View Poll Results: Which movie did you like better?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • First Flight

21 95.45%
  • Emerald Knights

1 4.55%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Default GL First Flight or Emerald Knights?

Which one do you like better
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

I like seeing them as a duology.
    "First Flight" establishes the premise, and intro to the Corps through the eyes of the "rookie" and the Sinestro - Jordan "training day" like dynamic.
    The Emerald Knights wonderfully expands on the now established Corps, which reads like a sequel as it uses the same narrative, visual world built, and character designs.

Together they reminded me of the old GL series which featured an ongoing Hal Jordan story up front (First Flight), and a tales of the GLCorps (Emeralf Knights) back-up every month, introducing and featuring a different GL.
    Last edited by Güicho; 06-05-2020 at 04:37 PM.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    "First Flight" establishes the premise, and intro to the Corps through the eyes of the "rookie" and the Sinestro - Jordan "training day" like dynamic.
    The Emerald Knights wonderfully expands on the now established Corps, which reads like a sequel as it uses the same narrative, visual world built, and character designs.

Together they reminded me of the old GL series which featured an ongoing Hal Jordan story up front (First Flight), and a tales of the GLCorps (Emeralf Knights) back-up every month, introducing and featuring a different GL.
    Yeah, EK reminds me of that as well. I liked them both, but FF was better.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    Yeah, EK reminds me of that as well. I liked them both, but FF was better.
    I haven't see either in awhile, but I do recall FF being better as well.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post

But they take place in different continuities.

Incredible Member

I honestly think Emerald Knights is a bad idea. It's hard to understand why they decided to make some standalone short stories in one direct-to-video animated movie. Maybe kids like it but as far as I can see the stories were not presented intersting as any exemplars like Wild Tales. And the protagonists of the stories are hard to recognize for those who are unfamiliar with Green Lantern, let alone growing on audiences ... I can't even remember the name of the original character "first lantern".
    All I can guess is Green Lantern really was a popular franchise at that time. So they decided to use it to introduce more characters(also, sell more toys) and expand the universe for the next animated movies.

Liked both but First Flight is obviously the better of the two.

I dig the GL uniform designs in them, probably my favorite different take on the uniform that isn't the standard one.

Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    I honestly think Emerald Knights is a bad idea. It's hard to understand why they decided to make some standalone short stories in one direct-to-video animated movie. Maybe kids like it but as far as I can see the stories were not presented intersting as any exemplars like Wild Tales. And the protagonists of the stories are hard to recognize for those who are unfamiliar with Green Lantern, let alone growing on audiences ...
    Agreed. I first saw Emerald Knights at a "preview screening" at a San Francisco comic convention, where they also had the cast of the Ryan Reynolds movie, Bruce Timm, Geoff Johns, etc. It was...okay. Kind of low-energy, somehow. Lots of exposition, followed by some workmanlike adaptations of fun comics.

Months later I pulled out the blu-ray to watch the special features. Bruce Timm was saying how lucky they were to get Nathan Fillion as Hal, but with that came an interesting admission - the original plan was to have the film be narrated by Sinestro, since EK was designed as a prequel to the live-action movie. So pre-Hal Jordan.

WB heard about this very late in the game, and freaked out - "The main character doesn't appear? Fix this." So Timm & co. had to scramble - animate new scenes, rescript the dialogue, and find a voice actor for Hal Jordan in just a few days. They got Nathan Fillion on very short notice, while he was on a break from his TV show.

Whereas First Flight? The best Hal origin / Sinestro fight put to film. So far anyway.

First Flight. But then I'm not terribly fond of anthologies in film or an individual TV episode format. One big story better than several tiny ones. It only works in books and TV series (each story is a full episode, rather than an episode has several stories.

"First Flight" because it's about Hal and was a whole story rather than an anthology. EK, highlighting a bunch of random GLs just shows how arrogant they were with thinking they could create a franchise without making ABSOLUTELY SURE the movie was good enough to get people interested enough to support one. Classic case of putting the cart before the horse, imo.

Astonishing Member

Hmmm. No vote yet for Emerald Knights.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Both were pretty damn good (I haven't watched either in a LOOOONG time), but First Flight gets the nod from me too.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Extraordinary Member

I seems to be a bit of a blowout. Some people like EK, but everyone it seems likes FF more...

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    I seems to be a bit of a blowout. Some people like EK, but everyone it seems likes FF more...
    Yeah, it's not like anyone is saying EK is bad or sucks or anything, everyone seems to like it. They just like FF more like you said.

My favorite parts of EK was Mogo's short and space samurai woman short (I'm not a GL fan so I don't have all these names memorized).

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    "First Flight" because it's about Hal and was a whole story rather than an anthology. EK, highlighting a bunch of random GLs just shows how arrogant they were with thinking they could create a franchise without making ABSOLUTELY SURE the movie was good enough to get people interested enough to support one. Classic case of putting the cart before the horse, imo.
    I don't know if it's arrogance so much as just piggybacking off the movie to tell a story that expands the mythos.