View Poll Results: Who do you want to win All Stars 5?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alexis Mateo

1 16.67%
  • Blair St. Clair

0 0%
  • Derrick Barry

0 0%
  • India Ferrah

0 0%
  • Jujubee

4 66.67%
  • Mariah Balenciaga

0 0%
  • Mayhem Miller

0 0%
  • Miz Cracker

0 0%
  • Ongina

0 0%
  • Shea Couleé

1 16.67%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Talking RuPaul's DRAG RACE [All Stars 5]

RuPaul's DRAG RACE
    [ALL STARS 5]

A new All Stars season is upon us... and All Star Rules... Have... Been... Suspended. FOREVER!!! According to the trailer, the top All Star of the Week will lip sync for her legacy against a Lip Sync Assassin from a previous season; if the All Star wins the lip sync, she’ll get the power to eliminate a fellow queen, if the Assassin wins, the eliminated queen will be determined after a majority vote by the rest of the contestants, and the $10,000 tip rolls over to further episodes, until an All Star queen wins a lip sync. GAG!!! Welcome to All Stars...

Let us discuss, post reviews, fan art! OH MY GOD FAN ART! I love the fan art! Anything and everything. Obviously this is very focused on All Stars, but post any drag race love, if you want (queens coming to your local clubs, new songs out, etc). But... please let's none of us attack the queens. Criticize them, yes, but let's remember it's drag! It's silly. It's fun. And while a queen can come off as "talentless" ON THE SHOW, that doesn't mean they aren't a fierrrrrrce queen in "the other real world" (as my teacher once said).

ART BY CHEYNE

REGARDING SPOILERS!
    Please, please use spoiler tags! I think if we all wait till Monday to stop using them, that should be fine
    [as any die hard drag race fan would have seen the show by Monday, or avoided all on-line media, so they won't see it regardless]

BRING BACK MY ALL STARS
    Jujubee. READING. High. W. High. Bttm5 (high). Bttm4 (high). Bttm3 (high).
    Miz Cracker. High. "Top Toot" (ep.1). W. WINS LIPSYNC. Bttm5 (low). W.. W. WINS LIPSYNC.
    Shea Couleé. "Top Toot" (entrance look). W. WINS LIPSYNC. "Top Toot" (ep.2). Bttm3. "Top Toot" (ep.3). "Top Toot" (ep.4). W. WINS LIPSYNC.. Bttm4 (high). Bttm3 (low).

Blair St. Claire. READING. High. WINNING TEAM. Bttm5 (low). "Top Toot" (ep.5). Bttm4 (low). ELIMINATED
    Alexis Matteo. High. Low. Bttm5 (high). "Top Toot" (ep.6). ELIMINATED
    India Ferrah. W. Bttm3. Bttm3. Bttm2. ELIMINATED
    Mayhem Miller. Bttm2. WINNING TEAM. ELIMINATED
    Mariah Balenciaga. Bttm3. ELIMINATED
    Ongina. Low. ELIMINATED
    Derrick Berry. ELIMINATED

Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 07-20-2020 at 01:59 PM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

FASHION PHOTO RuVIEW [All Stars 5 Entrance Looks]
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

I was wondering/hoping you were gonna start this thread!

I already picked who I would like to win, and since I could only pick one, I went with a queen I've always liked, JujuBee. However, I will be equally as happy if Ongina wins

It just occurred to me, because of Cheyne's art I added on the OP post, it is season 1,2 & 3 vs season 8, 9 & 10. I was going to do a "Toot or Boot" of their promo looks until I realised that it's a collage made for it, it's not an actual promo (Shea is in her season 9 finale look vs Sasha; and Derrick's face is edited on that body). So instead lets discuss... LIPSYNC ASSASSINS!!!

Interestingly, the first true lipsync assassin was Jujubee. Others I'd be shocked to not have:
    - Peppermint. We literally have the phrase lipsync assassin BECAUSE OF PEPPERMINT! (thanks to Shea, fun fact)
    - Kameron Michaels. He survived 4 lipsyncs (though that last one was more Asia's butterfly massacre that clinched the win)
    - Coco Montrese. The first b*tch to ever survive 3 lipsyncs, because she assassinated them! Even taking out Alyssa Edwards
    - Sasha Velour. I mean... SHE TOOK OUT SHEA! She took out Shea! She. Took. Out. Shea. By delivering the greatest lipsync on the show ever. AND... she took out Peppermint. Only one person has assassinated the original lipsync assassin, and that was Sasha Velour.
    - Latrice Royale. Give her Gospel, give her soul, and ain't no-one taking her down. Her record is 5 out of 6 in her lipsyncs, having only ever lost to Chad Michaels in season 4. That's VERY impressive.
    - Yvie Oddly. She won all 3 of her lipsyncs in season 11, and after that EPIC battle against Brooke, Ru said "we got a couple of lipsync assassins on our hands. No-one is safe."
    - Alaska. She won all 3 lipsyncs in All Stars

