you want exposed.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.