View Poll Results: Which movie did you like better?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • First Flight

21 95.45%
  • Emerald Knights

1 4.55%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ellingham View Post
    Agreed. I first saw Emerald Knights at a "preview screening" at a San Francisco comic convention, where they also had the cast of the Ryan Reynolds movie, Bruce Timm, Geoff Johns, etc. It was...okay. Kind of low-energy, somehow. Lots of exposition, followed by some workmanlike adaptations of fun comics.

Months later I pulled out the blu-ray to watch the special features. Bruce Timm was saying how lucky they were to get Nathan Fillion as Hal, but with that came an interesting admission - the original plan was to have the film be narrated by Sinestro, since EK was designed as a prequel to the live-action movie. So pre-Hal Jordan.

WB heard about this very late in the game, and freaked out - "The main character doesn't appear? Fix this." So Timm & co. had to scramble - animate new scenes, rescript the dialogue, and find a voice actor for Hal Jordan in just a few days. They got Nathan Fillion on very short notice, while he was on a break from his TV show.

Whereas First Flight? The best Hal origin / Sinestro fight put to film. So far anyway.
    I'm glad it turned out that way. I don't think I'd enjoy EK without Hal.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Ah, the heyday GL in media.

JL: New Frontier 2008
    GL: First Flight 2009
    GL: Emerald Knight 2011
    GL: The Movie 2011
    GL: The Animated Series 2011-2013

New Frontier told Hal's origin pretty well. First Flight does the smart thing and takes Hal off Earth for some space adventures.

Emerald Knights I found really bad. I've only seen it once, but I recall not liking that a DTV release was just a collection of short stories of random GLs. Only Kilowog and Abin Sur were the fan favorites added. I don't even think there were any epic battles of space cop action. I may be mistaken though.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    Ah, the heyday GL in media.

JL: New Frontier 2008
    GL: First Flight 2009
    GL: Emerald Knight 2011
    GL: The Movie 2011
    GL: The Animated Series 2011-2013

New Frontier told Hal's origin pretty well. First Flight does the smart thing and takes Hal off Earth for some space adventures.

Emerald Knights I found really bad. I've only seen it once, but I recall not liking that a DTV release was just a collection of short stories of random GLs. Only Kilowog and Abin Sur were the fan favorites added. I don't even think there were any epic battles of space cop action. I may be mistaken though.
    those were good times...

I love First Flight! I need animated movies from Emerald Twilight, Zero Hour, Final Night, Rebirth, Sinestro Corps War and Blackest Night!