OTHER UNDERRATED ASSASSINS
    - Roxxy Andrews. We've only seen her lipsync twice, and both times it was... FANTASTIC! And she won both times.
    - Darienne Lake. She was a great lipsyncer. She got to Top4 on this skill alone.
    - Naomi Smalls. Is a fantastic lipsyncer, she's done it 3 times, and won. Every. Single. Time. She is currently undefeated.
    - Bebe took out Ongina. Bebe won her season. Bebe slayyyyyyed every lipsync she's ever been given.
    - Diedre Ritz. She was SO GOOD at lipsyncing. I'd love to see her back.
    - Nina Bonina Brown. She was a great lipsyncer, and had she not lost her drive, she'd have probably beaten Shea too.

Quote Originally Posted by CellarDweller View Post
    I was wondering/hoping you were gonna start this thread!

I already picked who I would like to win, and since I could only pick one, I went with a queen I've always liked, JujuBee. However, I will be equally as happy if Ongina wins
    I only let you pick one, because Ru should only pick one, because All Stars 4 tie SUCKED!
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 06-06-2020 at 04:55 AM.

Now let's look at our queens records on lipsyncing, to see who has the best chance to take out an assassin...

LIPSYNC ASSASSINS
    5 for 5. Jujubee. HAS. WON. EVERY. LIPSYNC!. Let that sink in. I don't think any other queens has a better track record on lipsyncs than Jujubee. She has given us some iconic lipsyncs, including all the feels against Raven in AS1
    3 of 4. Alexis Matteo. In her season she sent home all of #TeamTalent (Stacey, Shangela and Yara) in a lipsync; only losing in All Stars 1 against Raven.

A GOOD CHANCE
    1(2) of 2(3). Mayhem Miller. Did a fantastic job in her lipsync in season 10 against Yuhae, but lost to Monet X Change. BUT her lipsync in Christmas Queens was fabulous!
    1 of 2 Derrick Berry. She beat Robber Turner and lost to Bob the Drag Queen
    1 of 2. Shea Couleé. She... wasn't great. She beat Nina, BUT Nina wasn't trying. And Shea didn't do a great job in either lipsync, she just did a decent job. That won't take out an assassin.

LITTLE CHANCE
    1 of 2. India Ferrah... well... yes she won a lipsync, but she was picked up in the now infamous "drag is NOT a contact sport". Then lost to Stacey.
    0 of 1. Miz Cracker lost to Kameron Michaels. She did a decent job.
    0 of 1. Ongina. She lost in an epic lipsync to Bebe.

NO CHANCE
    0 of 1. Blair St. Claire. Lost to Vixen, and didn't do a great job.
    0 of 1. Mariah Balenciaga. She didn't know her words. Watermelon. Watermelon.

RuVIEW
    EPISODE I
    It's here! It's here, it's here, it's here. A new season of All Stars is here! This is the best of the best, Ru's legendary children. Well... Ru's legendary children plus 3 filler b*tches (#shade). Not since AS2 have we had a truly LEGENDARY cast; and this season is sadly no exception. I mean is anyone REALLY holding out hope Blair could win? Or Derrick? Or India? REALLY? This is really a 5 horse race, and if I was a betting man, I think 3 of the finale 4 are pretty locked in. But Aja surprised us in AS3, and Monet got a crown... so maybe the weaker queens can surprise us. I doubt it. Let the Hunger Games... BEGIN!!!

ENTRANCE LOOKS
    This is not your first impression, that happened in your original season... this is instead a chance to RuDeem. A chance to burst in and remind the audience that you left a fierce queen, and you returned more polished, more fabulous and with even more C.U.N.T. than ever before. Well... apparently some didn't get that memo #shade
    TOOT
    Blair St. Claire. Blair lived in the 20s/30s first time round; now she's evolved into the 80s with this beautiful over-indulgent shoulder and cut waist. I loved the lining for the sleeve. It's less about wowing us, and more about showing us her evolution as a queen from when we last saw her, and I appreciate that. It was a good choice.
    India Ferrah. She needed to make it clear she is here for RuDemption. AND I LOVED IT! It was sooooo drag. Dame drag. She still has her breastplate, which made me chuckle, but it's finally done right. This looked EXPENSIVE! And she needed to start with a bang, to stand any chance of gaining momentum. The sheer legs, the exaggerated Edwardian sleeves and pairing mint green fabric with silver jewellery. GORGEOUS! Though poor thing, can she not just have one entrance where another queen isn't doing a similar look? BWAHAHAHA!
    Jujubee. Could she have done more? YES. Did she still look amazing, even scaled back? YES. Is she arguably THE ONLY B*TCH of this cast who could get away with this look? Absolutely. An icon can break the rules. And it was so meticulously accessorized. If you are going for minimalism, it has to be done perfectly. And she looked like the dictionary embodiment of perfection (plus, based on her season 2 and All Stars 1 entrance look, this IS an upgrade, ha!).
    Miz Cracker. It's very Cracker and very beautiful. Is it necessarily the best choice to enter the werq room in? Maybe not. It's perfected Cracker, which I applaud and it's just very pretty (esp. the feathered ends escaping the swirls on the dress). But it's not a gag. It's possibly something she could have done on her season.
    Ongina. In drag less is not more, more is more. And I appreciated it. I appreciated she went for it. It didn't fully work. Reminding me of Plastique's finale look meets Asia's Egyptian goddess. I know she's going for that mythological warrior, and I liked it a lot. But something wasn't there to tip it over into the Harlem children screaming "you are ooooohhhhver miss thing, you are over!"

