Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

It's really sad that comics retailers that are already struggling with a pandemic and shutdowns/lockdowns now have this to stress over.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    As Peter said, this is potentially catastrophic for comic shops as they will most likely not get the same level of discounts from the new "suppliers" which up until this point have been just comic shops themselves (just with a higher online profile.) Likewise as one of Bleeding Cools articles stated, books to the UK (and most likely all of Europe) will now cost twice cover price so as to cover shipping costs.
    That's not going to be worth it. Why would anyone pay £8 for a copy of Detective Comics in the shop when you can get it digitally for £3? If Panini were to expand their Collectors Editions line (which currently comprises six Marvel titles and one DC one), they'd be undercutting the US releases too, at £4.50 for a mag that reprints two comics (so equivalent to £2.25 per issue).

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    That or R&D. When you look at how much modern comics have had an influence on a lot of the movies and TV shows (both Marvel and DC), that's probably a major factor in why they're still published despite not bringing in a whole hell of a lot of money.
    Yeah, Ms. Marvel's getting a live action TV show and has been in several cartoons. She didn't exist yet seven years ago. And look at DC Super Hero Girls. It's cast includes Jessica Cruz - who debuted only five years ago (in the final year of New 52 Justice League). If there were no new comics, those characters wouldn't exist. So yeah, R&D for other media is definitely a reason to keep them going.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Mighty Member

Good news! I hope. Someone at DC is thinking innovatively. I'm old enough to remember when comic books could be found in places other than comic shops, or graphic novels stuffed away in the magazine section of Wallmart.

That being said, I think innovative ways to get digital downloads to the public is important, (My idea; a link to a Black Lightning comic that could be found on the netflix Black Lightning tv show) comics have to be made more accessible and visible to non comic fans.

I worry about DC, they seem to have owners who are willing to cut them loose, and not willing to put a dime into DC Comics, despite the fact that the licensing of their intellectual property, has made AT&T billions of dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by MolMcN View Post
    Just curious about what other people are thinking, do you guys think this is a mostly good move on DC’s part, or mostly bad?
    I think it's a stone cold move to pull right now when a lot of shops are struggling and not sure if they'll be able to overcome their losses from the shutdown.

But I also think that, for DC itself, this is as good a time as any to branch out and try something different.

Whether it's good or not....time will tell. This will just be one aspect of a larger shift, and I don't think we'll be able to tell if it pans out or not until everything is said and done.

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    Young Justice should have been a sure fire hit! I blame the lineup honestly, seems like most fans wanted the YJ4 mixed with the likes of Ms Martian, Blue Beetle and Aqualad. You know, a mix of comics and show, yet we got neither
    I definitely think that had a part to play. I think the timing and composition were just a little off, and I think fans expected too much too. Those of us who read the original series probably look at it with rose colored lenses and demanded more from the new book than was likely reasonable (I did anyway; I was blinded by the idea of getting the YJ4 back together and didn't think about all the issues I thought were just "meh"), and fans of the cartoon didn't get much that they recognized....assuming those fans are reading comics in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Reading between the lines, it sounds like AT&T or Warners are looking for a way to phase out monthly books altogether.
    That's my suspicion. I think DC wants to push into bookstore OGN's. Easier to produce, longer shelf life, etc. I'm guessing they're looking at doubling down on digital too, from the way they're shifting books to digital first. That one will be interesting; we can look at trade sales and manga and see a pretty clear indicator of the potential success there, especially with some marketing effort behind it. But digital is still largely a unknown factor; no major publisher has really tried to adapt to the structure of the format, they've just made regular comics and scanned them into a file instead of printing them. It'd be interesting to see a serious push here, with changes to production models to match.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    That or R&D. When you look at how much modern comics have had an influence on a lot of the movies and TV shows (both Marvel and DC), that's probably a major factor in why they're still published despite not bringing in a whole hell of a lot of money.
    Hasn't Marvel straight up said as much? And I'm pretty sure Jim Lee did too, after taking over as sole publisher. The goal now is larger media adaptation.....with a evergreen trade on the shelf as a very, very distant second, and quality product for the Wednesday Warrior trailing behind in a shuffling third place.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

To the people saying that physical comics are dead. They make to much money and are large enough they wont get cut.

As for the stores saying they'll drop DC comics, let them go under their is no god dam way DC dosent offer discounts to match or other ways of compensating for the change so complaing about cost shouldn't be a problem and the extra work should be trimmed down as time goes on.
    As long as this forces the industry to finaly adapt to the current climate we're taking a win

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    To the people saying that physical comics are dead. They make to much money and are large enough they wont get cut.

