Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rocket Girl

Quote Originally Posted by klinton View Post
    This book is phenominal. The entire premise is just pure fun. Her whole "I'm a cop, I've got this!" stance is fantastic!

I just wish it wasn't so slow in coming it. It feels like forever since the last issue.
    I buy my books monthly and it feels so long since I read a new issue. I also dont check out when comics come out so the last time I was there (during FCBD) I went over the stacks of two different stores none stop for an half hour looking, until I finally asked and found out it was delayed again.

It doesn't matter though, most good books have delays.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSnorefest View Post
    Yeah I think that just shows how comics are still very much catering to a male audience. If this story was Rocket Boy, it'd basically be a quirkier, 80ies sci-fi version of the Rocketeer. But because it stars a teen girl and avoids a lot of the typically associated genre tropes, it's immediately lauded as progressive and feminist. When really this should just be the benchmark for stories; good characters who do not exist solely for the benefit of other (often male) characters. (Not to belittle any feminists, I agree with the view that there should be equality between all sexes and genders.)
    If I ever write a character like Supergirl or Kamala they won't have a romantic interest at all.

Well, the new issue is confirmed on Diamond's shipping list for this Wednesday. I'm more than a little happy to see it listed!
    Freedom is the ability to live without fear of persecution.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

Rocket Girl, Vol. 1: Times Squared TPB

Story By: Brandon Montclare
    Art By: Amy Reeder
    Cover By: Amy Reeder
    Cover Price: $9.99
    Published: July 9, 2014

Collects ROCKET GIRL #1-5. A teenage cop from a hightech future is sent back in time to 1986 New York City. Dayoung Johansson is investigating the Quintum Mechanics megacorporation for crimes against time. As she pieces together the clues, she discovers the “future” she calls home—an alternate reality version of 2014—shouldn’t exist at all! Rocket Girl returns this fall with #6 and a new arc!
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSnorefest View Post
    because it stars a teen girl and avoids a lot of the typically associated genre tropes, it's immediately lauded as progressive and feminist.
    Which is a GOOD thing. These labels don't exist merely to give Rocket Girl the ultimate praise, they exist to shut out and the shame the mysoginist comic book fans who treat the word feminist like a curseword.

When in reality feminism and progressivism is the greatest thing to ever happen to american comic books. And there is mo greater praise you can give a comic then calling it feminist.

Quote Originally Posted by Haruhater View Post
    Which is a GOOD thing. These labels don't exist merely to give Rocket Girl the ultimate praise, they exist to shut out and the shame the mysoginist comic book fans who treat the word feminist like a curseword.

When in reality feminism and progressivism is the greatest thing to ever happen to american comic books. And there is mo greater praise you can give a comic then calling it feminist.
    It's pretty funny how people are trying to turn feminism into a scare word like liberal. To me the label doesn't really matter, its the content, which for this book is very good.

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

How progressively feminist can this book be if the protagonist is as bland as buttered toast?

Not disagreeing with you here, I'm really glad books like this exist, even though for me it didn't really work. 'Feminism' has unfortunately become a word that idiots are drawn to and immediately makes people angry. I guess it's hard for misogynists to picture 'equality' as anything other than a reversal of the current status quo (I don't think it's a very controversial thing to say that in the western world at least, men tend to have higher positions of power than other genders).
    Not sure if I'd call Rocket Girl a feminist book though, since I tend to associate the word more with a kind of activist/political stance, which I don't feel has been present in the 4 issues I read. It's just a good comic with a diverse cast of both women and men who treat each other like people. Yes, that is the message of feminism but never does it get explicitly pointed out, and I think that might be for the best too. Like we agree, calling something feminist immediately draws criticism. Whereas now those critical people might read this and like it, and only later realise that there's for example no objectification in here when they pick up another comic that does have it. But I could be wrong! I'm not against 'taking the word back' and I agree that the recent surge of awareness has been a massive positive influence on comics!

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    It's pretty funny how people are trying to turn feminism into a scare word like liberal. To me the label doesn't really matter, its the content, which for this book is very good.
    Nail on the head.

Quote Originally Posted by pixie_solanas View Post
    How progressively feminist can this book be if the protagonist is as bland as buttered toast?
    Yeah the protagonist didn't really work for me either, but I think they've been going for a 'teenagers tend to be more rigid and black & white in their views of what is right and wrong' kind of angle. Which isn't a terrible idea! Just wanna point out though that feminism does not exclude 'bland' people; it's not about only having supercool, pro-active, independent, powerful female characters. That's a very shallow idea, in my opinion, since women (like other genders!) can also be weak or lazy or bland or insecure, dependent, etc. It's about writing people, not just 'strong female characters.' Not all male characters are just cool guys either right? If you took all of the oversexualised female characters in comics, and replaced them all with smart, strong, independent women who only show off some skin if they want to -- that would perhaps be some progress, but still you would have lots of characters who are just kind of the same... And that's still boring right?
    All the cool cats are reading CBR's Community Standards & Rules!

Rocket Girl #6

Cover Price: $3.50
    Digital Price: $2.99
    Published: May 6, 2015

"SPLIT SECOND" ROCKET GIRL RETURNS FOR A SECOND TIME-TRAVELLING STORY ARC! In 1986 NYC, DaYoung Johansson vowed to hang up her helmet and jetpack--now there's no one's left to right the city's wrongs. And what could possibly be happening in the time-travelling 2014 that shouldn't exist at all?
    Last edited by Enigmatic Undead; 11-23-2014 at 07:41 PM.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Rocket Girl #7

Cover By: Amy Reeder
    Cover Price: $3.50
    Digital Price: $2.99
    Published: August 26, 2015

“NOW WHAT!?” Rocket Girl now shipping bimonthly! DaYoung Johansson was prepared to live a normal life—as normal as 1986 New York City could ever be for a teenage cop from a high-tech alternate reality 2014. But time travelling isn’t so simple: changes made in both the future and past are now at war, and the present is stuck in the middle.
    Last edited by Enigmatic Undead; 07-24-2015 at 11:27 PM.

Published 2015? Seems like we'll be waiting that long.
    image Ascender, Birthright, Deadly Class, Die, Lazarus, Monstress, Nocterra, Oblivion Song, Rat Queens, Realm, Reaver, Redneck, Sweet Paprika Marvel Excalibur, Marauders, X-Force, X-Men DC Batman/Catwoman, Wonder Girl Dynamite Red Sonja, Vengeance of Vampirella Boom Dark Blood, Once & Future, Something is Killing the Children

Glad to finally read a new issue of this.