BOOT
    Alexis Matteo. Okay... how to... hmmmm. Alexis' problem is NOT that she's now a big girl, Alexis' problem is she still paints and pads like she's a small girl. This just looked a mess, the jawline, the white high-lighed mask above her eyes and on her nose, the shape. It felt so... inexperienced. Maybe even a little recycled. This was someone who's won 4 challenges? REALLY? She needs to call up Eureka and chat about "proportionisingggggggg!"
    Derrick Berry. If I wanted to escape the Britney box, I wouldn't walk in dressed as Britney. I wouldn't wear a blonde wig ever again! And I'm going to be blunt, Derrick does not have the body (anymore) to make this look work. I think a perfectly snatched female tux would have been a stronger choice, with a neon green wig to add some skank on it.
    Mariah Balenciaga. Is it me or did she look like Alexis Michelle? This look was ugly, I'm sorry. It wasn't even a nice bodysuit; it didn't match, and those colours clashed horribly. Her skin looked the wrong shade (I mean she looked white; and she's a beautiful black queen). And considering Mariah's (only) skill is her beauty and fashion looks, I was shocked. Compared to her show-stopping lewk in the photo-challenge at the start of Season 11... wha-a-a-happened?
    Mayhem Miller. It's basic af. I know there is a bunch of drama on-line because she bought this for $32 on Amazon, that's not the point. I don't think you need to spend a lot on drag to look fierce, Yvie didn't; she's the dollar queen. Yvie served some STUNNING lewks on a tight budget. This just didn't flatter Mayhem's body, the matchy-matchy with the make-up, nails and jewelry... it LOOKED cheap. Not because of the price tag, but based on how she put the look together. And Mayhem has something to prove, unlike some of the others; she needed to win the fans over from the first second. To hit the ground running... not slow walk to the middle. This look confirmed she is not winning. Period. Facts are facts. I said what I said! [GLITTERED RASPBERRY AWARD]

ENTRANCE TROPHY: Shea Couleé. This is so gorgeous. It's high fashion with the current trend of floral print, but done in a colour and style I've not seen. Now add the bag and the subtly wavey, long hair; stunning. But it's also SO drag. One gloved hand, the choker, the flared pants, those big earrings like fruit. It was... breathtaking. One of the best chic looks I've seen on this show; which was bold AF while not losing the aesthetic. She came TO SLAY!

THE LIBRARY... IS OPEN
    It wouldn't be All Stars without opening the library for a Reading challenge. I wasn't expecting much from this bunch, besides Jujubee, none of them are particularly quick on the insults; and so wasn't shocked when it was one of the most underwhelming Reading challenges we've seen. It wasn't Season 11 bad, but it wasn't great. These all All Stars, right? Before the episode aired (but once we knew who the queens were) I wanted a queen to have rose petals. And Mariah did that BUT it didn't work. I would have had on a glove with roses in, just like Sasha and said "I have just one thing to say... hiiiiieeeee" and ripped off the glove to throw roses in the air, identical to Sasha. And no-one made the Cracker joke of "thin... white... and salty. Two out of three of those statements are still true." Also a tie??? F*CK THAT NOISE! Pffft. It's stupid. Blair did good, but she wasn't a patch on Jujubee. Sorry. No. Grow a pair RuPaul and stop doing ties! They don't work! Don't do a competition and then try and give everyone a prize. This is not a participation category.
    READING TROPHY: Jujubee. She is the ultimate Reader. This was her challenge to win, and she f*ckin' slayyyyed it. I was worried going in, because she has (almost) the ultimate bar to hit, and that's high expectations. When you think Reading, you think Jujubee. Well... she did that. "Mayhem Filler. I mean... Meh-hem Miller." / Mariah. Great. Now we have to change the name to Drag Race Some Stars." I. Was. HOWLING!

FUN FACT: Jujubee now joins Alaska and Latrice as the only contestants to win the Reading challenge TWICE (though unlike the other two, this was -- sort of -- her 'third' time Reading, because in All Stars 1 they did this bizarre cheerleader Reading mini-challenge, which was won by Yarlexis)
    To Be Continued...
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 06-12-2020 at 01:00 PM.