As for the stores saying they'll drop DC comics, let them go under their is no god dam way DC dosent offer discounts to match or other ways of compensating for the change so complaing about cost shouldn't be a problem and the extra work should be trimmed down as time goes on.
    As long as this forces the industry to finaly adapt to the current climate we're taking a win
    If they drop DC over this then so be i if they go bottom up i dont't feel sorry for them.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, Ms. Marvel's getting a live action TV show and has been in several cartoons. She didn't exist yet seven years ago. And look at DC Super Hero Girls. It's cast includes Jessica Cruz - who debuted only five years ago (in the final year of New 52 Justice League). If there were no new comics, those characters wouldn't exist. So yeah, R&D for other media is definitely a reason to keep them going.

Don't forget other media has used guys that have lived in limbo or the scrap heap.

Look at Rocket Raccoon-he had a FAILED mini series in the 80s. Now look at him.

Remember Jamal Igle said Dc has made 5 billion for WB. You can cut monthlies and toss out OGNs all you like and still R& D.

Hasn't Marvel straight up said as much? And I'm pretty sure Jim Lee did too, after taking over as sole publisher.
    EVERYBODY has said that. Look at all the low selling and even HATED by a certain group books that are getting movie and tv deals.

To the people saying that physical comics are dead.
    No one is saying they are dead. However the package they come in will change.

You can't keep using a monthly floppy to justify not doing certain books.

It's is NOT the fault of DC that a solo book starring Black Lightning can't sell in a comic book store. Book quality be DANGED.

I saw a HORRIBLE book called Black Panther World of Wakanda-outsell on Amazon (BEFORE that movie) every DC Rebirth book including Batman and did it for almost 2 years.

That is the one thing about trades-you can have a CRAPPY book but one movie or tv show can get it sales-see Coates Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36 View Post
    If they drop DC over this then so be i if they go bottom up i dont't feel sorry for them.
    Considering they several store wanted digital issues to not only go up in price but be delayed 3 months and have trades only hold popular issues of the run(and cant go past 4 volumes) because why adapt when you can alienate everyon who dosent by single issues and view those comic fans as lesser/outsiders makes watching them squirm worth it. I dont care if this makes me come off as psychotic, the reasion manga and web toons are so big is they pushed for a massive ease of access and there material can be gotten anywhere. Diamond's hand in creating that mentality caused more damage to the industry the this change ever will

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post

The BC article basically said that the cost of printing is getting too high to keep doing. They aren't getting a return on their investment. Do I think the big names like Superman and Batman will be cut right away? No. But the experimental books are probably gone. They just cancelled a bunch of dollar books and reprints and some sources are speculating the Wal-Mart books line is finished and already moving to all digital. Keep in mind, AT&T is a telecommunications company that inherited a publishing division. That doesn't mean they want one.
    Assassinate Putin!

They want the IPs and potential content. From the gossip it’s not that they want to stop print, but they want change how they print.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

I wish I could collect everything DC and IF they put out LESS titles with BETTER quality overall I WILL

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

The very idea that they're trying to run away from monthly books is pretty chilling because I can't see a real interconnected universe surviving that changeover. It's not the continuity so much as the connectivity that I'd miss.

I was planning a trip to my shop in the morning and I'm curious on their thoughts. Worst case scenario, I get my DC books online and get my indies from them. I'm sure they'd hate that, but if they decide to boycott DC I'll just have to split my business. Hope it doesn't come to that, I really love my LCS.

Astonishing Member

Pretty soon WB and Disney won't even bother basing movies and TV shows on comic book characters. They will just start creating them onscreen and say it's IP from the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Don't forget other media has used guys that have lived in limbo or the scrap heap.

Look at Rocket Raccoon-he had a FAILED mini series in the 80s. Now look at him.
    The R&D on that one was the late 2000s Guardians of the Galaxy comic by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning (DnA). Rocket was already back in use in the comics several years before he appeared in a movie.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Power Torch View Post
    From what I hear, that sounds costly. Double the shipping to keep DC. They have to pay Diamond to ship and this new company. I'm not a retailer, so I don't know the cost. But I've seen a few stores worried about that.
    I've been lurking but don't really get it but this I get. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    ONe store is getting rid of all DC books for a dollar.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/denn...mond-reaction/
    This I don't. Isn't this hurting themselves because they bought them at full price?

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    The BC article basically said that the cost of printing is getting too high to keep doing. They aren't getting a return on their investment. Do I think the big names like Superman and Batman will be cut right away? No. But the experimental books are probably gone. They just cancelled a bunch of dollar books and reprints and some sources are speculating the Wal-Mart books line is finished and already moving to all digital. Keep in mind, AT&T is a telecommunications company that inherited a publishing division. That doesn't mean they want one.
    I don't mind this since from a new or less well-to-do reader perspective, the less book in a shared universe the better because it's easier and cheaper to keep up, while for authors and editors it's easier to manage consistency, while the less profitable but popular characters can go to OGN or digital
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 06-06-2020 at 02:41 AM.