PART II
    WERQ THE WORLD VARIENT EXTRAVAGANZA
    I am not a massive fan of queens lipsyning during these All Star opening challenges. a) there isn't variety, and it's meant to be a VARIETY show b) it's literally something we've seen every single contestant this season do already. It's not showing a new skill, it's not original. It's not exciting. I accept very few lipsyncs or songs in a variety. Valentina I excepted, because she was using her first moment (and possibly only moment, she wasn't to know) to RuDeem her last appearance and her failed lipsync. That I accept. I accept singer/songwriters like Alaska, Adore and Trixie. And I accept (though coincidentally it did not work for Phi Phi) acapella; because we don't see that on the show. But by and large you'll sing probably in two challenges, and lipsync lots. We don't need to see it here. This was not variety. Over two-thirds did songs with dancing. YAWN!

THE GOOD
    Blair St. Claire. I liked this, she had a beautiful voice and her face and outfit was GORGEOUS! The hair... less so. My only issue is similar to what Tamar Braxton said to Ginger Minj in All Stars 2; it felt like "a song you did in the middle of your set". It wasn't the closing number.
    India Ferrah. I was so surprised and so impressed. Normally I dislike a queen spending too much time referencing her season (last All Stars' brown cow/sponge stupidness in the Variety Show) but India has so little to draw from. She took not only her most famous moment, but a pretty embarrassing moment, and made it funny, made it fierce. I loved it. Her voice is... unique. But it worked for the performance. I HATED that bodysuit. WTF Michelle? That was ugly as sin, why did you not call it out?
    Jujubee. She has been credited as having one of the best voices to come out of Drag Race, but sadly the only singing challenge she's been in was a car-crash in season 2 (though did lead to that STUNNING "Black Velvet" lipsync). So I loved hearing her sing, it was a gorgeous song and (unlike Blair) it was a song to close a show. Plus her outfit was perfect from head-to-toe; my god, it was beautiful.
    Mariah Balenciaga. Of all the queens this was the best concept for the Variety show, by a LONG way. It just didn't quite deliver. She shouldn't have tried to do physical theatre dance while speaking, while splashing blood, while playing to the camera. To deliver poetry, esp. a poem as evocative and lyrical as Maya Angelou, you don't need all that. Let the words do the telling. Had she mostly stood still, with the blood on the wall and that white Quadrille dress and really hit home the words of that poem, then pulled off her outfit revealing a skin coloured nude illusion bodysuit with a chain around her neck connected to her chains on her wrists... MY GOD! It would have been breathtaking. But it wasn't that. VERY valiant effort and I credit Mariah for surprising me.
    Shea Couleé. I appreciate she was doing something creative, and putting the V in Variety. And his ass and arms... F*CK! I'd love to wreck him; he's so sexy. But anyway... I loved the idea, but this wasn't enough (for me) to secure a top spot. She needed to seriously shift up the performance once she got into it, and make it crazy high energy or some really impressive stunts. Instead it was a very well done, very respectable performance. Also the black knee pads???? RUINED the look. And she was never on her knees, or the floor, I don't get it?

THE BAD
    Alexis Matteo. I liked this to a degree, I think the Las Vegas bodysuit was very nice and I enjoyed her energy. The song wasn't anything that special (personally). The main reason I put her here is I'm over "BAM". She's been in two seasons and a total of 18 episodes. Is her only claim to fame "BAM"? Really? It shouldn't be. And again the make-up and padding was a mess. Considering she is the only other queen with 4 wins in this season, I... don't think she's going to get that far. Put it this way, Manila came into All Stars 4 with 4 wins, and she slayyyyyed the competition from beginning to lipstick end. Do you feel Alexis is delivering that same level of All Star?
    Mayhem Miller. I loved the beginning, the eye blinks were great. And I liked the idea of her rapping. But the judges were right, I couldn't hear what she was saying. It was a bold choice that went BADLY. Her voice was very deep too, compared to her speaking voice she raps in a base tone. I liked parts of the outfit, but it needed more. A belt, or cooler nails and earrings and bracelets. Something. Also her attitude during the critique and the deliberation was so... meh. It was more akin to defeated Mayhem from ep 4&5 of season 10, not fierce Mayhem from ep1-3. After her Krampus look in Christmas Queens I was so excited to see her on All Stars. Very disappointing.
    Ongina. To quote Tyra Banks: "I was rooting for you, we were all rooting for you, HOW DARE YOU!!!" I was so sad when she pulled out of AS4 last minute, and squealed with delight when she was confirmed on this cast. I was ready for her to SERVE. THE. CHILDREN. And boy was this a let down. It was lazy. That's the part that upset me. She couldn't honestly think three basic reveals and some pretty uninspiring choreography was going to win this challenge? This wasn't a star. This wasn't an icon. This was a little boy in his mother's clothes.

THE UGLY
    Derrick Berry. Where. Are. The Jokes? I... on one level I admire her trying to be creative. But she's not a funny queen. Surely she knows that? WHY did she do this? This format of various impressions in such a short time period with no room for set-up, that's a tough challenge for a SKILLED and EXPERIENCED comedian. I am an actor, I've done a lot of comedy shows, and I couldn't do this. What the f*ck was she thinking? It was a big swing, which I appreciate. But boyyyy... it was a big miss too. And I really don't understand repeatedly saying she wants to be seen for Derrick, when she dresses like Britney twice in one episode, and does impersonations of ten other people. BAD impersonations, at that. Joan Rivers was the only good impression. In my opinion.

VARIETY TROPHY: Miz Cracker. I thought it was great. Funny. Irreverent. Stupid. And done to perfection (in terms of the parameters she was going for and what she was aiming to deliver). It was very Cracker and she looked great, in and out of the dill suit. Was it up there with Ben dela Creme's burlesque or Manila's crazed painting? Absolutely not. But it was the best of this bunch (by quite a bit).

LIPSYNC ASSASSIN: Yvie Oddley. F*CK! YASSS! So shooketh that we started out with a crowned queen, but unbelievably thrilled that a) I was right who they could use and b) IT'S YVIE! And I love her so much. She did not pull her punches, and I appreciated that; if these queens want to win this money, they better deliver because an assassin won't go down easy. And she looked incredible, some steam punk neon goddess coming on the stage to remind the children why she rules supreme. And my god, she served it. The only time I remembered India was when she slide into Yvie, and our crowned queen didn't even flinch. Yvie was funny, acrobatic, told the story, used the lyrics. It was everything. I was mesmerized; even lying on the floor, eyes wide open as she spat out every word of the song, she was sooooooo funny. She's now 4 for 4 in lipsync wins; watch out Jujubee, she's coming for your crown.
    LIPSYNC TROPHY: Yvie Oddly. #sorryboutit

OVERALL
    Sadly the weakest first episode of All Stars since season 1. Between the so-so entrance looks, an overall poor reading challenge and two-thirds of the cast lipsyncing for "variety" (yet ironically giving the polar opposite) and no-one gagging us with any of their performances, I was left utterly underwhelmed. The highlight of the episode was from a queen not even on the season. Very disappointing for Drag. Still FABULOUS TV compared to everything else out there.
    ~ rating: 2 out of 5 [grade: C-]
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 06-12-2020 at 01:01 PM.

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

Ok, so it is Monday, and I can reply without spoilers.

Staring out, I had really high hopes for Ongina, and so far, I've been underwhelmed. I can't believe she couldn't produce one good read!!! Really? that's just sad. However, I'm glad my other fave, Jujubee, took on that mini challenge in tru Juju fashion. I do agree that it was a rather weak field, so Juju was able to mop up the competition with a paper towel.

I was also underwhelmed with the whole "Werq The World" talent show. Exactly where was the talent? I would think that since there is lip syncing on every episode, a queen would choose to do something different to stand out. Some comments:

Three of the queens who were given "safe", I would've had as the three best. Standing ovation to Juju for her live performance, it was low energy, but powerful and classy. I would've had her as the winner. Shea Coulée and Mariah’s Paris Balenciaga gave us very unique displays of talent, and these three queens should've been recognized.

I did not agree with India Farrah's win. A lip sync while flailing your arms around and whipping your hair just doesn't compare to what Juju, Shea and Mariah did, in my opinion.

I was watching the drama between India and Derrick with a lot of interest, but I knew it wouldn't last long, as Derrick was going to be gone by the end of the episode. I just knew as soon as she started talking about wanting to be seen as "more" than just Britney, but came out in outfits and wigs that did NOTHING but remind everyone of Britney, she wasn't gonna go far. Once India was declared winner, I knew that it didn't matter who she would have to lip sync against, Derrick was going to be gone. Mayhem Miller fared just slightly better than Derrick, and Ongina was (again) a disappointment.

I will admit, I like the idea of the lip sync assassin, and they hit the ball out of the park with Yvie Oddley! As soon as I saw it was her behind the curtain, I know India would have no hope of winning. I am waiting to see which returning queen this season as the right stuff to defeat one of the assassins.

I always get so much more excited for All Stars than the regular seasons.

I LOVE Jujubee & Cracker, so I am rooting for them. However, I think Shea is likely to win. And you know what, I am OK with that.

Kieran, I am surprised you thought the reading challenge was poor. I thought Jujubee & Blair killed it! And Mariah's rose drop cracked me up.

I was disappointed with Ongina & Mayhem. With being out of the picture for so long, I would have though Ongina would want to come in hot. And for being eliminated so early in her season, I figured Mayhem would have come in trying to prove something. Both were totally lackluster.

I love watching Yvie lip sync, so I am glad she was their first assassin. And Derrick going home was not a surprise. Seem liked she rubbed a lot of the girls the wrong way with how hard she was going in on India.

I cannot wait until Shea wins a challenge and they bring out Sasha for the lip sync Oh the shade!

Staring out, I had really high hopes for Ongina, and so far, I've been underwhelmed. I can't believe she couldn't produce one good read!!! Really? that's just sad.
    I was so excited for Ongina, and I was shocked. Between the Reading challenge and the Variety show... I killed all hope I had she'd be the surprise break-out star of the season. It did help solidify Ru made the absolute right choice to pick Bebe over Ongina all those years ago. Bebe came into All Stars and proved she was the OG. Ongina... proved she was merely good for the first season.

I was also underwhelmed with the whole "Werq The World" talent show. Exactly where was the talent? I would think that since there is lip syncing on every episode, a queen would choose to do something different to stand out.
    Me too, this was p*ss poor. They need to ban lipsyncing for the Variety, I was SOOOOO BORED!!!

Three of the queens who were given "safe", I would've had as the three best. Standing ovation to Juju for her live performance, it was low energy, but powerful and classy. I would've had her as the winner. Shea Coulée and Mariah’s Paris Balenciaga gave us very unique displays of talent, and these three queens should've been recognized.
    I... agree. I don't think Shea and Mariah did enough to justify any feelings of "robbed", but I personally give them extra credit for NOT lipsyncing. And I agree, I think Jujubee was the most interesting. Was she singing live though? I thought it sounded recorded.

I was watching the drama between India and Derrick with a lot of interest, but I knew it wouldn't last long, as Derrick was going to be gone by the end of the episode. I just knew as soon as she started talking about wanting to be seen as "more" than just Britney, but came out in outfits and wigs that did NOTHING but remind everyone of Britney, she wasn't gonna go far. Once India was declared winner, I knew that it didn't matter who she would have to lip sync against, Derrick was going to be gone. Mayhem Miller fared just slightly better than Derrick, and Ongina was (again) a disappointment.
    Let's be honest:
    - India
    - Derrick
    - Blair
    They were never going to win. Ever. Not ever. In a season with Shea, Cracker and Jujubee, these three stood no chance of getting that crown. And based on this episode, Mayhem and Ongina don't stand much of a chance of making the top, let alone winning.

I will admit, I like the idea of the lip sync assassin, and they hit the ball out of the park with Yvie Oddley! As soon as I saw it was her behind the curtain, I know India would have no hope of winning. I am waiting to see which returning queen this season as the right stuff to defeat one of the assassins.
    Yvie is now the second best lipsync assassin after Jujubee. Latrice is close (5 of 6 wins).

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    I always get so much more excited for All Stars than the regular seasons.
    I love any and all Drag. I've watched season 1 of Drag Race Thailand, and I'm on season 2 now.

I LOVE Jujubee & Cracker, so I am rooting for them. However, I think Shea is likely to win. And you know what, I am OK with that.
    Agreed, on all points. I'm rooting for Cracker and Jujubee, but Shea's winning. The writing's on the wall. I'd be SHOCKED if she didn't. Genuinely shocked. Ru loves her too much, and she's too strong.

Kieran, I am surprised you thought the reading challenge was poor. I thought Jujubee & Blair killed it! And Mariah's rose drop cracked me up.
    I thought both did great, but as a collective group I felt this was the weakest Reading challenge out of AS2, 3, 4 and 5. Weakest by a LONG WAY.

I was disappointed with Ongina & Mayhem. With being out of the picture for so long, I would have though Ongina would want to come in hot. And for being eliminated so early in her season, I figured Mayhem would have come in trying to prove something. Both were totally lackluster.
    Agreed. I'm shocked they didn't bring the fire. They had more to prove, so should have given twice as much.

I cannot wait until Shea wins a challenge and they bring out Sasha for the lip sync Oh the shade!
    Honestly... I'd rather see Shea vs. Nina Bonina for better drama (and Shea could potentially win). Shea has no chance of beating Sasha in a lipsync. Shea isn't a great lipsyncer, at least she wasn't in season 9.

I want Alexis Mateo to win, but I'd be happy with Shea Coulee, Miz Cracker, or Jujubee too.

Mariah's talent show blew me away. I'm shocked she didn't place in the top.

I love the mention of Nina Bonina Brown for lip sync assassin! I really wish she'd come back for an All Stars. One of the most creative and unique queens of all time.

RuVIEW
    EPISODE II
    The queens walk back into the werk room after Derrick's elimination. They are all proud of India's lipsync, and while she stood no chance, I do agree she did a great job. It was her best lipsync to date. My favourite part was discussing the lipsync assassin; they are all hungry for that $20,000 but the look in Juju's eyes!!! GURL! The others may talk-the-talk, but Juju is THE OG lipsync assassin. And she knows it. She knows if it comes down to it, it's hers to win. GOD, she looked fierce.

And then we get some delusion. I am so disappointed in Mayhem. This wasn't fierce, quite the opposite. Juju was honest, and gave very fair reasons why she picked Derrick to stay. AND I respect she corrected her apology with "I'm sorry I hurt you." THAT is the mentality of a winner. But Mayhem. Mayhem, Mayhem, Mayhem... despite it not mattering, as she's safe, gets very pressed. She survived, who cares who ONE person voted for? I do not care for delusion. She's been basic AF so far. And she thinks Ru placing her in the bottom means someone else shouldn't pick her to go home... delusion. To quote Valentina: "That is not fierce. That is not a star." [GLITTERED RASPBERRY]

I'M IN LOVE
    I'm going to be honest, I didn't really like them doing this episode 2 in All Stars 4, and I enjoyed it even less here. Firstly (as a general note) I am frustrated with teams on this show, because the show stopped rewarding teams several seasons ago. Everything is judged individually, so why both doing them? Why does Shea win as team leader when HER TEAM failed the most? More than any other. Secondly, the Variety was 90% lipsyncs and dancing... and it wasn't even that good when they had months to prepare. So to follow it with a lipsyncing/dancing challenge (which was again not very good) really was a poor choice by the production. Third, they do this same challenge for the finale, so why bother doing it here, when it will inevitably be less impressive? I just don't understand.

Where is the Baddest B*tches in Herstory? Where is Diva's Live? Why are they not having to embody iconic ladies, or do a RuSical or something? Had they done teams and one person was in-charge of choreography, one person in-charge of looks, one person in-charge of lyrics, similar to the 'Girl Group' challenge in Season 1... that would have been at-least more interesting. Had they all had to crush on the same person, so they have a theme and concept; that would have been better. Had Blair's team all been serial killers, the way Shea's was all superheroes. It just... was a huge disappointment.

No-one deserved a trophy. No-one was iconic. If I had to pick, I think Blair's team did the best overall, and Shea's team the weakest overall. I would have given Cracker the win, for the combined performance and runway. And I'd have saved Shea from being up for elimination due to her performance and runway.

CATEGORY IS... LOVE THE SKIN YOU'RE IN
    TOOT
    India Ferrah. I love the concept, it's very much a nod to the addition of POC tones to the rainbow flag, the varied colour in lightening tones, with the heart connecting them all together. It was a successful message of inclusion. Not just loving your skin, but loving ALL skins. The addition of the gold works with the various hues and the hair is expensive. It's ruffled and flow-y. A very polished look.
    Ongina. I liked this a lot. Yes, it swallowed her tiny body a little, but it was still very well done; and the square oil-paper umbrella added a nice touch. The placing of the feathers and the white animal print to break it up was smart. She was both loving her skin, her heritage, while being queen of the Sarimanok all at the same time. I wish she'd covered her tattoos though. It didn't go with the fabric.

BOOT
    Alexis Matteo. I did not care for a lot of this. I love the material, and this is the best her shape and padding has been all season. It looks expensive... but I didn't get skin tone. And you can tell because not only does it not match her hands or her face, but she has a fake cleavage cut-out... ALSO not the same skin tone. It was very confusing.
    Blair St. Claire. This is fabulous... if they category was "one in the pink". This is a much more fashion forward version of Monet's pink mouse; and it's so surprising to come from Blair. This is a glow up! It's so gorgeous, sleek pleather, the bright neon yellow hair, the gloves and that epic cartwheel hat. And her make-up is fantastic. But unless Blair is loving the colour of her bleached pink ass-h*le, this was NOT SKIN! I just... I admire the creativity and concept, but this was a fundamental failure for the category.
    Jujubee. It... was literally a prom dress. Is it pretty, yes. Would it have looked good on Season 2? Yes. Would this have gagged us on season 2? No. It's kinda basic. The days of just wearing a nice dress are long gone. I love the mermaid cut, the hair, the big single jewel. But it's waaaay too simple.
    Mariah Balenciaga. This was a GORGEOUS dress. Her make-up was beat the house down yas gawd. But... it was a skin tone dress. The end. That's not All Stars. If I didn't exception Heidi just wearing a pretty purple dress for 'the Color Purple' runway in season 12, I certainly won't accept this from an All Star!!!
    Mayhem Miller. DO NOT replicate a look if you can't a) replicate it precisely or b) do it even better than the original. Kim Kardashian's 2019 Muglar Met Gala dress took 8 months to make, and is one of the most expensive outfits she has ever worn. WHY would you try and replicate it??? Firstly, this dress was not Mayhem's skin tone, for a start. Those didn't look like droplets of water, which was the concept for Kim's dress inspired by a wet Sophia Loren in the film Boy on a Dolphin (1975). Aquaria came out with styled wet hair for the mermaid runway in season 10, why couldn't Mayhem do that? This was just a colossal failure.
    Miz Cracker. This was nice, the tulle ruffles coming past her mouth was a mistake; but it flowed beautifully. I appreciate the details of the pink shoes and the skin tone bejeweled leaves. But that "sneeze guard" (as Michele said) really ruined the overall effect. And I think the hair was the wrong style for this look too.

RUNWAY TROPHY: Shea Couleé. Shoooooot! I loved this, it was Cheetara meets Wakanda warrioress. The detailing on it, the Kayan neck rings and gold bracers to separate the lining of the bodysuit to her skin, the rhinestone nipples and belly button, the bold choice to not go matchy-matchy with gold, instead having a silver strapped shoe; the choice for an afro... it all sends such a clear message. It was beautiful. This was the best thing about this whole episode. SHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!

LIPSYNC ASSASSIN: Alyssa Edwards. The moment I saw it was Alyssa... I got briefly confused. She was not one of my picks. While she has won 4 of her 5 lipsyncs, and been part of three ICONIC lipsyncs (Alyssa vs. Roxxy and Alyssa vs Coco in S5 and Alyssa vs. Tatianna in AS2)... I just never think of her as an incredible lipsyncer. And I think this showed us why. She does the same thing. THE. SAME. THING. People clock Kameron Michaels for the same moves (despite the fact he actually has a good amount of variety); but Alyssa does the same moves regardless of the song, and I don't think it worked for the Pointer Sisters. Why not have Coco Montrese come back instead, she's the true lipsync assassin of season 5, she slayyyyyyed the Pointer Sisters song "I'm So Excited" and would have done just as brilliantly this time. But Alyssa just didn't bring it; and what was with that weird fan moment??? Where as Shea! Ohhhh Shea. The jives, the bounce, her facial expressions, that afro. Scooting on the floor, vogueing, kicks, hand claps, trotting, booty shake, titty jiggle. It was all... SO GOOD! I was shocked. Shea hadn't done well in her two previous lipsyncs, but she done RuDeemed herself. My god, it was good.
    LIPSYNC TROPHY: Shea Couleé.

OVERALL
    One of the least impressive episodes of Drag Race I've seen in a long, long time. Add to that this is All Stars; this should be the best of the best. And I found both teams at the start of season 12 did better lyrics, better choreography and engaged me so much more. Add in a very uninspiring runway and a poor lipsync assassin... ugh. This season, so far, is worse than AS1. This was. Not. Good.
    ~ rating: 2 out of 5 [grade: D+]
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 06-26-2020 at 10:49 AM.

[SIDE TEA] For anyone who's not seen it, Ongina got very pressed on social media, and threw a lot of shade at Cracker. And it made me like Ongina slightly less. She came in with an imperfect look, was BASIC AF in Reading, floundered in the first challenge which she had time to prepare, her second runway had flaws too... NONE OF WHICH was Cracker's fault. So to try and blame Cracker for her own failures in this competition... is pretty petty.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I want Alexis Mateo to win, but I'd be happy with Shea Coulee, Miz Cracker, or Jujubee too.
    I've never been a huge fan of Alexis Mateo, personally. My issue with her this season is simple: Manila came into AS4 with four wins under her belt, and it showed. She performed liked a true iconic winner. Shea has come into AS5 with four wins under her belt and it shows. Do you, truthfully, feel Alexis has come into this season displaying that same level of "iconic"? Because she has 4 wins too.

That said, I agree I think the Top 4 is Shea, Cracker, Juju and Alexis.

Mariah's talent show blew me away. I'm shocked she didn't place in the top.
    I LOVED the concept. It could have easily won, but the delivery of the words was a major failing. I think for the idea I'd have put her in Top 3, because it was such a strong concept.

I love the mention of Nina Bonina Brown for lip sync assassin! I really wish she'd come back for an All Stars. One of the most creative and unique queens of all time.
    I love me some Nina Bonina Brown Boyer-Chapman Pinkett-Smith Gordon-Levitt. I have a suspicion she didn't want to come to All Stars until she knew Shea wouldn't be one of the contestants, because she didn't want to revisit that drama. That's my theory. So AS6? Here's hoping...

[AS PER MY RULE, MONDAY ONWARDS: SPOILERS ARE ALLOWED... I've updated the tally on the OP and un-spoilered my review]
    During my reviews I do 'trophies'; and thought this season I'll keep a tally of them, to see how it stacks up against how the queens progress. Last season Gigi got 12 trophies, Crystal and Jackie 5, Jaida 4... so clearly I have excellent taste; since that was the Top 4; and Brita won 4 Glittered Raspberries, again... I have excellent taste. I do it more for my own amusement than others, but... enjoy. Or don't. It's entirely up to you.

Kieran's "Trophy Hall of Records"
    Shea Couleé - 3
    Jujubee - 1
    Miz Cracker - 1
    Yvie Oddly - 1

The Glittered Raspberry
    Mayhem - ep1, ep2
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 06-17-2020 at 06:17 AM.